News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Montpelier, VA, October 17-18, 2009

Started by crashkid2k, October 22, 2009, 01:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crashkid2k

Saturday morning dawned cold, windy, and rainy at Cavalier, and the weather didn't improve much for the next two days.

Despite the foul weather, the shooters greeted us with smiling faces and good attitudes.

We managed to shoot a full AQT late on Saturday, and continued on Sunday.  The shooters improved significantly over the weekend; Mike (jmdavis) kept the notes for the shoot.

Sunday was just as rainy and miserable as Saturday, so we expected lots of no-shows.  Much to everyone's surprise, all of the shooters came back for Sunday!

This was a great Appleseed; we had shooters who shot well and accepted instruction well.  Cavalier provided very nice facilities, and I'll be happy to return there any time.

My wife came along and took some pictures; I'll try to post them soon.

jmdavis

I think that we got some good results at the Montpelier shoot. We shot two redcoats on Saturday. Here are the results:

Saturday Morning (21 Shooters)

100 yards            10
200 yards             3
300 yards             1
400 yards             0
square                 1   

Saturday Afternoon (18 Shooters)

100 yards            13
200 yards            10
300 yards             4
400 yards             4
square                 5

clean                   2

The improvement from Saturday's instruction is obvious. Sunday we also found two more Americans "who know well what they are about." Frank scored a 214 on the first AQT of the day and Fred (no not that Fred) scored a 222 on one of the last.   

As Crash noted, we had a cold and rainy weekend. But we made the best of it and discovered a couple of new Riflemen to boot.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

crashkid2k

Pictures from the weekend:

crashkid2k

Pictures from the weekend:

lifehertz

I know it's been a couple months since this went by, but I wanted to express my appreciation for the cadre at this event. I had a great time shooting and hearing about the founding history. I've been practicing my AQT and am planning on coming back for that rifleman patch... once the weather warms up!

Thanks all.

crashkid2k

Mild weather certainly makes marksmanship easier!

The weather at the October Appleseed at Cavalier was unprecedented.  That's just not the kind of rainy, nasty, cold that happens in mid-October around here.

Check the 2010 schedule for upcoming Appleseeds; the VA schedule is not set yet.

We hope to see you soon...

crash

FiremanEd

Thank you all for your patience on the 2010 schedule.

We are waiting to hear back on a couple of date confirmations.

You can put down at least 2 shoots for the April 17/18 weekend. One in Buckingham and one most likely in VA Beach, if not there then somewhere in VA. We will have two shoots on that weekend to celebrate the April 19th events of 1775.

We'll get that schedule up asap!

Eddie
Are you a Rifleman or a clerk?? 

"Men sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part"   George Orwell