News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kansas Study Night Tues Oct 5th

Started by The ][rishman, September 30, 2010, 12:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The ][rishman

I will host another study night October 5th.  7:00pm

Rifleman Hobbs will regale us with stories of his recent adventure.  Plus we can work on upcoming PCs for those of you who are ready to take the next step.

PM me if you need directions.  I will provide refreshments.  I hope to see you there.  All are welcome.

][
III
"Thou shalt never be a perpetrator.
Thou shalt never be a victim.
And thou shalt never, but never, be a bystander." Yehuda Bauer

An Phoblacht abú
KD0OHT

ksuguy

Sounds good.  I hope I can make it, I'm on call next week so it will depend on if I get stuck dealing with something for work.

gpbbiker

Just so you know, there will be a quiz!!  ;D

There is a reading list, but If your reading stack is anything like MY reading stack there is no way you will get these read by Tuesday Oct 6Th. But I will put the titles here as a reference for other folks. The seminar I went to was presented by a fellow by the name of Lt. Col Dave Grossman. He is a military and police trainer. He is, not to put too fine a point on it, one the best of the best. If you are ever fortunate to find yourself in the presence of a SPEC OPS service member or a DELTA service member, they have been trained by this guy. What does he teach?? How to breath and how to think so that you can survive the toxic environment of combat, physically, emotionally, and be OK! He also teaches a lot of other things, so if you are not familiar with him you NEED TO BE!!
His work tells us much about how to make our world a much less violent place!!
The two titles of his that are required reading in the War College are; "On Killing" and "On Combat". If you think you can read only one, read, "On Combat",
It is NOT an exaggeration to say, that for me, reading these two books changed my life.
There is a tremendous amount of crossover and utility in Lt Col. Grossman's work and the Mission of Appleseed!! Come Tuesday night and find out what that is!!
You can find out more by going to; www.killology.com

Oh yeah; another book worth reading is; "Last Child in the Woods" by Richard Louv, But that is for another time!!
"Never pick a fight with an old man, if he's too old to fight, he'll simply kill you."
Loosely attributed to both Ernest Hemmingway and John Steinbeck
"Life is nothing more than the pursuit of stories worth telling to children" - Me

ksuguy

I have heard of colonel Grossman, but I'm not familiar with his training stuff.

He is often cited by the crowd in favor of video game censorship due to some stuff he worked on back in the early to mid 90's.

4bfox

I've read "On Combat", but it's been awhile....
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

gpbbiker

Good Point! KSUGUY! Make sure I cover that on Tues!! I think you will find the response "interesting"  ;D
"Never pick a fight with an old man, if he's too old to fight, he'll simply kill you."
"Life is nothing more than the pursuit of stories worth telling to children" - Me

ksuguy

I kind of like the idea of adding book reviews to the study night.   I'm currently reading The Ultimate Sniper by Major John Plaster.   Lots of good info on how to shoot better in that one.    I'll bring my copy in case an one wants to look at it.  It is a big book and kind of expensive,  but worth it.

The ][rishman

I thought the night was a success.  We learned about breathing techniques, and even some dryfire techniques. 

I thought the highlight was the discussion about Narrative.  We can change the culture by changing peoples narratives, or the story by which they live there lives.  This is why the history is so important.  And why you have to make the story personal.  Personal from us, Personal to them.

Great job Biker. 

Great suggestion KSUGUY.  Book reviews and lending have already started.

Stay tuned for the next study night syllabus.   
III

An Phoblacht abú
KD0OHT

AnnieOakley

Ditto! - Great study night!!!  and fresh out-of-the-oven cookies are awesome!  O0

4bfox

Yeah, I know....those warm cookies are hard to beat! I REALLY wanted to go...maybe next time....
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

ksuguy

I just hope I'm not on call next time.  It's been non stop at work this week.  I'd be willing to host one at my place too, it's a little more centrally located for John and Ben.   

The ][rishman

Quote from: ksuguy on October 07, 2010, 10:32:52 PM
I just hope I'm not on call next time.  It's been non stop at work this week.  I'd be willing to host one at my place too, it's a little more centrally located for John and Ben.   

Yeah but will you bake cookies?

][
III

An Phoblacht abú
KD0OHT

gpbbiker

I forgot the Quiz!! >:(
SO........ Here it is appleseeders! In a high stress, high threat environment; what is an Autonomic body function we can control??  &)

And today's poetry is:

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are just targets,
Nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them,
for they make the battle.
Ah, but the one,
One is a warrior,
And he will bring the others back.
- Heraclitus

I believe this is in both; "On Combat" by Lt. Col Dave Grossman and "The Book of Two Guns" by Tiger McGee.
Sounds like an appleseeder to me!
Matthew: 5-14

ksuguy

Quote from: The ][rishman on October 08, 2010, 10:00:37 AM

Yeah but will you bake cookies?

][

I'm not very good at cookies, but I can make brownies pretty well.  Ill have to get the debris out of my basement first though.   Been replacing the drywall that got damaged with that water leak I recently had.  Hopefully that will all be fixed next week.

AnnieOakley

I don't know where "centrally located" is, but consider our place available too.  We have a large carpeted room in our basement in case we all want to practice dry firing at the same time (and an oven for baking cookies!). 

gpbbiker

Ooooooohhhh!!!!
This just keeps getting better! What say we just punt the study night and just eat cookies fresh out of the oven!! ;D

4bfox

Quote from: Ohioann on October 08, 2010, 08:37:08 PM

I don't know where "centrally located" is, but consider our place available too.  We have a large carpeted room in our basement in case we all want to practice dry firing at the same time (and an oven for baking cookies!). 

WHAT! CARPETED FLOOR?! Wow....sure beats lying in gravel or mud! No unrelenting sun, bloodthirsty mosquitoes, or hot brass going down your neck...I dunno, may be TOO civilized....

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

POP

GPB:
QuoteI forgot the Quiz!! Angry
SO........ Here it is appleseeders! In a high stress, high threat environment; what is an Autonomic body function we can control??  clownbat
This one's EASY. ...  BREATHING.    :~ :~ :~ ^:)^
Remember, we're Riflemen.  We are always in our bubble. **)

Ya'll are doing a great job in Kansas. 

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

Mobilesparky

Quote from: AnnieOakley on October 08, 2010, 08:37:08 PM

:D
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." --Benjamin Franklin

AnnieOakley

Hi Mr. Oakley!   ;)

Quote from: Mobilesparky on October 22, 2010, 09:47:49 PM
Quote from: AnnieOakley on October 08, 2010, 08:37:08 PM

:D

gpbbiker

Hey!
When is the next study night anyway??
And don't we have a Kansas Instructors Boot Camp (IBC) coming up??
Inquiring minds want to know! :)

4bfox

Quote from: gpbbiker on October 23, 2010, 02:10:45 PM
Hey!
When is the next study night anyway??
And don't we have a Kansas Instructors Boot Camp (IBC) coming up??
Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Don't know...at least that's the last answer I got (on the IBC). Waiting on the "big cheese" (whomever that is) to make a decision. We have a tentative date in January at the Camp.

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

gpbbiker

Still looking for confirmation on that AIBC, the Oklahoma guys are all over it!  :)
HEY!!
I was listening to the Appleseed Radio Podcast this afternoon and who should call in?? AnnieOakley!!!!  and family! you go girl!! ^:)^
They want to have a report from the Winterseed. Heck!! If this weather pattern holds it might just be a Dandy Late Fall seed! IF THE WEATHER PATTERN HOLDS. Not too likely in Kansas!! :D
We have a saying in the mountian bike circles in Kansas; "the weather you start with is not necessarily the weather you end with"

AnnieOakley

I sure hope we get to have a real winterseed - those patches on the home page look cool!