News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Last Appleseed for 2008!

Started by SamD, December 29, 2008, 02:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamD

The Alamogordo NM Appleseed was the last for 2009. :'(

Alamogordo provided fantastic weather to aid us in making this Appleseed a great success
Our total annual snowfall of 2" came on Friday night and aided by the 31 deg. daytime high temp and 25-35mph winds(gusting to 47), Saturday provided a test of persistence for any Rifleman. 14 on the line.

1 new Rifleman joined the ranks on Sunday and I'm sure he will be here on the board to join us soon.
Steven, our youngest shooter was real pleasure to work with, and even without a properly sized rifle, is effective to 100 yards O0.  A pretty serious young man. We didn't have him doing the transitions, but he was down there on that very cold ground, hammering out 2 and 8, making predictable hits, Rifleman's cadence and making his times, SAFELY.    I am looking forward to spending some range time with over the next few years.  His dad joined us for the IBC, and will be wearing an Orange Hat soon.

We all learned a lot and there are several good New Mexico men and women well on their way to Rifleman.

Thank you Ashrn03, TaosGlock, BlueFeather, AZRedhawk and esp AzGromit for making this happen.

NM is well on it's way, Come join us in April at the Whittington Center in Raton.

Sam

Wheeler44

Sam, Ya got me feelin' like Rip VanWinkle.  I sure hope that ya mean "last shoot for 2008" 'cause if I missed a whole year I'm gonna be P.O.ed
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Wade

Quote from: Wheeler44 on December 29, 2008, 02:23:10 PM
Sam, Ya got me feelin' like Rip VanWinkle.  I sure hope that ya mean "last shoot for 2008" 'cause if I missed a whole year I'm gonna be P.O.ed

Yawn,,, What Have I been stuck in Denver that Long :o ::),same weekend I worked with 2 guys from CO things(imho)are looking good for CO this next year.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

SamD

Yeah all you RIPS missed whole year ;D

Corrected :o

Sam

Sistema1927

Beautiful weather indeed!

It was so cold on Saturday that during the ball & dummy drill I was unable to tell with 100% certainty that my son wasn't flinching due to the fact that he was shivering too much.  We had a blast, and intend to continue to build on what we learned.  I have been shooting since I was 8, to include some competition in my younger years, but I learned a few tricks that shrunk my groups.

We had to get back to Albuquerque on Saturday night, but after a good Mexican dinner in Tularosa we saw a huge Oryx on the side of the road between Carrizozo and San Antonio.  Better to see him on the side of the road, since you wouldn't want to hit one of those beasts with your truck.

Thanks to all for putting on a fun, informative, and safe shoot.

TaosGlock

The "Land of Enchantment" hosted the Appleseed Project's last shoot of the 2008 season in Alamogordo. What an experience it was!
The beautiful weather was typical for New Mexico in December.
AZGromit's superb job as SB and instructor was apparent from the get go!

Friday evening a typical mini snow/ice storm came thru southern New Mexico.
While the morning temps were 21 degrees according to my trucks computerized thermometer, the sky was a beautiful purple-blue color.
The words "Valley Forge" were jokingly bandied about more than once thru out the weekend.
ashrn03 scrapes the ice off just before the sun rises. Note the cold weather gear.

The base of the shooting range, thankfully, is on the valley floor, well below the lofty summit of 12,005 foot Sierra Blanca,
southern New Mexico's highest peak.

Once at the range, we removed a few ice encrusted tumbleweeds and swept the snow from the firing line and set up the target backers.
BlueFeather and SamD don their cold weather gear. That famous warm New Mexico sun finally rose, just as 14 eager shooters showed up.
We had a father and son team, a husband, wife and daughter team and groups of best friends show up.
We had a preacher and his son show up and a father with two of his daughters also present.
What a fantastic group of Americans all hungry to learn about their heritage and marksmanship!

The gray cold quickly yielded to New Mexico's traditional blue sky.
While noontime temps reached nearly 50, a slight desert wind caused the wind chill factor to hover just above freezing.
Below, BlueFeather gives the group "the first strike of the match" of the  American History portion of Appleseed. SamD followed up with "the second strike of the match".
ashrn03 later gave "the third strike of the match".
Shooters quickly learn that Appleseed is an American Heritage program with an outstanding Traditional Rifle Marksmanship program.

Below, SamD in the black hat gives the "second strike of the match."

This mother and daughter pair up for the famous "Ball and Dummy" drill. Shooters pair up to detect and cure any shooting problems.
One shooter role models the "coach" while the other shoots.    Then they switch off. 
ashrn03 is shown adding some extremely valuable points of instruction, as he did throughout the weekend.

Another "Ball and Dummy" drill pic. The snow and cold persisted but so did we. In fact, we overcame it as a Rifleman does.
AZRedhawk44's excellent instructing got this pair of shooters quickly advancing. The "shooter" in the pic made "Rifleman".
The "coach"  later shot one of the finest Stage 1 standing targets I have ever witnessed. Congrats!

SamD calls the line on the "standing" portion of a typical course of fire. 
Our youngest shooter Steven, was in prone. He adapted and overcame the 2 cold but beautiful days to the end.
His persistence served as great encouragement to the other shooters. Good job Steven!
And thanks to his dad David (to his left) who brought this fine young man.
BTW, this pair camped out too!
Appleseeder's are truly a cut above the norm.

Here young Steven is just starting to get out of prone while shooting the "Hits Count" target.
The "Riflemans Quarter Mile" was near the ridge on the skyline and all the shooters present would have kept the "Redcoats" running.

A father (who made rifleman) and daughter:

The red hue of the setting sun and the long shadows signal the end of the final day of the 2008 year for the Appleseed Project.
AZRedhawk44 instructs to the end:

The last Redcoat target being shot with 3 shooters from Las Cruces in the foreground.
AZRedhawk44 watches this end of the line, as do SamD and AZGromit on the far end of the line. 

A pic of the seasons last shot being fired at the 2008 Appleseed Project! Way to go everyone!

On the drive back to Las Cruces, BlueFeather and I watched the sun set on both another successful Appleseed season and the mighty 12,005 foot summit of Sierra Blanca Peak.

And finally, a mucho big thanks to SamD for letting the instructors stay at his place!
The warmth and hospitality he and his wife shown was exceptional!
He also paid the range fees!
TG
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

voortrekker

BUURRRRRRR!!!!

Those pics look cold considering I am in central TX!

Fantastic job New Mexico!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you AzGromit, AzRedhawk44, TaosGlock, BlueFeather, ashrn03 and SamD for your time and effort whilst instructing.

AND, thank you very much for the terrific pics too!     :)

brett out.
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

Dirty Bill

Great pictures. I learned a lot from them. Thanks. O0
"On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions,who at the dawn of victory,sat down to rest,and while resting,Died.

"Watch the Wind..."

The Machine

Congratulations Sam and crew, good way to finish off '08--with a bang! :~

Very nice pics, although a bear to download with dial up, worth the wait though. That kind of weather probably reminds you of WV in Jan/Feb, doesn't it Sam? The scenery is beautiful with the mountain in the background.

It's encouraging to see the young folks turn out like that. Hopefully, they were inspired enough to bring some of their friends to future ASs.

As an added bonus, I noticed you had a participant that was a lefty, like myself. Dam southpaws...we're always in our right mind! ;D

"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

WestTx

You all had all the fun! Congrats on a great shoot. Wouldn't expect anything less from that crowd.
Rifleman. That says it all.

Fred

Great report!

Only I'm a little confused.

Did you guys say it was COLD?

I'm confused, because I'm being told that folks in WI, MN, and IL (among other states) go in the house in late Oct-early Nov, and don't come out again until sometime in early May.

Because of "the cold".

Is it possible that these good people have been misinformed? That people can go out and shoot, "in the cold"?

If so, perhaps this "last of the year" AS is even more important for the flaming beacon of a message it sends to other states, as wondering Americans began to venture out of their warm, snug houses, rifles in hand, to find out that you can shoot "in the cold" - can not only shoot - but learn how to shoot accurately - and learn some American history and heritage - when it's cold.

Can this be so? Can this really happen?

You guys mention "Valley Forge". Is that because it was "cold" at VF?

Would this mean that people in, say, Wisconsin, can have an Appleseed in March? Maybe even - shudder! - in February? Or January?

If so, you guys in NM have done a signal service for your fellow Americans in the "cold belt" by showing them that Appleseed can be done in "the cold".

But first, maybe we should reassure these timid northerners a bit. How many of your shooters suffered frostbite? If less than 10%, that would be a plus.

How many wandered off in the snow, disoriented and confused? Again, if it was less than ten percent, that would be a plus.

Ten percent frostbite and ten percent "disappeared without a trace" - and, assuming no overlap between the two - means that 80% of your shooters made it thru, and got back home.

Seems to me if you can save a nation with casualties of 20% and under, you should be out there, Appleseeding.

In "the cold".

I can hear the collective sigh of relief from the northern states: "We can Appleseed all winter! We don't have to be home-bound, frustrated at doing nothing all winter! Thank you, New Mexico! THANK YOU!"

You NM guys really do deserve thanks. Like the Founders, whose example may just save this country a second time, your "end of the year" AS may just create ripples far beyond what you ever thought, in corners of the country you may never visit.

Heartfelt thanks! [They are tough nuts to crack. But maybe your example will do the trick. :)]
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Nickle

Fred, ask the Northeast team about "COLD" on Feb 9th. We've got an Appleseed in Mass Feb 7/8 and should be thawed back out (and home) by the 9th. I even get to run an Army Guard range 10/11 January, in northern VT.

Actually, I spent a couple of years down in the Alamogordo area (El Paso, isn't that close, but anywhere is a distance down around there), and I never thought it got THAT cold.

For most of us in the snow belt, the real problem is snow depth, more than temperature.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Old Glory!

Wow!  NM, you are inspirational.  O0   Pictures do tell all. 

I'm the one from WI who didn't want to go lay prone on the ground for the weekend in the SUMMER with the bugs, heat, SUNburn, earplugs, etc., but went along anyway to be with my husband.  Now Fred wants me to not only go out in the snow and the cold and the wind to shoot, but I should be expected to set up an AS and get OTHER fellow Americanus duffusus to JOIN me. !@#)    Sheesh Fred,  :~ :~ :~   Here I go, out of my comfort zone again.

Nickle, I don't think Fred is going to let us off the hook because of the depth of the snow.  Just remember to demonstrate the seated position; it works well for shooting OVER SNOW.  Sometimes the standing position is required for shooting over snow DRIFTS. 

For NOW, NM holds a strapping hardy stalwart "cold" AS award! 

Ohgeeez!

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

AFTERMATH

Sounds like I missed another great Appleseed. :'(

Dang job.  Dang bills. !@#)

I would love an Appleseed up here in frozen MN.

Tomorrow it's supposed to warm up to 5 degrees, and the wind is only going to be about 15mph.  There's no more Appleseeds but, I've got the day off, and that sounds like a great day of shooting to me.  :)
I'm going to drag my cousin out of bed, shovel out a couple of shooting lanes and I'm going to teach him how to shoot.  I might even be able to convince his GF to participate as well.

I guess we'll have to shoot the .30's to keep our fingers thawed. ;)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Fred

OK, you northerners, here's some Appleseed help for you!

If you can shovel out a "couple" of shooting lanes, you can shovel out three.

If you can shovel out three, you can shovel out four.

If you can shovel out four, you can shovel out five...

Can you figure out the rest? :)

And can you hear the guys at Valley Forge? "They said what? They said they can't shoot, 'cause there's snow on the ground?

"Pass me that jacket, I'd rather wrap it around my feet than my shoulders..."

I'm telling you guys (and Old Glory, too, of course). You can do it. Saving your country is not a summer project. Nor is it only for days when the sun is out.

Besides, I heard that shoveling snow warms you up real good...

Man, it's got to be great, getting to shoot after a couple of hours with a snow shovel. Makes you appreciate what fun it really is!

And don't you think only of yourselves. How about those poor freezing Minnesotans, just aching for an excuse to come down to balmy Wisconsin, "Riviera of the North", to warm up with a little Appleseeding. Can't you have just a little heart to spare for the less fortunate?

Let's get some Appleseeds scheduled quick in WI, to improve the morale in Minnesota - can we? Please?

@)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

Sistema1927

Getting away from the weather for one moment (did anyone say that it was cold?), I would be remiss if I didn't publicly thank TaosGlock for providing ammunition for my son.

My AR was running smoothly, but my son was having trouble with intermittent jams in his 10/22 with ammo that has worked in that carbine in the past (Federal bulk pack, maybe a bad batch?).  TaosGlock came to the rescue with some Federal Target Auto ammo, which worked like a charm.

And do you know what?  He refused to take any payment for this ammo, telling us that just the fact that we had shown up was thanks enough.  You meet the best people at the range.  Thanks, TaosGlock!

Garand69

Excellent work NM! O0

SamD, we havin' fun yet?? 8)

Old Glory, where is your compassion, letting those poor unfortunate Minnesotians freeze! Their your neighbors, host a shoot for them poor lil fellers so they can warm up! ;D
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Old Glory!

Taos,
Your snow pictures are attracting those pesky northerners.  :D   

Congratulations Bluefeather, telling history!  I hope to meet you on the AS trail. 

Since you like snow ;) maybe you'd like to come to the "Riviera of the North" as soon as we get a WI winter AS on the schedule. :D

Bring your shovels.

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

SamD

Now that I'm back on teh board, I'm having fun ;D

I may have to come up with something special for all the folks in Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Have to dig into the pack and see what I can find for them.

Irrespective of cold, I had a great time as always.
You meet the best people at Appleseed.

Sam

TaosGlock

Thanks to ashrn03 we have some more pics:

SamD and BlueFeather setting up before the crowd arrived. BlueFeather checks out SamD's nifty "Sight Alignment"-"Sight Picture" magnetic board.
This really helped with those steps.

Just getting set up before the rifles are on the line. Old Glory proudly flies in the cold New Mexico breeze!

TaosGlock and BlueFeather getting started on Day 1.

Early morning Day 1 prone demo TaosGlock and BlueFeather:

Day 2. On the line are TaosGlock with AZGromit and AZRedhawk44 on the far end with SamD calling:

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

traveler

As a participant in the frostbite shoot I have to say thank you to the excellent staff.  They epitomized the 3 Ps. professionalism, patience, and perseverance.  While we got to sit or lie out of most of the wind they were constantly up and down the line braving the elements to keep us safe and progressing.  I found it surprising how much I had forgotten since leaving Paris Island in 1967.  I also learned that GSG5s do not like Blazer ammo and that a scope at 25M makes it real easy to blast someone else's targets. :D
Since the end of the shoot I know of 4 marlins that have been ordered ($135) at Walmart.
I'll be shooting again the end of FEb when it moves indoors O0
New Years resolution: I will be a rifleman by august!!!

Was at the range today, will be there tomorrow and Sunday.  Got to get rid of that Blazer stuff somehow:-)

The impossible just takes a little longer.

SamD

Welcome aboard Traveler.
Good to see you on the board and I look forward to seeing on the range soon.

We'll work out a couple of practice sessions and you'll have that rifleman patch long before August.
More like March at the latest.

Sam

Fred

Good, SamD.

I figure by Aug, he'll be not only a veteran rifleman, but a veteran Red Hat RWVA instructor...

Sheesh, people still have no idea how fast this program can work on ya... O0

traveler

I'll be at the range sat and sunday breaking on my new marlin:-) anybody know where I can get extra magazines locally?? :~ :D
The impossible just takes a little longer.

SamD

Check Big 5. the one here usually has them in stock, out right now.
Sam

AZRedhawk44

Brrrr!!!!

Okay, I think I've thawed.  I've had a chill since this shoot that just would not go away!

What's wrong with this picture?   ;)

A random pic from Sam's house:

New Mexico is pretty, even when dusted over with snow.

You guys covered the bases pretty well in your AAR, I just want to congratulate the NM team.  We're gonna have quite the crew over there.  Very enthusiastic group of instructors in that state.

SavageShootr

I must be missing something...is snow on cactus not normal?   **)

Great Job out there you guys and gals!!

Welcome to all the new Appleseeders.

I hope to meet all of you on the trail.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

LayloPro

SS,

I'm with you on this one.....cactus with snow on is the appropriate watering method for the cactus.....and that's not very much snow to boot.....

We need to send them some pix of a Tahoe So. Beach shoot, in say...February, or something......let 'em find out how much of that "blue snow" gets scrapped off on our side of the Sierras..... ;D ;D
I'll have to start looking around for ranges up there now....... <:)

But seriously, it is -SOOOOO- good to see NM stepping up this way....you guys got it going on!!
Keep bringing 'em to the line!!

LLP

"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Old Glory!

Did someone say snow?

LayloPro

But where's the cactus's???

Or the ranges going 24/7/365??? **)

"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.