News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramah CO - 21/22 JUNE 14

Started by Gear Head Patriot, June 23, 2014, 12:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gear Head Patriot

This past weekend we had a phenominal Appleseed at Ramah Colorado.  With the fullest line we've enjoyed in well over a year, our students brought an incredible amount of energy to the line.  That might have been in part due to the fact that of our 23 students, 9 were under 18!  On Saturday we added a new IIT to our ranks, after Mike.45%er scored a 222 on the AQT and accepted an Orange hat, which he wore proudly while assisting students and working the line.  Our most senior IIT, The Dud, had an opportunity to present the First Strike which he did with great style, only to be outdone later in the day when Morpheous, on loan to us for the weekend from Georgia, presented an extremely moving rendition of Patrick Henry's speech to the Virginia House of Burgess. 

On Sunday the weather moved in just after lunch, but not before we were able to complete two AQT's, allowing three of our students to earn the coveted title of Rifleman!  Congratulations Kevin (232, and cleared his Red Coat the evening prior), Sean (210, with a Henry Lever Action) and Corey (210)!

Prone to Knit

And don't forget the wonderful dinner provided to us by the SB's wife on Saturday. Thanks, Victoria!

Kim
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Gear Head Patriot

Morpheus teaching the standing position, with a student demonstrator!

Gear Head Patriot

A student listening to his target talking to him...

Gear Head Patriot

First full line at a Ramah CO Appleseed in quite some time! 

Morpheus

It certainly was a phenomenal weekend in Ramah! I very much enjoyed my time there and it is gratifying indeed to see such an enthusiastic group of shooters come out and persist through the sunburn and severe storms and make this such a great weekend. All of those young shooters did so well with safety and were looking to improve their shot group sizes. I have no doubt that there are many future riflemen amongst them.

The students are the reason why I do Appleseeds. As Gear Head Patriot stated during the event, Appleseeders are all volunteers. But it is payment enough for me when I see the spark of liberty ignited within someone where perhaps that spark had never been kindled. It is payment enough for me when I see a shooter whose shot groups were not even on paper for the first Red Coat target and then finishes that day with three shots in the 100y or 200y silhouette. It is payment enough for me when folks shake my hand after a long, hot day in the sun and say what a great time they had even though they are peppered with brass burns and sunburn and are discovering a level of soreness in muscles that they may have never used quite like this before. Thank you students, for taking your valuable time to spend with the likes of us. We do appreciate that. Remember the 7th Step! Tell others about Appleseed and get them to the line with you the next time. Colorado is blessed with many ranges with fine facilities and it would be a shame indeed if these upcoming shoots not be sold out!

It was definitely worth the time and effort to travel up from Georgia and be a part of this fine instructor crew. Gear Head Patriot, Brass Bucket, Tomcat, The Dud, Mike, Mustang Rifleman and Colorado Pete have a great camaraderie and Colorado is blessed to have the likes of them. Thank you for your hospitality. (and for the great meal Saturday evening by Victoria and Prone To Knit!) I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if time and schedules allow.
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)