News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Miamisburg, OH: Sept 19-20, 2009

Started by MeanStreaker, September 22, 2009, 11:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanStreaker

What can I say?

Another great weekend.  We had 15 shooters participating in a traditional American skill and learning their unique American heritage.  Unfortunately, I learned late last week that four folks would be unable to join us.  Hopefully they can make it back to Miamisburg on Nov 7!

This group was outstanding.  The first couple of squares showed that everybody had an 8MOA group, with most doing better.  And we only had one repeat Appleseeder on the line!  I asked a few folks where they learned to shoot and I heard back, "Well, I've been reading the website and reviews around the web and trying to practice at home ahead of time."   O0

We tightened up those groups and welcomed two Riflemen to our ranks with several more scoring above 200.

Congratulations to Jorge (Firehose)  and Gregg (gliming)!  Welcome aboard!

I know that Jorge persisted for a long time to get that patch.  I dragged him to his first Appleseed last summer in Canton/Minerva, OH a couple weeks after he bought his first firearm ever - a 10/22.  We spent many cold afternoons on the range last winter practicing what we learned at that event.  It was an honor to award him his patch for that well-used shooting jacket.

While the marksmanship was great all around, this group also seemed to understand the Appleseed Mission as a whole coming in. 

All in all, an Instructor can't ask for anything more.  Except maybe an expansion of the Miamisburg line so we can fit 80 shooters.  :~

Safe shoot.
Good shooters.
See you at the next one.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Hoover

This was one of the single best experiences that I can remember in quite some time.  As a first time AS shooter, I have more shoots that I am very much looking forward to.  I began the event knowing very little about rifle shooting and left knowing far more about myself than I had expected.  I remember realizing the morning of the second day that some of my groups seemed to be off (that I couldn't explain) not because I was lacking quality instruction, but that I was expecting them to be off.  Shrugging off self-inflicted constraints and developing an immersive focus was an awakening experience.  There was a great deal of experienced empowerment that day and it was not limited to shooting skills.

All of the instructors and instructors in training were fantastic.  Rotation helped with getting fresh perspectives and bad habits identified.  But, one instructor in particular--Luna--was instrumental in making the event truly outstanding for me.  The conviction and delivery of oral histories of our nation's beginnings served to reinforce duty and principle in a way that was compelling and unforgettable.

Luna

Gliming it was a pleasure to meet and work with you this weekend.  It is exciting to watch a shooters group tighten as they absorb all the instruction and then acheive that Rifleman score.  It was an honor to present the Rifleman patch to you.  I undertsand that you may be interested in joining us more often on the trail, even trading in the bike hat for an Orange hat.  You would make a great addition to the team, I look forward to seeing you at events in the future. 

Another great experience sharing a weekend with like minded people, enjoying our Liberty and Freedom and spreading the message.