News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ottawa, IL - 9/19-20 AAR

Started by TreadCarefully, September 21, 2009, 12:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreadCarefully

Guess what happened at Ottawa this weekend. It rained! Seriously, I'm not making this up. It rained at at Ottawa Appleseed. At least on Sunday.

One Rifleman Saturday, one wet one Sunday. Nice job everyone! Great group of shooters with several people getting close (including one with a 209!). Lot's of perseverance, mostly by the women.

More details once I get dried out.
Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

AFTERMATH

Leaving with a two-oh-nine; has got to burn..... Luckly, you had all that rain to cool them off.
Go Ottawa! IL-that is; not Canada.  (that's the difference between rain and snow)

O0 Riflemen

The rest of you hang in there, persist, perservere. You'll get it. ;)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

bobapunk

I actually thought about you guys today when it was pouring...

Garand69

It rained???

I can't comment on Saturday, but it was nice to see some friendly faces return to do battle with the AQT (and they had been rained on at Ottawa before, so they knew full well!)

That 209 is harsh, but I beleive we will see him and his wife again. 3 Rifleman is always better than two, but you know what they say....

"A Rifleman a Day will keep Fred at bay"

Congrats go out to the Rifleman Couple!!! It is always nice seeing Families on the trail, especially when they leave as a Rifleman/Rifle[wo]man Team.

It was great working with Team Prattski and Gumbalhead, You folks did a great job and will be an asset to team Illinois. TC, nice to see you in IL again :)

For the rest of you. I hope to see you all on the trail at least once more this year, persevere persevere!!!
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

prattski

We had a great weekend at Buffalo Rock Range. The range and staff was fantastic as was the attitude of the shooters. Everyone in attendance was very attentive during instructions and ready to get to work putting what they were learning into practice. It did not take long for the shooters to settle in and start making some nice groups.

By the middle of day two we had a lot of shooters really getting their positions down, and seeing their AQT scores starting to rise, then, after lunch, the unbelievable happened. Rain, in Ottawa of all places. Even so, a number of shooter persevered through the steady rain.

It was nice to have several couples shooting together. Two new riflemen came out of the weekend: Congratulations to Eric, on Saturday, and his fiancé, Breezy, on Sunday. I am confident that if it had remained dry through Sunday afternoon a couple more riflemen would have surfaced as well.
I would like to thank all of the shooters for taking the time to come out and learn about our heritage, you truly are great Americans and showed a HUGE amount of perseverance. As a new IIT it was a pleasure to watch your skill levels improve over the weekend.  TC, Gumballhead, Gopher Boy, Garand69, DonZ, and Mrs. P, it was a pleasure working with you all as well.     

Gumballhead

Hi Everyone,

I had a great time at the event - my first time wearing the orange hat! :D  It's certainly a different event when you're not a shooter (especially when you're calling the line!)  

We had great weather Saturday O0, and a new rifleman to boot!  Congratulations Eric.  Great group of shooters, and I could definitely see some improvement from the first red coat to the last one of the day!  I'm a little saddened I was unable to come Sunday.  I missed seeing the progression of the group, and the additional Rifleman, but I am happy I stayed dry  O0.

We had some good history too - hearing all 3 strikes of the match.  A real benefit for the Saturday only shooters.  After all, we're about the heritage too.  Speaking of history...what about those grenadier mosquitoes @ Ottawa??  i'm used to the lightfoot variety, but seriously, these guys were the size of small birds!  They even came ready to battle with war paint on!  I remember smacking one off my shoulder, and unfazed, he looked back at me, taunting me for more!

To the shooter with the 209, keep at it, you're going to break through next time for sure.  I shot two 206's and one 207 before I got through, so I feel your frustration!! Practice at home DRY firing, and getting your NPOA.  Practice helps more than you might believe!!

A BIG thank you to TC, JoeZ, prattski, & mrs. prattski - you helped me get through my first event as an IIT!  

I will see you all on the trail...

Pappy

Hello Group; I wonder, If we had a Appleseed in Ottawa every day for forty days, would we need a ARK?????? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :~ could be :). If you come to Ottawa bring rain gear, You will need it!!!!!! <:)
Well done and welcome to the new Riflemen. A huge attaboy to Team Illinois Staff, way to step up, did I see a border raider in there?? JoeZ, and  O0 O0 :) Things are much different when you are the ones calling the line...Thanks to all who made the event one to remember. For those of you who are right on the edge, do you have 20 min three times a week??? Set yourself up a DRY fire range in your home and use it. Next Appleseed your scores will show it, IF you practice by the numbers, each and every shot counts.... Who wants Kettle Corn ?????AS always Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

OpelBlitz

The whole experience was very enlightening, and I wish I made it on Sunday.  When I woke up Sunday morning, I just couldn't get out of bed. :(

I'll make it up... I'll be there next time. :)

TreadCarefully

Glad you made it OpelBlitz! See you in October (or perhaps sooner if you want to travel a bit ;) )
Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."