News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur d'Alene September 12th & 13th overflowing goodness...

Started by Earl, September 14, 2009, 11:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl

Here I am back home and looking for a place to put my comments on the greatest Appleseed I ever have been part of... and looks like Fred thinks I should build it and they will come.

I was really worried about this weekend, seven really nice instructors and almost eighty registered shooters, lots of youth and women and a hot beautiful weekend. That was a bit daunting, but a Rifleman persists. Now we have a place to post.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Earl

One of the nice things about blogging format is quick links to add information.

This is what I wrote on my blog earlier today:
http://wmearl-justthelibrarykeeper.blogspot.com/2009/09/my-weekend-and-camera-troubles.html

That is only the beginning; the number of new Riflemen, the number of repeating Riflemen, the number of new ITTs, the number of promotions to RWVA Instructor and higher levels of ITT recognized ability, the great people meeting at the range for a weekend of finer shooting and listening and discussing our heritage and Appleseed's mission, all too much for my current post, I have to eat breakfast and get ready for work, it was a long drive in the darkness last night.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

tdow

It was an honor to spend my weekend meeting shooters and fellow instructors.  Without fail, they are the best people out there.  I really can't find the right words to describe it.  Getting to help them makes it even better.

Congratulations to all the new Riflemen, IIT's and to Rod for getting his red hat!

I would also like to thank Bob at the Fernan Rod and Gun Club.  He is a truly first class guy.

--Todd

Pa Rah

This was truly a great Appleseed. There may have been a few to many shooters for the space that had been dedicated (two full bays) for the weekend but, if any one of the participants had not come some of the richness of this American experience would have been lost.

Everyone I met had come to learn. This was particularly evident the last couple of hours on Sunday.

Everyone was hot, and tired late in day. At this point of an Appleseed I've seen people just give up and go home early. Not this group! This is when they buckled down and really worked; practicing each of the six steps and systematically reduced their group sizes. I was very impressed and expect to see a lot more riflemen coming from Idaho in addition to the 20 something percent of the shooters who shot rifleman this weekend.

It was great to work with hawkhavn, Earl, Reformed Redneck, and Western Rose for the first time. RL what can I say, thanks for taking the floor Friday night. tdow it's always my pleasure, you have a good heart and a dedication to what is good that is apparent to everyone who knows you.

Also, I want to say thank you to hawkhavn for your preparation and communicating your plan in advance of the event. It couldn't have worked out better.

PS. The week end was summed up by Emily age nine on the last Red Coat on Sunday, "OK, this is what we have been practicing for".   
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Ronald Reagan

Scott

Alright...here's the inaugural post.  Heather and I want to say a big thank you to all the instructors...especially Earl.  This was Heather's 2nd AS and 2nd time at the CDA range.  I know she wanted Riflewoman, but I did not realize it meant that much to her.  She is still quite ecstatic! 

She worked hard and persevered...even with the hot brass (30-06) burning the small of her back.  Ouch!  :'(   She is a tough cookie.

Thanks again and we will be seeing all of you again I am sure. 

Western Rose

Hawkhavn, thanks for wearing your green hat. 8) Your the first shoot boss to do so at any of the shoots I've gone to. Thanks for coming out it was great to meet and work with you.

Earl, it was a blast working with you as always. I was looking forward to it since the Lewiston shoot. Thanks for coming down again.

RL, I don't have a picture of you.. Thanks for coming down and then putting up with me for the whole first day. :)

Tdow, I didn't get a picture of you either. I didn't get to work with you at all this weekend but I look forward to doing so in Nov.  8)

Pa Rah, it was great doing parking lot drill with you. Thanks for all of the help and advice.  <:)

The group Sat. morning. Thanks for coming out folks! O0  

The flags at the lower range.

The group at the upper range. We didn't get any pictures of the group at lower range.

Good job, Andy! We don't have a picture but Andy took on the orange hat!

"I told you you not to get a 210" Well, I didn't but someone did.  ;D

I had a lot of fun working with David, 10, Jamie, 10, and Emily, 9, on Saturday. David didn't once forget anything when he safed his rifle. O0 <:) Emily kept getting Jamie's hot brass and would set down her rifle before jumping back out of the way. O0 8) I didn't get a picture of you three but I wish I had.

More pictures to follow.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

hawkhavn

All,

Just got in from the airport...

Thank you to everyone.

What a great weekend!  More later tomorrow tonight...

hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Earl

This was a great Appleseed, but I didn't take my normal amount of pictures, others will have to post. I do know that my greatest reward and the Shootboss allowed me the privilege of awarding the Rifleman badges won on my line, on Sunday that was rocking. Craig's Crew was knocking off AQTs like they were only made for them.

I know the NPOA works, I was watching the shooters proving it to themselves over and over, I have to thank Ed's POI, it was quick and effective and covered all the things we need to soak the shooters with, and then Todd mentions it could be a good idea to use Fred's yellow sheet for the shooters to figure out their own problems, and that worked well, too.  I always like to learn new tricks.

One wonders having seen the progress on those two days of the young children and the ladies, why everyone isn't coming to Appleseeds, to have a great time learning about their heritage in a safe, friendly environment, ask your neighbor.

Earl

One of those "Where's Waldo" pictures, the butterflies landed, the ground squirrels improved their homes all while lots of people perforated paper perfectly.

patronus of licentia

Just wanted to say thanks to all the instructors for the donation of their time over the weekend. I figured since I was bringing 4 young kids ages 6-10 and one new shooter I would be spending all my time helping my kids. There was more help from various individuals than I would have thought possible. I was able to shoot almost all day Sunday because of this. Thanks again. For anyone out there wondering what age to start there future rifleman, after this weekend I would say the sooner the better. My youngest shot a Cricket .22 that didn't perform very well but still enjoyed herself immensely. All other children did well started off by not hitting paper on Saturday to scoring lots of hits on Sunday. Not bad for only their second time shooting and first time with rifles. Appleseed is truly what this Country needs not to just learn history and how to shoot but also to get out there, meet all the wonderful people involved and do something! If your still sitting on the fence hop off and get involved. I know time is scarce and most people want to stay off of all the wonderful lists, but no one has ever won any kind of battle by hiding and waiting. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying a weekend outside with some of the nicest and safest people in this great land.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
"Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he then be trusted with the government of others?"
Thomas Jefferson

Cedarpole

I just wanted to thank all the great instructors for putting on this shoot.  My wife, grandson, and I had a terrific time, and we can't possibly begin to tell you how much we learned (and improved).  You're a great bunch!  And the participants were outstanding as well.  I've never met a better bunch of folks; always kind, helpful, and encouraging.  We've been to lots of matches and shoots over the years, but the Appleseed Shoots are by far the most "family friendly"!

Pa Rah

Sunday afternoon tdow introduced a NPOA exercise (using two green AQT targets) that was very effective. He mentioned that he had seen a post on the Appleseed site about this exercise. Maybe we can get him to share the link with us and/or explain to everyone this awesome teaching tool in an Internal AAR post.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Ronald Reagan

Western Rose

Saturdays Riflemen and Riflewomen.

Good job, Mike!

Way to go, Bob!

Becky, I told you you didn't need that post for standing.. &) Good job!  <:)

Brandon, well done!

This is Becky's Dad (Rich) getting his patch. Good job!

Ron, Well done!

Becky and Father. Rifleman team!!  O0

Timothy, well done!  8)

I believe this is Jansen or was it Jonathan... Good job!

Loren, what can I say. ??? Well done! At your first Appleseed without any dryfire before hand and only having shot about 100 rounds ever before. :o It was a real pleasure working with you. <:) Thanks for coming and bringing that very, very teachable, good attitude. You were the first shooter I have worked with that made the cut and got their Rifleman score. I hope to see you again sometime.

Heather, it looks like we don't have a picture of you getting your Rifleman patch.. Congratultions!

Not only a Father and Daughter Rifleman team.. but also a Father and Daughter Instructor team!!! Thanks for taking on the orange hat!! Becky, I can't wait to be able to work a shoot with you!  :~ :~

Congratulations, Pa Rah!!
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

tdow

Quote from: Western Rose on September 15, 2009, 09:59:53 PM
Saturdays Riflemen and Riflewomen.

I don't recall your name, sorry. This is Becky's Dad getting his patch. Good job!

That's Rich.  He always brings a few extra shooters and always knows the best place to find a loaner LTR  ;).

--Todd

tdow

I just scrolled down and looked at all the targets.  Everyday folks- men, women, and children- but then again very special people- Riflemen.  We just need to get more Americans to do that, and I think that Fred just might be right about saving this country.

--Todd

Reformed Redneck

Friends,

I really can't add much to what the others have said. As my tribe pondered at dinner last night, we agreed unanimously that this was the best Appleseed shoot we had either participated in or instructed at. Fernan is a great facility, and Bob is truly a magnanimous host. Hawkhavn supported all of us working the line, and it didn't seem like we ever hit a snag. Thanks for all of the organizational work you put into this shoot. RL gave the most coherent explanation of IMC I have heard yet. Everyone seemed to get it. It was good to work with Earl again. I enjoyed getting to know Pa Rah a bit, and am glad to have him as part of our Idaho team for Appleseed. I didn't get to work with Todd, but we're almost 'neighbors' up here, so we'll have plenty of opportunity.

I was well impressed with the shooters. It was my pleasure to meet them all, and there are quite a number of them who will likely get their Rifleman patches on their next try. A couple of the guys that couldn't come back Sunday were looking like they might make the Rifleman score, and hopefully they will be back to do so soon. A fair number of the participants had been to previous shoots and it is always a pleasure to see you all coming back for more.

Congratulations go to all that made Rifleman, and to those who took the orange hats. A special congratulation goes to Andy, who was mostly responsible for getting our first Appleseed in Idaho in 2006. He shot his Rifleman score this time, accepted the orange hat, and has committed to helping our state team in developing the program. Thanks, Andy!

I need to also say thanks to the rest of the instructor staff. Because of your encouragement and allowing my youngest redneckette to help coach some of the shooters, she has decided to pursue a Rifleman patch. We'll have her signed up for the Lewiston shoot in November.

There is much more to say, but I don't want to become overly lengthy here. I look forward to seeing you all again at the next opportunity.

One last item. Craig, if you see this post be sure to tell the Mrs. that those cookies were really, really good!

Happy trails,
Reformed Redneck
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

hawkhavn

BTW, the Inland Empire now has two father/daughter IIT teams!

Great shoot all, I certainly enjoyed working with everyone I met - on the line and behind it.  I can see that in a year or so Idaho and eastern Washington will be doing great things, I believe this was a 'cusp' shoot.  You have hit that inflection point where the snowball is now rolling downhill and picking up critical mass.  One shooter mentioned having 50 home schoolers ready to go now, this is when it really gets fun!

Hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

RL

I don't think I have anything to add. Great shoot, thank you to everyone for coming out, and thank you Bob and the Fernan Rod and Gun Club for hosting.
...and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people.
John Adams, from the Boston Gazette, February 6, 1775

We live, my dear soul, in an age of trial. What will be the consequence, I know not.
John Adams in a letter to Abigail, 1774.

Earl

Got to go, but the best compliment I have had in a long, long time.... "you didn't disappoint" from someone that is doing a fine job of carrying America to its best again. Great shoot and the glow doesn't go away, nor the grin.

GunslingerGirl

That was my best Appleseed shoot, for sure. I made so many new friends! Thanks for throwing such a great shoot. Now, to study!

Becky

Fred

"To study" - for an orange hat, I presume?

Don't you - or anyone else - sell yourself short in this program.

This Appleseed effort is about maximizing your effectiveness as an American.

I know that now you may be focused on the 'impossible' task of shooting that first 'rifleman' score.

Be aware, we're serious in what we say: Take all the basics you learn that first day at AS, and put 'em into practice, and you WILL shoot rifleman. No question about it.

Beyond rifleman, there is the "instructor" mission - that's where you can really start to shine.  This is when your life really changes, and you become what you want to be. Someone doing something. Someone making a difference.

I often hold up the Rifleman badge at an AS, and say, "If you love your country, this is what you want to earn".

But immediately, I'll hold up the "Instructor" badge, and say, "If you REALLY love your country, this is what you want to earn..."

It's true.

And you can do it.

Every one of our talented instructors in this program was once where you are now. Struggling to win that "Rifleman" badge... :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

hawkhavn

Fred,

Yep, GunslingerGirl and father have already stepped up as IITs.  That makes the third father/daughter instructing team I have come across!  Including the second one there in the ID/WA area.  These folks at CdA know what they are about...

Hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

TruTenacity

Here are some more photos of the long range shooters.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

GunslingerGirl

Yea, I meant studying for my first PC test. It's a lot! From the AS shoots I've already gone to I remember the 4 safetly rules and how to make a gun safe, but other than that I have a lot to study. Of coarse, my dad already has this in the bag...

Becky

Scott

Quote from: TruTenacity on September 17, 2009, 07:35:51 PM
Here are some more photos of the long range shooters.

Thanks for the photo...now I have a nice avatar.   ;D                               

TruTenacity

@Scott:  You're welcome.  Wish we had a picture of Heather to send you.

I thought before the next wave of After Action Reports come in for this weekend's shooting I'd share my experience from this shoot.  I've only shot at three AS so I don't have a lot of experience to compare to, but I must say, this was the smoothest, most helpful course of action I've shot.  Thanks for thinking through the course, hawkhaven.  Job well done.  I made some progress, shooting a 209.  One of my children said, "Mom, at least you didn't have to get wet."  Thanks son.  I'm about to the point that getting wet would be fine with me.  If I can get my happy finger under control and get my shooting eye to obey and stay open I think I'll be fine.

One of the highlights of my weekend was meeting such fine folks, once again.  Another was seeing Earl again.  (My children really like you.)  Another highlight was getting reports from Westernrose about how well the children were taking instruction.  Too bad we didn't get photos of them.  Heather, our other daughter, was encouraged by the progress a gal she was coaching was making.  Heather has been hesitant to join us at shoots though she likes shooting at home.  This is the second shoot she attended and the second time she's been able to coach.  We haven't pressured her, just had her come along and get a feel for what we enjoy at AS.  The most satisfying news was Heather's announcement that she wants to join us, shoot Rifleman, and then take on an orange hat!  She's been so faithful to dryfire.  She puts me to shame.  A big thank you goes out to the Shoot Bosses, Instructors, and IITs for all the encouragement you've given her.

TT 

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9