News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Carmi IL. 9/12-9/13

Started by Mudcat, September 13, 2009, 09:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcat

What a beautiful weekend for an Appleseed! The weather could not have been any better from start to finish.
This was the first shoot at the Carmi Rifle Club, and they say it will not be the last. A great little club with a big heart and big desire to spread the marksmanship knowledge.
Myself and YellowhouseJake arrived friday evening and set up camp we sat around talking of the upcoming shoot in great anticipation. In the morning XDman, Riflegirl and a new IIT Clay (needs a screen name) showed up. There was a small # of shooters preregistered and could be contributed to the 2 fall festivals going on in 3 towns within 20 miles. We ended up with 13 on saturday and 10 on sunday. But we hit the line after the introduction and safety briefings. These youngsters and adults were some of the safest I have ever seen at a shoot. They all came with a very teachable attitude and took to the instruction very well and improvements came quickly. A few rifle issues and lack of slings made it difficult for some but they stayed with it and the results were impressive. A great lunch catered by the club both days was a helpful thing as we could do our history while we ate under the shade with out people going into town to get a bite. The voluntary sermon given by the club president was inspiring and the fellowship was an asset. I like this idea more and more and it is strickly voluntary and before the shoot begins so it does not take anything away from the time of the shooting or instructing time. 
We produced 1 Riflewoman this weekend with a 235! But many more were knocking on the door and everyone showed lots of improvement over the weekend.
I want to thank all the shooters and the members of Carmi Rifle Club again for giving Appleseed the opportunity to bring our marksmanship and heritage to them.

Mudcat
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Garand69

Excellent work Mudcat  O0

Sounds like a great time. I can't thank you enough for taking the ball and running with this one. It is easy getting caught up in Border Raiding Wisconsin while leaving our south eastern border un-guarded from Hoosier Border Raiders, but this case was definitly a win win.

We have room for 4 shoots there in 2010, you think they may be interested?
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Pappy

Hello Mudcat; Well done to you and Jake, it can be a great help when the group is all there for the same reason. The range sounds like its quite a place and the host was very receptive to the program. Hope we can get out that way next time. Again great job, Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

yellowhousejake

Hats off to the Carmi ( which I learned is pronounced karm-eye ) Rifle Club! The range is clean and well maintained, the staff is wonderfully supportive, great cooks, and truly happy to have us there.

Thanks to Mudcat for running a great event, we had a safe and productive shoot where everyone went home knowing more than when they arrived, including me. I would work Mudcat's line anytime.

DAve

PS, if you plan to race Mutcat to the target line, bring your track shoes. He wore those poor kids out.
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Molly B.

A huge thank you from the Carmi Rifle Club!  We were very excited about hosting our FIRST of hopefully many Appleseed events.
A special thank you goes to Mudcat for approaching our club about hosting an Appleseed and for hanging in there when we hit
a snag or two in the planning stages.

We want to commend Mudcat and the whole Appleseed team for the excellent two-day event at our club.
Both days the instructors were prepared, ready, and started on time.
All the instructors were just super patient, willing to help, very competent, and so friendly. They not only made everyone feel welcome from the youngest shooter to the oldest shooter, they also made us all feel like we could be riflemen.

The instruction presented was VERY informative and effective - we could see everyone's scores improve throughout
the weekend.

Many of us spend a lot of time and effort fighting for our constitutional rights and our Second Amendment rights in particular -
it was wonderful to spend two whole days in the beautiful outdoors with like minded souls and hearing the history of how those rights
have been protected, preserved, and handed down to us.

It all served to remind us of why we should fight hard and stand vigilant in maintaining those rights.

Molly B.

Mudcat

I guess I could go ahead and tell you all that Molly B was our lone Riflewoman this weekend with a score of 235!
Sunday afternoon I was watching her shoot the stage 4 and when she was done she stated that she was so involved in shooting her rifle that she didn't even hear anything else around her or realize we were even there with her.  O0 I then brought the group of shooters together and let her tell them her experience and then I gave them the term that Appleseed uses, Riflemans bubble.
A very rewarding shoot for me. This was one of those shoots that inspire me to do more and keep on finding a way.

A special thanks to everyone involved. I can't wait to do it again.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Mudcat

Quote from: Garand69 on September 13, 2009, 09:52:57 PM
Excellent work Mudcat  O0

Sounds like a great time. I can't thank you enough for taking the ball and running with this one. It is easy getting caught up in Border Raiding Wisconsin while leaving our south eastern border un-guarded from Hoosier Border Raiders, but this case was definitly a win win.

We have room for 4 shoots there in 2010, you think they may be interested?

No problem, but is it really border raiding when I actually lived in and escaped the land of (insert latest convicted felon politician here) years ago?

I did bring to Hoosier shooters with me, that has to account for something.
--George Washington

RedFox24

Mudcat, DXman, Yellowhouse Jake and the others whos names escape me...........

My story is this: It was the best time I have had shooting in a long time.    ;D
To say I learn a lot would be an understatement.  To say that my son Matt didn't walk away with whole pot load of knowledge to practice with, this being his first ever kind of shoot or instruction would be an understatement as well. While he got tired toward the end of the day, he has not stopped talking about it!!

How much fun was it for Matt?  Well he told me he wrote an essay at school today on what he did this weekend:  Appleseed Shoot.  Hopefully he wont get expelled for writing about guns and shooting!!!

This was the best run and most thought trough instruction I have seen or been to.  That says a lot!!!!  Some of the military and related training and such I have been to has not been that favorable. 

But the thing the impressed me the most was that over half the shooters were under the age of 16.  And the staff did worked their tails off to teach the kids proper safety, gun handling and shooting technique.  I was impressed.

I was so impressed that at the end of the day, I joined the RVWA as an associate member and am going to put their website on my site to help promote the Appleseed Project. 

And I will be practicing so that I can shoot "Rifleman" at the next Appleseed Shoot in the area and I will be taking the whole family next time.

Good Job to all the RWVA/Appleseed range people at the Carmi Gun Club Appleseed Shoot!!!

RedFox 24
KC9FVK
Kelly
"Preparedness is not an event.  It's a continuous process." 
Dr. Julie Gerberding, Director, CDC

yellowhousejake

RST 599 KC9FVK!!

We enjoyed having you and Matt attend and we hope to see you again. Sorry I didn't get to work with either of you Sunday but what I heard was Matt did well.

YHJ

73s
WB9VTB

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ