News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Winona MN Sept 5th & 6th Appleseed 3rd event!

Started by Sven, September 06, 2009, 11:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven

The Winona Appleseed event concluded this afternoon with the addition of eight new riflemen from a field of (I believe) 25 and at least one new instructor to the effort.  The weather couldn't have been more accommodating and the facilities were beautiful.  This was my first Appleseed as an instructor and as the adage goes, "if you want to learn something, teach it", that sure came home to me.  I couldn't have had a better time, the students were great, lots of enthusiasm, good effort and upbeat attitudes, the same for my fellow instructors and congratulations Mogs on getting your red hat.  I look forward to seeing you guys again in the future.  :)

"I was spotting one day and M2 was hitting baseball sized dirt clods at 300yds away. DON'T F/K with an old man with a Garand... " RED DAWN

Whisker

Winona's third event, Minnesota's fourth.  Right off the bat I could tell we were going to have an adnormal amount of riflepeople.  I was thinking 10-15% riflepeople by the end of the week.  As hours moved on, I realized we were going to surpass that expectation.  We had near a 1/3 of the shooters scoring "Riflemen" by Sunday.  Wow.  This is a huge number. 

I'm was glad to see some returning faces.  Lots of campers.  Folks from Iowa and Wisconsin.  The Wisconsin couple (Jay and Anne) both came and shot the score.  I feel confident saying our newer shooters will be returning to future events.  Congrats Mogget and Kevin for the hat upgrades!  2010 is looking to be an exciting season with this surmounting enthusiasm. 
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

Mogget

Minnesota's fifth: Winona x3; Elk River x1; La Crescent x1.  Just because you were out fiddling around in SD when we did La Crescent, Whiskers...! 

;)

And it was great fun!  Congrats to all the riflefolks.  Special mention goes to the two young men, Mike and Johnny, who persevered through some hot weather and frustrating equipment issues to show us that they are quite capable.  Just a bit more practice to achieve consistency, and you'll both have it!

Mogs

AFTERMATH

One year since I attended my first shoot(as a shooter), at the first shoot in Minnesota, at Winona.
I returned under my new Red Hat; to instruct.

Arriving while the sun was still above the horizon(pretty good for me), on Friday evening; I was greeted by faces, old and new.
There was the tried and true Trnka crew, who keep on multiplying.  Craig, whom I'd encounterd only before on Facebook.  And Chris and his son, Mike, who as it turns out are quite local to me.  Whisker and Kevin down at the range getting things ready.
Quite a few campers that night.  As we had a few roll in later.
Anne came in later, bringing her Andy with her.
Most of the conversation centered around the Trnkas' bonfire...  Proving, even the smallest flame can light the torch of Liberty.
After adventures in Bristol and Osage Beach; it was great to be back in Winona!

The morning started off with more faces old and new.
More shooters and more Instructor crew.

Brad76(Brad), who'd been at the previous Appleseeds in Winona(Getting a Patch at both, and is in fact MN's third Rifleman), finally made the prudent decision to wear the Orange Hat. Prudent, because this time, I had my stapler ready.

Sven(Andy), whom we'd picked up at Elk River, only months earlier; also dawned the Orange Hat for the first time.

Mogget(Jill), as well, came wearing the Orange Hat that she'd picked up in Winona on April 19th, 1775... I mean 2009.  She would retire that hat this weekend.

Whisker(Kyle); who at this time last year picked up his well deserved Rifleman Patch, this time he topped his head with a Red Hat.

vmt193(Mike); who picked up an Orange Hat, at Winona last year; had a Green one this weekend.

All in all we had a great Instructor Corps. 
And if you think I'm blowing smoke; 8 Riflemen out of 25.
And more than a few; pounding on that door.

Saturday, produced one Rifleman, Kevin.  Kevin was there at the first one.  He made the decision to cook for us at the second.  Not only does he no longer have to cook; he grabbed the Orange hat!

Sunday we kicked it into high gear!
We started with a fast-paced review, then systematically began cranking out Riflemen...And a Riflewoman.

Craig on his on his first Appleseed decided to show off by scoring Rifleman on probably every QDAQT Sunday.
He would like to consider the Orange Hat; but wishes to make the cut with iron sights first.

Greg had been working real hard at his two previous Appleseeds; pulled it together.  And got his patch.

Jay, whom I met in Shiocton, last June.  Confirmed, once again, that he is a Rifleman. 
And his wife Anne, also made the cut this weekend to be our Riflewoman.
Anne's gonna talk him into that Orange Hat.

Shawn(I hope I'm spelling your name right), also fought his bad habbits to aquire that magic number.

Jesse(at least; I, didn't forget about you ;)) had been working hard at this as well; despite the fact that he didn't dryfire enough &) and liked to drag wood, he earned his patch.

Jody, was there at all three Winona Appleseeds as well.  He was banging on the door since the beginning.  He decided this would be the day he scored Rifleman!

By the way, Jody;  I am inclined to remind you of this photo I found on the AAR of MN's first Appleseed

Winona's New IIT's HUZAAAH!!!
I'll give Mandy the slide; at least untill she scores Rifleman(which won't take much)
I am also inclined to remind you; I do have a stapler. &)

[I'll have to continue this at a later date, as my battery is dying.]
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

vmt193

I know the feeling. It's been less than a year and a half since I dragged my son to our 1st Appleseed.

This was, 'fer sher', one of the best all around groups of shooters I've seen at an Appleseed yet. But when you figure that Appleseeders are probably somewhere near the top 2% (maybe 1%) of all Americans, it's tough to find bad ones.

A big "Thank you" to everyone for being so cooperative and especially to the top notch MN instructor crew. (Even though Jill has migrated to the kingdom formarly ruled by Brent Favre, she's still one of our own MN homegrown Appleseed instructors!) O0

I may have miscounted by an AQT or so but I figure that the overall round count for the weekend was right around 600. With a good crew of shooters, that suggested brick of .22lr just isn't quite enough to make it through to the end of Sunday afternoon.

RIFLEMAN ROUND-UP:

With a lot of practice an many rounds downrange out of his LTR since last September, Kevin was our first Rifleman on Saturday with a 226. He immediately took the seventh step, accepted the orange hat and worked the line all the next day.

Sunday morning Jay, came out smokin' with 232. Greg, with a couple Appleseeds behind him fired off a 218. The Jay's wife Anne, with a 210, took her official baptism well. :D  Jesse finished out the morning with a double 217 & 222, and Craig tripled with, 212,221, & 238.

After lunch came Shawn with a 212, and Jody, attending his 3rd AS, and after choking with a 208 caused by not 1, not 2, but 3 evil fliers, sent some accurate fire downrange, doubling with a 214 & 231.

Congratulations go out to the riflemen as well as all the other shooters because I think everybody came away a winner!

The shooting was outstanding and not to be outdone, our new IITs performed well with some great history being told.

AFTERMATH

Mogget for Farve:  That's the worst trade we've ever made.  We got @#$@%$#
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

AFTERMATH

Here's some pics; in no particular order.

Kevin, gets his patch on Sat.  Tired of being Winona Sportsmans Club's 'Resident Gourmet Cook;'  he's been practicing all year.

Kevin, now under his new Orange Hat; gazes at his Patch with pride.  He's earned it.

One of the Red Hats using Chris, for a model.

Anne makes the cut.

Just barely.

Greg proves 'the third times a charm.'

Jesse proves himself as well.

Jay does it again!  Anne's talking to him about an Orange Hat.

Craig's first Appleseed... He shows up; then he shows off...

And then it was Shawn.

And well, Jody, being the gentleman he is; decided to let his brother Jesse make it first(as well as everybody else).  After his third Appleseed(at Winona); he finally proves he is a 'Man amongst Men'.  A 'Man who knows very much what he is about.'

Jill hit the Trail after Winona, last April...She's earned that Bright Red Hat.

I'm not good at taking enough pictures. (Actually; I'm not sure I actually took any of these. ++) )

javaguy

Chris and Michael checking in - hey we had a GREAT time and wanted to thank everyone again for excellent instruction and hospitality!  Weather was perfect and congrats to all those new Rifleman and women! 
The blending of American history and marksmanship really worked - well done.  We've been spreading the word to friends as well - I expect we'll be bringing some of them to the next event.
Inspired by Craig's backyard practice range, we have just about completed our own little 25m range out back.  A little more mowing, prepping, dirt-moving and we'll be ready to get out there and practice up for next time - working on that npoa.  Michael's friends are ready to bring their 22's and try the challenge as well.  Funny how it catches on so quickly :-)

vmt193

Hi guys

You're welcome! Sounds like your working on that 7th step already. We'll keep you posted on future Appleseeds so we can get those young'uns started out a lot earlier in life than I did. O0

vmt