News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Van Etten AS Aug 22-23

Started by Imker, August 24, 2009, 09:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imker

Stats:
Saturday: 21 shooters
Sunday: 28 shooters
Riflemen: 2
New Red Hat: B9

Master Instructor: Nickle
Shoot Boss: Imker
Instructors: B9, Northbridgewater, Zercool
IITs: The Blonde, Gunville, Chainsaw, Rumsey 5646,1shot0, Kathy,
(Apologies if I forget anyone.) 

Weather co-operated by paying no attention to forecasters. Had no rain to speak of. Humid on Saturday but quite acceptable.
Range was laid out with 25m, 100yd, 200yd, 300 yd, 500yd (steel silouete) , and 600yd targets.
New port-a-john facility at sight. Nice touch. Hayfield was verdant and mowed at critical areas.

Saturday: Started on time, completed all instruction on safety, six steps, positions, inches/minutes/clicks, and NPOA by 2 pm, shot beginning and ending redcoats, several square sighter targets, two greencoat sets, and several practice AQTs. Got in stirring First and Second strike histories. Total round count in excess of 270.

Sunday: Started on time, reviewed instruction from Saturday, shot beginning and ending redcoats with dramatic improvement over Saturday, shot squares and numerous AQTs.  Had several shooters arrive late, but managed to fold them into the line under the able tutelage of B9. Completed history with Third strike and a call for agitation and political involvement during these trying times. Covered come-ups and then opened the AS to full distance. Illuminating. Total round count in excess of 500.

Two Riflemen discovered. One is new shooter, a lady with a bolt action Savage who shot Rifleman with 39 shots in the allocated time.  The other, a left handed gentleman on a Marlin 795.  This program works!

Finished out the day, post AS, with three .50 cal rifles available for shooters to try on 600 yd target. Started out with three tracers which were quite dramatic.  Lots of smiles.  Finished and cleaned up range at 6:30 as storm approached.  A bang up time at the chataux!

B9

Early morning brief.

Dave does the first strike.

New Rifleman

New Rifleman

B9 doing the 2nd strike.

Imker gives the 3rd strike.

After the Appleseed, shooters got to try out a different rifle. safari ndefu gives it a go. Looks like he enjoyed it.

"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

B9

Just to help out my buddy Imker, I will touch up his list of Instructors. I know you had your hands full SBing and range set up/hosting.

Master Instructor: Nickle
Shoot Boss: Imker
Instructors: B9, Northbridgewater(Dave), Zercool, Chainsaw.
IITs: The Blonde, Gunville, Genmain, Rumsey 5646, Anders(is he now 1shot0?, Kathy.

As you can tell by the numbers, Instructors love to go to Van Etten.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Nut Farmer

What a great day!  It was my first Appleseed and I had no idea of what to expect.  I had one of the best weekends shooting I have ever spent in my life.  The instructors were excellent and I managed to go from an average shooter to a good shooter (not a Rifleman yet).  I can't wait for the next one I can attend so I can become a very good shooter.  I was so inspired by the caliber of people at the event that I now want to hold Appleseeds on my farm near Albion, NY.  B9 is going to help me out on this one.  A great organization (RWVA) filled with great people.  I would be honored some day to wear a red hat - now I just have to earn it!

ddtddt
NY DAR (Barre Center) Owner
NY Promotions Boss
PA Promotions Boss
WNY BOTG
SUPPORT RWVA - Hold An Appleseed!

ACP230

A nice bunch of centerfires on the line.   

northbridgewater

Good weather, very good turnout, great range, and the best range host! Unscientific calculations indicate 17% or so brand new shooters on the line, which means we are reaching a broader audience, I hope O0. Wide grins were reported on the line after satisfying clangs from the 500 yd. gong. Can't wait for next time!

garserio

This was my first Appleseed.  Awesome event and very well run.  Unfortunately, I could only attend on Sat.  However, two bad shooting habits were corrected with the advice from the instructors and I shot a 187 on the AQT.  I'll be back to earn Rifleman!

To Nickle:  You said you could send me the link to the AR15 users guide to help me dial my sights in.  I look forward to your email.

To Imker:  Thank you for the use of your land!

Huzzah!
Greg

Nickle

A low percentage of Riflemen, for sure, but that was due to so many new shooters. No ringers here, but a LOT of improved scores.

We gained 1 IIT, one of the new Riflemen. The other was the new shooter, and she simply wants to do another Appleseed or two first. Can't knock that.

Folks, my job is real easy when we've got a crew like this. The Instructors were great, the shooters fantastic, all came eager and willing to learn.

Greg, I'll get you that link.

https://rdl.train.army.mil/soldierPortal/atia/adlsc/view/public/24979-1/FM/3-22.9/TOC.HTM
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

TheBlonde

Hey, didn't we gain TWO new orange hats?  Eric was looking pretty proud of his...
Say you can, and you will.
Say you can't, and you won't.

techres

What a great group of shooters!  And what a variety of rifles as well.  The only problem with reading other peoples AAR's is the longing to be there with them when it happened.

Looks like a good time, and much learning was had by all.

Good job instructors, good job shooters, and hope to meet each and every one of you down the trail sooner or later.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Nickle

Quote from: TheBlonde on August 27, 2009, 10:09:53 AM
Hey, didn't we gain TWO new orange hats?  Eric was looking pretty proud of his...

DOH!

I forgot to mention Eric. Sorry about that, bud.

Eric elected to join us in the Instructor pool, for sure. He's proof that "Dynamite comes in small packages". I predict he'll be an awesome asset to the organization. Now, all FOUR members of the "northbridgewater" family are Instructors in one form or another.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

northbridgewater

Eric is still " looking pretty proud of his" orange hat. He will take it off to sleep ;D.