News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

La Crescent, MN - July 25 & 26

Started by vmt193, July 27, 2009, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmt193

This was the first Appleseed for the Gopher State Sportsman's Club in Minnesota's Apple Capitol, but very likely not the last.

On Friday evening we had 12 pre-registered and by 9:00 Saturday morning there were 20 shooters on the line. Laughing Shooter made it from up near Duluth to La Crosse before having some car trouble  !@#) that kept her away but she'll be back in Winona in September.

The line was all .22s of various makes and actions with 4weelin Dan B. the lone AR shooter.

There were 3 pairs of fathers and sons, and one father daughter team. The "shooter who came the farthest" award went to Andrea who came all the way from Ecuador.

Saturday started slow due to a lot of new shooters but with a quick lunch and some shorter prep periods, we made up time by the end of the day.

Weather was perfect! Temps in the mid 70s, ome sun, some breeze, a few clouds, and yes, even a little rain shower to cool us off. The redcoats showed some very nice improvement by the end of the day, and on Sunday just got better.

Grant, our youngest shooter, went for his couple minutes of fame by mentioning that one of his shots sounded funny. A quick poke with a cleaning rod popped a bullet out of the barrel that was stuck about 6" from the chamber. Good job, Grant!!!   O0  And remember, don't take that bullet to school for show & tell.

Sunday was Megan's day to shine. We shot a 10 shot string at Barney with eyes closed all the way thru, and she showed who the real master dinosaur exterminator was. Some may think she cheated and kept her eyes open, but I don't believe that. She had already been shooting for a day and a half with her eyes open and hadn't done that well yet. Megan, you've got to trust that NPOA with your eyes open too!  :~

Sunday afternoon the AQT grind saw Dakota step up and show that he, a young man of 14, knew what he was about by firing a 215 and a 222. Dan D. was able to make a VERY respectable showing with a 207 and 209. Next time Dan! (Maybe at the Chaseburg Appleseed?) While Quincy and Robbie were right there also, if they could have just managed to end up with the correct number of holes in their own targets.  &)

All in all, a great Appleseed! Thanks for being there.

vmt193 (mike)

SavageShootr

Sounds like a great shoot. Pics?

I am impressed with Grant knowing that there might have been a problem with his rifle.

Wish I could make more MN shoots. 70 degrees sounds great, and there is usually a good supply of grass out there at those events. Not to mention the really, really nice people.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

AFTERMATH

:)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

AFTERMATH

These are the first ones....
They finnished the day much better, but I can't seem to find the pics.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

AFTERMATH

VMT-2nd Strike :'(

AFTERMATH

Some instruction, by Mogget.
And a little Talking Target, with vmt193

AFTERMATH

::)

AFTERMATH

O0

LaughingShooter

omigosh, I wish I'd been there...I'm SOOOOO looking forward to Labor Day weekend!  :~

congrats to all!   :~

AFTERMATH

Thanks for the link!
That article actually came out on, Thursday, before the shoot.
It nearly doubled our turn-out!
Too bad it hadn't been published one week prior; We'd have sold-out!

Old Glory!

Go team MN!  Great pictures and an even better article.  Can you tell us how the article came about?  What type of efforts did that require?

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

vmt193

That was a nice article! I'll have to let Mogget chime in on how it all actually came about. I just gave her Bob Lamb's contact info and she took it from there. We had 11 pre-registered the morning that paper came out, and she received close to 20 phone calls between the time the article came out on Thursday and Friday evening. She was off for summer vacation and I think she spent most of the time promoting the Appleseed shoot!   O0  A good percentage of the shooters heard about AS from fliers she posted all over the area, but didn't get off the couch until they saw it in the paper.

vmt

dragonfly

www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Old Glory!

VMT, Aftermath, Whisker,
You helped us out a lot in WI.     It's good to see the Seed growing in MN.   We'll be watching that western WI border. ;)

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

AFTERMATH

QuoteYou helped us out a lot in WI.

Just re-paying the favor.

QuoteIt's good to see the Seed growing in MN.
O0

When a seed falls on fertile ground; it has no other option than to grow. :)

QuoteWe'll be watching that western WI border.

:-X

We'll see you on the Trail!