News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Danville, IL July 25-26 AAR

Started by TheEditor, July 27, 2009, 01:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEditor

Excellent shoot (IMHO)

Shoot boss The Guy (history with The Guy - it doesn't get any better than that)
SBIT The Editor
Red Hat EEL
New Red Hat Wurstmacher - Congratulations!
IIT's - the rest of the Wurstmacher clan, plus Revillie for good measure.  And Greybeard from MO.  (Greybeard, if you're a red hat, I apologize - I can't remember!)

Venue:  The first Appleseed at Danville Rifle and Pistol Club range.  Two club officers shot both days with us, and were favorably disposed towards the program; we have been invited back, and are looking at a date in early November. 

Shoooters:  22 Saturday, 19 Sunday (on a line that was estimated to hold 20 people.  We advertised as having a capacity of 40, but that would have been with a relay.  No relay, lots of shooting and instruction for all). 

Weather:  Thunderstorms Friday night, but by Saturday, the range was dry and ready for prime time.  Beautiful weather both days. 

Results:  Two new Riflemen!  Boba Fett on Saturday, and Cameron on Sunday.  One new orange hat:  Boba Fett was extremely pleased to break Rifleman, and even more thrilled to take the Orange Hat.  So now, located in the near environs of Champaign-Urbana, IL, we have six Red or Orange hats in the Wurstmacher clan, plus The Guy, The Editor, and Boba Fett.  With this many local instructors, we've got to find some more venues! 

A variety of people showed up for this one, and all seemed satisfied and happy with the results.  For shooters, we had several grandfather / grandson teams, a total of 11 under-21 participants, an older gentleman who needed his cane to get up and down, but did the positions anyway, a gentleman in a wheelchair, a double amputee who shot Rifleman on his prosthetic legs, another older gentleman who needed to stay out of the sun for health reasons, and used a large umbrella that moved with the sun to keep him in the shade. 

Only casualty:  One shade awning, owned by the rifle club, saw its final service on Sunday, gradually collapsing until at the end of the day, it was summarily dismatled and executed, with the advice and consent of those club officers present. 

Upon arriving home, I found this email from one of the participants: 

"Hi John,

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to you and all the instructors.  I am very appreciative of the time that they spend working with Ryan, my grandson...  He is a very intelligent kid and very limited in patience.  Saturday was a very hard day on me, not in shooting, but in dealing with the grandson... Anyway, several of the instructors, I think, sensed my frustration and stepped in to work with him.  I can't express in words how much the boy needed that.  It was a beautiful thing.  Sunday, he was a different kid. 

The Appleseed is a great training program.  I will be a better shooter because of the training.  I am excited to try to improve and become the EXPERT Marksman.  Great two days.  Great people and a great time.

Thank you for putting it together.  Please convey to all the instructor my sincere thanks.

George"

Lots of fun, lots of learning.  The way it's supposed to be. 

TE

John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

Garand69

Excellent work TE and of course the remaining Instructor Team!!!

Congrats go out to Wurstmacher for earning that Red Hat and of course go out to you TE for not only getting this shoot on the schedule for Illinois, but also stepping into the SBIT realm. WE NEED SB's ILLINOIS!!!!!!

Welcome to the ranks of Rifleman Boba Fett & Cameron  O0 Don't forget that 7th Step  &)

Any Pics??
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Boba Fett

Thanks Garand69. I've got pictures to upload as soon as I get them off the camera. Hopefully later today.

cmidkiff

Since I left at noon on Sunday, I missed seeing Cameron get his patch... I was sure he would.  Is Cam our first double amputee Rifleman?  Congrats Cam. 

Wurstmacker and clan, congrats on the red hat, and thanks again for the hospitality and all of the wonderful food!

All in all, a great way to spend a weekend!

Reveille

After taking in the events of this past weekend, I have been humbled yet even further by the untapped patriotism that runs deep in the blood of America today.  I have witnessed perseverence that would make my efforts look tame by comparison.  The gifts that are bestowed upon me are endless, and to think of the obsticles that others face and still persevere, is moving to witness. 

Thanks to all of you for coming out and taking the first step to becoming a Rifleman(Women).  This is no easy task and is something that I am striving to improve upon everyday.  I hope to see all of you again soon.

Team Wurstmacher;  thank you for the endless hospitality and the awesome food!  Gotta get me a Traeger!  Your house may never be the same after the invasion.  Congradulations again Chuck for the Red Hat, you will make a great Shootboss soon!  Sign me up for your first event.

This event was inspiring, fun packed and did not dissapoint by any means.  Had some interesting after hours out takes as well. :D

See you on the trail, Reveille.
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Boba Fett

Pictures as promised... Part One:

Boba Fett

Pictures... Part Two:

SavageShootr

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Great job out there.  O0
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Pappy

Hello Group; Great photos, looks like a fine range & good attendance. Congrats Chuck you will make a fine shoot boss. Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

NoFoMoHo

Man was it a blast catching up with all of the instructors this weekend.  We had fun!

I am glad that we had enough people to spare to be able to take care of all the shooters and help them learn to their fullest capacity! The students were great and brought their teachable attitudes! Hats off to you guys!

Congrats to Boba Fett and Cam! Way to work it!

After some hard working days I believe that we really put an interest in everyones hearts and minds to learn more and to continue their appleseed journey!

Hope to see you all again soon and continue to spread the word so we can get more shoots in Danville!

:~ NoFoMoHo  :~
~NotfromMontanaHannah~

-Breath in, breath out, relax-

M.E.

Great appleseed.  Weather was perfect and company of fellow appleseeders was even better.

Congrats to the new riflemen.  Cam and Matt honor to meet you both. 

Glad to have had the opportunity to put up a great group of instructors and one shooter at our home this weekend.  Hope to do it again very soon.  Here are some pictures from the weekend.   

The pictures are as follows:

One on One Dave and The Guy

The Prone line

Wurstmacher receiving his red hat from The Guy.

M.E.

What happens when a Riflemen scores a exact 210 and there is no body of water near by...

Danville Instructors in addition to the red hats.  Oddball, NFMH, Cookie, Reveille, M.E. 

Danville Red Hats, The Editor, Wurstmacher, The Guy & EEL

Team Wurstmacher 2.5 times more instructors in one family than were at the first shoot we attended a year ago!  O0

The Guy relaxing after 2 days of appleseeding.

Instructors having Fun with Reveille mimicking his usual pose

Pics modified to be a little smaller....still can't get this picture posting thing right!  sigh

Boba Fett

That group "Reveille" pose photo is priceless! ;D **)

Reveille

A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Boba Fett

Awww... Come on Rev. You know imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ;)

EEL

Another great shoot!  The Land of Suck gets a little less suckier every day.  This is thanks to all the fine Illinois shooters that came out with teachable attitudes, willing minds, and the persistence and perseverance to endure the heat, humidity, sun and being contorted into positions they never thought possible.   O0

It was great to see the all the youngsters sticking with it and giving it their all.  Their excitement was contagious.  Just goes to show you that there is hope.

Never give up.  Never say all is lost.  Never say it's too late.  Our posterity is counting on us!!!  When you see the sparkling light in their eyes as they proudly show off their target.........well, you know.

EEL

P.S.  My heart felt thanks to Team Wurstmacher for their hospitality, generosity, and friendship.  I am a richer man for knowing y'all.
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Nickle

Just saw the pics, I see The Guy has found the Nickle method of being an MI. Just need to get him a better chair, one with a side table and coffee cup holder. (Yes, my Appleseed chair has both.)

That's a sign of a good Instructor Crew, folks. Almost makes being an MI too easy.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

The Guy

But no one brought me ice cream..... ;D

Nickle

Quote from: The Guy on July 28, 2009, 10:15:58 AM
But no one brought me ice cream..... ;D

Ice cream? They should be bringing you more coffee.  O0
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Cookie

'Tis my turn now. I was so happy about this shoot. I was above and beyond what i had expected for this range. When i went to the mini AS nearly a year ago i would have never thought it possible. Thank you John!!!

Having such a multitude of instructors was perfect for the shooters, as we had many that required one on one attention. What a blessing!

Matt congrats on the orange hat! O0 I can't wait to see you at another shoot. Ottawa, this weekend. ;D Da can't wait till you're a shoot boss.

-ERS
There are people who try to be cool but it is those who lead the way that actually are. -Words of Ethan Stites

When you react to something in a negative manner, be it anger or fear. You just failed the Ego Ball & Dummy. -Spoken by Fred at the IL AIBC 7/24/2011

This planet is a test. If it wasn't then there would be intelligent humans. -Fred