News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Miamisburg, OH: July 18-19

Started by MeanStreaker, July 21, 2009, 11:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanStreaker

Quote from: LayloProSo, how was -your- weekend?

LLP, my weekend was absolutely fantastic!  O0  Sounds like yours was as well.  8)

We had another sold out event in Ohio.  Miamisburg is a smaller range, but it's producing great results for the Appleseed mission of Returning America to a Nation of Riflemen.  There were 20 dedicated shooters that showed up promptly Saturday morning raring to go.  Of our 20 attendees, 13 were women or Junior Shooters... and I believe all but two of them had little to no experience with firearms.  They sure can't say that anymore!

After the Pledge of Allegiance, we began with some introductions.  Instructors talked a little about what Appleseed means to them and where they call home.  Students mentioned their previous experience and what they were looking for.  I moved directly into the safety briefing and could tell right away --- This group was on the ball!  We safely transported our rifles to the firing line and got the day rolling.

Our morning introductions continued as everyone met Daniel Morgan and came to understand his important role in our War for Independence.  Humbled by the skills of his men, everyone took aim at that first Redcoat target.

We took our time learning the Building Blocks of Marksmanship with the help of One Inch Squares.  Anyone ever noticed how those squares seem more friendly the closer you get to lunch?   ;D  At 9:15 they just sit out there taunting you....  By noon, they start to show a little respect!  >:D 

The morning started out a little slower than usual as it was important to review some foundational lessons for our younger and more inexperienced shooters.  We worked the Six Steps on a couple squares and took a few extra minutes for every prep period. 

Here is where I want to bring up the fact that we were blessed with an incredible Instructor Corps.  We had a great student-instructor ratio and this really helped get everyone up to speed safely and effectively.

At lunch, everyone gathered at the rear of the range and got comfortable in the 70 degree temperatures (what is this.... October?) to hear brokensling describe the events of April 18, 1775 and what culminated on Lexington Green the following morning.  After a respectful pause for reflection, everyone moved back to the firing line with a little more determination in their eyes.  It was starting to become apparent that we're here for more than just a fun day in the sun. 

It was time to get to work.

Students learned the cross-legged, open legged, and kneeling positions with a lot of practice on side-to-side Redcoats.  Then, they got a chance to put into practice "Learn Today, Teach Tomorrow" by pairing up and coaching another shooter with Ball and Dummy on a Redcoat 250 yard Daniel Morgan target.

Around this time, the skies decided to open up and we had about a half hour downpour.  We finished a course of fire, safely cleared the line, covered our equipment, and headed for shelter so I could introduce our students to the men and women that fought for our Liberty in Concord, as well as our victorious route back to Boston.

The weather began cooperating right on schedule and we returned to the line to practice the Standing Offhand position before tacking up the only AQT we were to officially shoot that day. (A couple students stayed afterwards for voluntary AQTs).  All in all, it was a great day.  Even though we slowed things down a bit in the morning to emphasize some fundamentals, the students really improved and we were able to make up that time and finish about where I like to.  This is a testament to their teachable attitudes and persistence.

Saturday night was excellent and only added to the weekend.  Some of the Instructors, including Dinky Dao driving in from Columbus to hang out past her bedtime :) , and two students camped at the range.  Temperatures were absolutely perfect for enjoying friendly conversation around a campfire and crawling into a sleeping bag.  I encourage everyone to take advantage of this "after hours" time. 

Don't worry Dinky, you'll never have to see that snake on the side of the range for yourself.

Sunday morning came a little earlier than what it normally does on non-Appleseed weekends.  :D  brokensling demonstrated the importance of persistence - whether that be in striving for your Rifleman patch, or for waking up your Shoot Boss.  ;D

We had all students return on Sunday except for one, who had to nurse his wife with a recent broken foot.  After a review of the lessons learned the previous day, we started right in to the AQT grind.  This continued for the rest of the day, with breaks for HootersBilly to talk about Dangerous Old Men and the choices that Captain Parker and his men had to make on April 19, 1775, a couple NPOA drills, especially to help students shift those hips around their elbows  &)   :)  ,  me sharing what David Lamson was able to accomplish with his band of Dangerous Old Men right before the students formed into teams and had 60 seconds to fire as many well-aimed shots as possible into a star target.

Oh, and the Junior Shooters (and some of their parents) absolutely loved the Barney Qualification Test targets!   ;D 

We were thrilled to welcome and shake the hand of our newest Rifleman - Mike W (aka antiz).  Congratulations!

We ended the day gathering as Americans..... and friends.... to talk about the importance of maintaining our traditions of Marksmanship, and the Founding Principles so many have fought and died for.

I am honored to have been amongst such fine people this weekend.

Safe shoot.
Skilled shooters.

See you at the next one.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

antiz

This was my first Appleseed event. I first heard mention of the Appleseed Project on FrugalSquirrel's forum, and everyone that responded gave only glowing reviews.

I'll give a write up of my experience below, but I want to make one thing clear from the start: all of the instructors were INCREDIBLE!

MeanStreaker did a wonderful job, keeping things moving forward, but never compromising on safety. Every single instructor was absolutely on the ball, and constantly emphasizing safe practices throughout the event.

I showed up early on Saturday, before they'd fully setup. I got signed in, got my chamber flag, and started mingling. Pebbles did a great job getting everyone signed in, making sure the proper forms were filled out, and seeing that everyone got the information packets. After the Pledge of Allegiance, we went around the group and introduced ourselves. MeanSteaker took us through the safety briefing and told us what we'd be doing.

I'd ordered everything suggested equipment wise for the shoot, but the only thing that came in before I left to make the drive south was my order from Midway (came an hour before I left). My orders from Tech-sights, and from Fred's were nowhere to be seen. That meant I had two rifles (10/22's) -- neither with a sling attached, and neither with the open sights I'd hoped to start with. I brought both in case someone needed an extra rifle. I was feeling a bit down, as I was under equipped, but I decided to go just the same.  :-[

When I got up to the line, and pulled out my primary rifle (a 10/22 with quite a few upgrades), ArpJoe came up and asked if I had a sling. Hmm.. Well, I have a sling. Do you have a drill so I can hook it up? He didn't, but he went one further -- "Would you like to borrow my rifle?" Well, sure!

I was somewhat taken aback (you'd let me use your rifle for a day??), but took advantage of his offer just the same. I'm very glad I did!   :) I spent the first day learning the basics using ArpJoe's 10/22 w/Tech Sights installed. After a lot of practice, I'd convinced myself that I was capable of shooting using open sights, but that I certainly needed lots of practice. I didn't bother to count my first AQT, but it was certainly under a 100 (I think in the 60-90 range.)

I came prepared and willing to learn, although I kept making the same mistakes over and over. Dragging wood, improper feet placement, having troubles getting a consistent cheek weld with the stock. (Don't forget a consistent stock placement either!). Trigger jerking? MMhmm. Failing to keep my finger on the trigger after each shot? You bet. I probably made every mistake that can be made that first morning, but ArpJoe and the other instructors kept straightening me out. It probably took a dozen tries before I finally started getting the sling on properly.  :(

We broke for lunch after noon, and regrouped back at the shelter in order to hear some history. The presenters did a great job of bringing the stories to life. Something that really came home to me during the presentations was realizing that the battle lines would have been 50 yards or less, and I looked down range at our gear and realized that meant these men were standing face to face and trading shots. That takes a special kind of courage and bravery.

The afternoon downpour came during a Red Coat drill, and I finished shooting the standing string with water streaming off of my glasses and rifle. :~ We regrouped at the shelter to hear about about the Dangerous Old Men, before returning for the remainder of the drill and an AQT.

I was soaked through, and needed to get home to make arrangements for dinner, so I thanked ArpJoe, returned his rifle, and headed out. I've got some back problems, and I really felt all of the getting up & down that night. I started off the weekend feeling a bit run down, and those chickens came home to roost Saturday night. I found the time to pick up a drill and some bits on the way back, and went ahead and installed the studs and sling onto my rifle for Sunday.

After a late start on Sunday, I arrived at the range just after an AQT had started. ArpJoe was fetching some supplies from his car, and he gave me a safety briefing, made sure I remembered the rules, and walked me up to the firing line with my rifle.

I was making incredible process (the scope *really* helped), when my shots suddenly went wild halfway through an AQT. It took about 3 strings before an instructor noticed my scope had slipped off the front rails. (The scope was still firmly attached to the rifle, which is why I hadn't noticed.) ArpJoe, Paladin, and Billy (I think), jumped to my aid. We straightened out the scope, and tightened it down. During Stage 4 of the next AQT, ArpJoe grabbed some threadlocker and we "fixed" the problem. I finished off the stage, and took a look at the results -- right on!

Paladin got down beside me, and gave me some instruction on using the scope as well. I learned I'd been doing several things wrong, and his suggestions were very helpful.

The next AQT went really well, despite my running out of time before getting off the last shot on Stage 2 (Standing to Sitting). I wasn't sure that I had enough points, given that I missed a shot, but ArpJoe took the target to score while I shot the next AQT (the last of the day). I shot well on the last AQT, but my gun told me it needed cleaning by malfunctioning (4 stove pipes, two on the sitting stage alone.) The shots I managed to get off were solid, but my score was very low due to the malfunctions.

ArpJoe put me out of my misery as I walked back to reload for the final target of the day -- 217! I earned the patch!  ;D O0

Even before the last sets of AQTs, I'd decided to attend another Appleseed. The instruction is spot on, everyone is very friendly (instructors and participants alike!), and I made a lot of progress in a very short period of time. I'm going to track down the books that are recommended on here, to learn more about the events leading up to (and including) the Revolutionary War.

As I said at the beginning -- the instructors are incredible, and everyone seemed to be thrilled to be there. MeanStreaker did a great job as Shoot Boss, and kept everything moving and safe at the same time. I owe special thanks to ArpJoe, for really going above and beyond, and to Paladin for giving me some extra instruction specific to the scope. ArpJoe gave me some tips regarding the 10/22's magazines that was worth the price of the instruction alone. My mags drop free each and every time now!

I'm interested in and hoping to do more with the program in the future. Once I can reliably shoot the magic 210 or better with iron sights, I'll see if I can do any good instructing!

MeanStreaker

Hey antiz!  It was a pleasure meeting you this weekend.  I look forward to seeing you at a future Appleseed.  Always nice to have another Rifleman in the area. 

Hope to see you soon.

You've been added to our Ohio Listing of RiflemenO0

Welcome.  It's an honor to add your name.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

copperhead

Antiz, Congratulations on making Rifleman this weekend!! Wasn't it awesome?!! I and my girls loved being there!! Yes, we got there late on Sunday (thanks to the aches I had ALL OVER from Saturday from non-use of many muscles...lol!!), but I loved every minute of it! I learned a LOT!! I really enjoyed the history lessons as well, since I LOVE the Revolutionary War! (and even though it 'looked' like I was sleeping in the first one, I was just tired and resting my eyes after eating..lol!! I WAS awake and listening!! You'd have thunk I ate some turkey with how tired I was after that pizza!! rofl!!) My girls are asking when the next AS is and can't wait to attend. Even my hubby is wanting to attend now and is sorry he missed this past weekend (he had to work). We are making plans to possibly attend a shoot in August up in MI while we are up there visiting my hubby's family. But if we're not able to make that one, we hope to be able to attend the next one at Miamisburg! I am also working on getting my dad to an AS. He gave me 20 questions both days this past weekend, when I went to pick up my younger two daughters at my parents' house. I truly think he's interested, but being an NRA instructor I'm wondering if he'd be very 'teachable' when attending an AS. I think there'd be a lot for even him to learn while there. I've given him the info, answered his questions and planted the seeds...he'll have to decide from there if he wants to go. But I'm truly hoping he decides to give it a shot...he'd LOVE it! Maybe he'll bring mom along! That'd be terrific! Anyways...I had a fabulous time this past weekend at AS and want to thank ALL the instructors and also George T for the loaner guns for my girls and I! You guys are all great!   ;)

MeanStreaker

Hope Pebbles doesn't mind me stealing these off her Facebook page.  O0

A 4 MOA Group!!!  Someone is relaxed behind their rifle!

Welcome antiz!!!

--Thomas Paine

pebbles

Of course I don't mind!  ;)
I was just hoppin on here to post some, as hubby reminded me that I hadn't done it yet  :-[
Happy to have found that you had already posted some that I had on facebook. If you'd like me to post more of them; just lemme know.

MeanStreaker

--Thomas Paine

BobABQ

I love the idea of BQTs for the kids!

Heck, I like to shoot Barney Qualification Test (BQT) targets!