News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

OTTAWA ILLINOIS INDEPENDANCE DAY APPLESEED

Started by Pappy, July 06, 2009, 08:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pappy

Hello GROUP; This past weekend, Independance day, The 4th of July,. We had 11 shooters on the line. Many were returning Appleseeders, all cooks but three who were working on that seventh step!!. Thanks to Tooth Doc Tim & Caleb for your many returns WE will always have a place for you. Ottawa is like the four season Appleseed range. If you can make your Riflemans score here your can do it any where!!! O0 O0 O0 Its True! Saturday we had DRIZZZELL!! all day and then some one said wind and sure enough we had that to Dropping Temps sent folks scrambleing to find anything to put on that would be warm and DRY. Saturday one Rifleman saw the light and shot a 214 before noon on Saturday, Jake Hess, a 13 year old, Jake was using a Ruger 10-22 with Williams peeps and a Lyman Globe front. He has been known to make some long shots with his air gun on gophers along our shared 1/2 mile driveway prior to attending this his first Appleseed , A Real Country Boy, Well done Jake!!! O0 O0 O0 O0. Then on Sunday we started out clear and cool in the AM We had nine folks who returned to the Ottawa line, as temps were on the rise so were scores. By mid morning we had another Rifleman, Jack. His groups were like clovers on the targets if my memory is correct he shot a 236. Jack was using a Ruger 10-22 with a scope, and a 1917 type leather sling. Jack is a member of the Illinois State Rifle Assn. and is Ottawa`s newest Rifleman!!! O0 O0  Well done!! Jack. The persistance of the group during the WEATHER was truly outstanding from Rain to Cold to Wind then Sun and Heat all in one weekend. I am sure that with a little more effort and some honest dry fire practice each and every one of you will become a Rifleman or Woman. :) O0.... Keep them in the Black!!!  Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Sheepdog

nice report there pappy. sorry to have missed this one. packing and  moving are my life. in one word, chaos.
RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT

Garand69

It was indeed an excellent weekend on the Illinois Appleseed Trail. I'm not sure what Pappy is talling about on Saturday, I thought it was a nice refreshing rain.........(thanks for the loan of the jacket  **)  )

Yep the cool temps along with the rain caught almost everyone off gaurd, If I am instructing in Texas I will be bringing a spare sweat shirt just in case!

I dragged out the Mean Ole' Wife thist weekend, not quite a Rifleman yet but she shot a 177 on the AQT and on the last Redcoat of Sunday she cloverleafed 3 on the 200yd and nearly cloverleafed three on the 100yd. I guess I need to start behaving!

We had an Excellent Instructor Pool to work with. Long Rifle (from Colorado) just happened to be fairly close, so he decided to help out. Thanks for the effort LongRifle O0

And this other feller, I think I have seen him before but I couldn't quite place it ;D......The Guy, was our Shoot Boss. Great to work with you again Guy, don't be a stranger!

Then as regular IIT's Revellie and of course Pappy and I.

We had a ton of improvement across the line and I'm sure several of these folks will return to earn their Rifleman Status. Nice to meet all of you shooters, can't wait to see you again.

pics to follow
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Reveille

Thanks to all the shooters for coming out and ignoring the elements and getting down and dirty on this fine Independence day weekend.  With the resolve that you all displayed, I am honored to have spent this Holiday with Great Americans. Apathy masked by complacency was left to the slackers that did not attend.  I hope to see you all again soon on the Trail.  Congratulations to those who made Rifleman and to those that did not, keep working and you will soon put it all together. O0  Reveille.
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Lonely Raven

What a great Weekend! I actually enjoyed shooting in the rain and cold...I figure if I can shoot well then, I can shoot well anytime! I didn't care much for the heat on Sunday....

It was great meeting you all! You all are so passionate about the project, and very, very helpful. Though I didn't manage to get myself up to Rifleman level shooting (scored 191), I really feel like I learned a lot! Special thanks to Long Rifle for the loaner of the 10/22 for the weekend. Shooting my new AR would have been a bit more frustrating and a LOT more expensive! And it figures...my .22LR conversion kit for the AR showed up on MONDAY! (And it ROCKS!!!!!!!!  :D)

Side note, I lost a flashlight, a little Fenix P3D which is my EDC light. It was on my fold up chair that someone accidentally (almost) walked off with thinking it was theres....I got the chair back, but didn't realize till I got home and unpacked that my flashlight that was in the drink holder was missing. Anyone pick it up or see it? I'm gonna cry if I lost my favorite (and a little expensive) flashlight!

I'll be seeing you all at a future Appleseed, and you can count on me if/when a Rifleman is ever needed. I don't know if I'll come in August (I realized how hot it's probably going to be!), but when I do come again, I'll be practicing step 7 and bringing along a friend or two!

~Eric~
AKA
The Lonely Raven

charlie06

hello all, well my mean ole' husband has been telling me I should sign up here hear forever now. But, I was like ya ya, ya! Well after attending my very 1st Appleseed this weekend  . I  now have a understanding of his enthusiasm. Even though I felt like a drown rat on Saturday, lol! Sunday was such a better day even though I did not make rifleman, I hope to be at the next event that is if I can talk Nana into doing some more babysitting. I wanted to thank pappy and his wife for having a beautiful dry place to sleep! You guys are great. Unfortunately I do not remember everyone's names but everyone did a great job all weekend. There were a few times I was ready to say I was done. But you guys kept me going.

Garand69

Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Pappy

Hey Grand those are  some great pictures!!! Where else can you go from cold and WET to hot and dry in 24 hrs welcome to Illinois, if ya don`t like the weather just wait a day it will change. Marshal you missed a chance to get your toof tew :D ;D ;)  See ya soon, Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

LayloPro

just wait a day it will change.
A whole day!!??!! I thought it was every 15 minutes......

Or maybe that was Indiana..... **) **) **) :~

Good job on getting those Riflemen going out there.....you guys got it going on, no matter what the weather's like! :))
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Ewald

Good times. I would have posted sooner, but it took a few days to activate my forums registration. My first Appleseed. I very much enjoyed the weekend and the great instruction. I readily admit that by mid-day Sunday I was getting tired, frustrated, and made stupid mistakes. However part of my goal for the weekend was to spend some time with my AR. THANK YOU for the opportunity.

By Monday morning I found myself planning my next Appleseed adventure. Now at week's end there is a scaled down AQT on the closet door at the end of the hall. I have had an old 10/22 sitting around slated for a project rifle, and tech-sights were ordered this weekend. The fluff and buff has begun. I guess I caught the bug.

Lonely Raven

Yeah, I need a BB gun so I can practice on the scaled down AQT indoors!  :))

Garand69

Thanks for jumping in Ewald and LR!

Look forward to working with you all again! O0

Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz