News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Augusta July 11-12

Started by sanderman79, July 13, 2009, 11:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanderman79

What a great weekend in Augusta we had.  This was the first new location in GA for the past 2 years.  We had a good turnout on Saturday with a count of 18(I think).  Lots of families with kids and 2 ladies.  Everyone that I talked to had a great time even with the heat.  The range was awesome, it was so nice to be in the shade and have the cool breeze from the fans overhead.  I think that we were able to shoot 10 AQT's over the weekend.  So the shooters stuck with us.  We had 2 Riflemen on Saturday and another on Sunday.  One father and son pair of riflemen was a new sight for me.  We lost a few on Sunday, but still had a turnout of about 10.  All in all a great weekend.  Also hopefully we are gonna be able to have an AS every other month to boost the amount of shoots in GA.  Taz did a great job as a Shoot Boss and thanks to Eric and Rick for coming up from FL.  Nice to meet our brothers to the South.

Raymon

ItsanSKS

Not to contradict Raymon, but notes from my clipboard indicate that we had 21 shooters on the line Saturday, and 16 patriots returned for another shot at that coveted Rifleman's Patch on Sunday. 
I guess we'll have to wait for the 'official' count from the shoot boss.

The Pinetucky Gun Club is an excellent venue for Appleseed, and many thanks go out to their manager, Steve.  Without you, this event would never have happened.  I think I speak for all involved when I say that we look forward to a long and productive relationship!

The weather was a balmy 90 degrees throughout the weekend, but a nice breeze kept everyone cool.  Instruction was top notch, as evidenced by the numbers:

First Redcoat on Saturday:  only 1 shooter 'qualified', by shooting 3 rounds into the 100 yard target.
Last Redcoat on Sunday: 100yds:1 200yds:1, 300yds:2,  400yds:0, HS: 2
If memory serves, we had 7 shooters qualify at 100 yards at the end of Saturday! 
A marked improvement, indeed!

A big congratulations goes out to Mark and Shawn, our Father/Son Rifleman duo!  These two were very persistent, and soaked up our instruction like sponges.  It was a pleasure to work with you both!

The "Three Strikes" were presented by (in order of appearance) Sanderman79, Friedenmeister and RickB.  All three of you did an excellent job of bringing the story to life, which is the most important aspect of the Appleseed Mission.  I have little doubt that those in attendance were moved by the stories, and I am certain that many will delve deeper into the history and heritage of the founding generation.  Job well done, gentlemen!

After working closely with the students all day Saturday, ensuring that they understood the fundamentals, we introduced them to the AQT - Ultimate Revealer of Riflemen! :~
Only one Rifleman to be discovered on Saturday, while many were knocking on the door with scores ranging from 170-203. 

After a brief recap of everything the students had learned on Saturday, we quickly began to hammer them with AQT after AQT.  8 in all on Sunday, which is a personal record.  Never a complaint was heard, and all persevered through the escalating temperatures.  Many folks were showing signs of buckling under the unrelenting pressure of the AQT, so we decided to break it up a little bit with the star target.  I can think of no better way to illustrate the importance of verifying your NPOA.  This target revealed only one shooter who was *actually* finding his NPOA, shooting a solid 8 MOA group WITH HIS EYES CLOSED! 

During the shoot on Saturday, a photographer from the local paper "The Augusta Chronicle" showed up, and after speaking with Taz and the shooters, proceeded to snap a few pics..  We were featured on the front page of the Metro section Sunday Morning!  Now THATS promo!

A special thank you goes out to all attendees; without you, this program, this country, would be lost.  The willingness to set aside a weekend to learn about the heritage of this country sets you aside from 99% of folks in this country today, and it was a pleasure, no, an HONOR, to work with you all. 

There is much, much more, but I'll leave some for the shoot boss..

If you took pictures this weekend, please post 'em up!
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

RickB

We had a great group of shooters for this Appleseed--I swear the participants get better and better every time!  Each and every one of them listened and worked uncomplainingly to do their very best.  I know from experience how difficult it is to remember everything that is taught during a jam-packed Appleseed weekend; the solution to that problem is to dry fire consistently at home until the next AS.

From time to time it felt a little like a medical convention with a doctor and an EMT among the instructors and a shooter who is a retired doctor.  They even told us the names of the bones that were resting against one another in the sitting position.  It went right over my head--I just look at the pictures.

It'sAnSKS forgot to mention that he had the shooters fire the star target twice with their eyes closed from "Fire" to "Cease Fire."  After the first attempt one shooter, Dan, brought me his target and asked what he was doing wrong.  His "group" was single hole near the star with two more progressively lower--then off the paper (a lot of targets looked like his).  I told him he needed to relax all his muscles when acquiring his NPOA.  He then proceeded to shoot a centered 8 MOA group.  That's one 15 year old who knows how to listen! He was there with his dad and his younger brother.

Besides running a great shoot, TazDevil and his lovely wife Terri took really good care of the instructors all weekend.  The instructor dinner was at their home and most of us slept there as well.  They are wonderful hosts.
Sanderman79 and FriedenMeister were a pleasure to work with.  It'sAnSKS and I felt the drive from Florida was well worth it.

On Sunday evening many of the shooters pitched in to help clean up and tear down the line--it went really fast.
Did I mention what great folks they are?

RickB

TAZDevil

Three local shooters made rifleman this weekend.  two were highpower competitors and one is in the army.  all good friends.  one was recruited into the IIT pool.  they should help get the word out for future ASs in Augusta.
The Pinetucky range will be a good site for the cause.
"An Englishman's home is his castle" Jason Russell

"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it."  John Adams