News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

July 4-5 2009 Independence Day Shoot Castle Rock WA

Started by Wheeler44, July 05, 2009, 11:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheeler44

Wow..... What a great weekend....We filled the line again on Saturday and had our biggest Sunday Yet.....

We had a new IIT work his first shoot and had a couple of new riflemen join the instructor corps.

Earl did his usual fine job of callin the line  and keeping things moving...

Wade and Earl gave great history.....A shoot bosses dream.......

More to follow..

Wheeler44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Kratos

This was my first Appleseed as IIT, and I learned a lot about how to be an LSO.  I was pretty excited to share my knowledge and experiences with shooters in their pursuit of Rifleman status, because I know what it feels like to be bombarded with data and try to absorb, adjust, shoot, analyze, then repeat.  I have some things to work on, and know that I will do better in Castle Rock in September.

Hot and clear Saturday - that sun sure sucks the life out of you.  I drank almost 2 gallons of water and sweat it out, never once having to use the bathroom!  Sunday was cooler, so I think we all kept out focus better.

It was an honor to see 4 people earn their Rifleman patch, and I got to score one of them.

By the end of Sunday there were 4-6 people who improved from Saturday morning and were knocking VERY loudly on Rifleman's door!  I scored a few 200-209, and one was in the 180s but his technique was excellent in standing and seated, but needs some prone work and he will easily hit 220+.

Couldn't ask for a better line.  Almost 40 people Saturday, and over 20 Sunday.  What a weekend!

calinb

> Wade and Earl gave great history...

Sorry I missed it but I've volunteered for babysitting duty until my wife, Julie, gets her patch.  Then I can go for mine. 

Julie improved significantly at Castle Rock, even though my OA .22LR upper started misfiring right before her AQT because of  a bad firing pin.  Thank you Rich and Lee for providing loaner rifles to her, which enabled her to finish the weekend, and thank you Wade and Bill for helping me with the debug of the misfire problem at the end of the day.

And speaking of her finish, we found the missing shot in her last Redcoat target.  If you turn the target over and look at the edge of the holes from the back side, it's very obvious that the missing 300 yard shot went nearly through the center of a previous hole.  Along with the headshot, every one of her shots counted against the Redcoats!

We got back home last night and I read this:

http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2009/07/04/independence-1776-independence-201x/

Check it out.

-Cal

Kratos

She put those holes in every Redcoat target.  Now THAT is impressive.

Earl

The opening introduction, four rules of safety, why we gather at Wade's DAR.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Earl

Good stuff happens to good people and merit noted finally.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Earl

The 4th of July in its finest form, hot, clear and great day for shooting, thanks for bringing your shade, good attitude and great efforts.

Earl

New Riflemen honored, come on back and help the next generation.

Earl

If you want to go get soaked, shoot only 210 points, it qualifies you as a Rifleman and bathed in the nearest water, which on this hot thirsty 4th of July.

Earl

Sometimes one earns a nickname like 'Almost' and then some time one breaks through and will have to be called "Rifleman".  Way to go Greg!

Earl

Well, it was the best way to celebrate the 4th of July, an hour and a half drive down to Castle Rock and Wade's DAR. Hook up with Wheeler44 and help set up, sign up and rev up. Wheeler does get volunteer participation so well, Ben built packets for the other participants. Hot day, but everyone did well and soaked up that fire hose full of information that Appleseed presents.

I, as always, get my reward from seeing the shooters tighten their groups, worry about missing two shots because of time.  If one gave up four shots for time on phase two and three, one could still score fifty points on phase one, and a hundred points on phase four, and eighty points on the transition phases -- really, don't fuss the shot, just make everyone count. The only one you can do anything about is the one you are taking right now - not the last one fired, not the one that will be loaded next -- only the one you are taking now will you be able to affect.

It is good to be part of Appleseed, it is great to know I won't be the last shooter on Earth and when I am gone no one will remember me and what I did to help them shoot. I still remember my Junior High Rifle Club coach, and his lessons and being out shot by a couple of the girls, sigh. That was hard at that age, but it won't bother me now, Ladies, get up there on that next Appleseed.

oud272

It was certainly a great day for the ladies. It was only my wife's (Her Highness as Rich nick named her) second time shooting and she only went out the week before and shot 50 rounds through the brand new Bi-Mart Ruger 10/22 I bought her to become familiar it. She shot a 209 on the last target Sunday...so close, and a perfect Red Coat. Boy I'm proud of her, and by the way she out shot me, I only got a 203 on Sunday.

We also had a great chance to blow off some well needed steam on Sunday by forming teams of 5 and shooting out the Star. The winning team was: My wife, Julie (another great shot, who I think also got a perfect Red Coat on Sunday), myself, "Uncle Elmer" (sorry didn't catch his real name) and his friend.

My wife went from literally hating guns, to become an enthusiastic shooter...Thanks Appleseed.

She is already talking about attending the next one. Now when I buy ammo I'll need to buy twice as much, you've got to love it when a plan comes together.

Dave (the Brit)

Wheeler44

Glad to hear it Dave.....Can't wait to see you at another Appleseed...

Wheeler44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

geebee

This was an eye opening experiance.I really thought I could shoot, boy did I have my self fooled! This was both my son Justin and my first appleseed and we both loved it. I look forward taking Justin to the next Castle Rock shoot.

Thanks again, Grant