News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ottawa, IL 20-21

Started by colycat, June 19, 2009, 08:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colycat

Ok, so I did it.  Started the AAR before We got there.  But this is going to be a great seed.  I cant wait to see some of my friends from "the land down under".  Plus there is going to be a special prestention for OG. **)

Coly
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

bobapunk

Have fun
Stay dry
Don't overheat!

EEL

Ottawa June 20-21  Well, Ottawa and rain go hand in hand.  Always have, probably always will.!!   >:(  Buffalo Rock Shooting Range (BRSR) had the line ready for us when Pappy and myself got there Friday night to do some pre-shoot work.  The folks at B.R.S.R at terriffic hosts and always have a neat, clean line ready for us.  Nice framework, new cardboard, and well maintained firing line.

Our friend Dana showed up to put up a canopy, as he always does.  This shoot, like ALL the others, it was a lifesaver.  First by giving us some shade on Saturday and then it gave us shelter from the rain on Sunday.  Did I mention Ottawa and rain are like hand in glove???? 

Saturday the sun was blistering and the shade was welcome.  Hydration was the word of the day.  Kinda like voting in Chicago.  Drink early, drink often.  Our shooters were attentive and eager to learn.  By mid-day the shooters were in sensory overload.  4 rules of safety, 6 steps for a safe rifle, 6 steps for firing a shot, NPOA, prone, Hasty, Loop......AArrggggg!!!  Yes! like trying to sip water from a fire hose!!  Put they persisted and preservered.  Sadly, the heat had sapped most of their energy by days end, but all were game for an AQT.  No "quit" in this group   O0 

Sunday found our numbers somewhat smaller and there was a threat of rain.  We ARE in Ottawa, right??  Our shooters picked up where they left off Saturday and worked towards lunch.  Then, the rain started!  That didn't deter this group of dedicated Americans, so we shot AQTs in the rain.  Made 2 new Riflemen during the steady, light rain.  Congratulations to Jason and his brother Matt.  They both reached deep down and found the determination shown by our Forefathers and persisted despite the elements.  We had some others closing in on that magical number, but time and the weather were not on our side.  I'm beginning to think Ottawa is hexed.   :o 

All kidding aside, it was a fantastic weekend, surrounded by dedicated folks, meeting new friends, and catching up with old ones.  Know what....Ottawa and it's weather can do as it wants.....I'll go back there any day and spend it with the caliber of Americans present this weekend!

On behalf of your entire Instructor corps, it was an honor and privelidge to spend this time with all of you.

Respectfully,

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

ahhshoot

Heck of a shoot. Met some new folks. Had a lot of fun. You shooters made gaggles of improvement over the course of the weekend. Lets give it up for the IL instructor core! O0 Very well run shoot. Got all the instruction in on Sat and time for an AQT. Other than the weather hiccup on sunday we got plenty done. Great range, great Americans, I'd love to come back maybe couple two tree times. 

The past is only the future with the lights on.

Old Glory!

Congratulations Riflemen Matt and Jason, and to everyone who bore the heat, the rain, and the firehose of instruction.  Gotta love that pea gravel in the rain!  After the shoot you find that pea gravel in the strangest places, right EEL? ;D

Shooters, you practiced the safety rules well!  And listened well to all the instruction.  Your positions looked VERY good!  Those who came to the line never having held a rifle before, by Sat afternoon you looked like you had been shooting from prone all your life.   Practice those 6 steps and dry-fire.  Remember, safe your rifle and NO BULLETS at home.   By your next Appleseed you will see improvement down range.  O0 ;D     

Great group of Americans this weekend, both young and old, men and women.  I love that about Appleseed! 

Hope you will all make it to another Appleseed and bring a friend.  Now chime in here, don't be shy, and let us know what it was like from the shooters perspective.     

Dana, thanks for the shade, LIFESAVER!

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Buehns

Well guys this is newbie Larry here with my impressions of my first Appleseed shoot. In retrospect the components of the weekend are a series of stand alone rifleman clinics ( the nuts and bolts) and then there is a feeling of inclusion, of coming home, of finally getting the confirmation that yes there are other Americans out there who think and feel as you do. Having this confirmed for me, while having spent these last few years thinking I was alone in the wilderness, was an almost physical relief. I cannot say enough as to the respect I have for the whole instructor core. What a group of Americans, or better yet, what a group of ordinary citizens, just like the rest of us, who have made a decision to act. I truly salute you and aspire to in some way repay your efforts.
I think the key in any endevor that effects a real change in this world is someone, somewhere, taking that first step. I had the honor of being shoulder to shoulder with men and women who have taken this step to save our country. If Fred's object was to get an old man like me engaged he succeeded.
Thank you EEL, Sheepdog, Pappy, Colycat, Ahshoot, and all the others. A wise man once told me that the measure of a person was how he positively impacted or motivated those whom he came in contact with. After this weekend you have one motivated person here.
I cannot wait to get to my next Appleseed, I hope sometime in Sept. or Oct., and continue my education and training.

Well I'm out for now but looking forward to the pictures.
The Journey begins with the First Step
"On my arrival in the United States I was struck by the degree of ability among the governed and the lack of it among the governing"
Alex de Tocqueville

M.E.

Sounds like you all had a great shoot in Ottawa!  I really wanted to come to see all my cheesehead friends but the World shooting and Recreation Complex in Sparta and my Shotgun were calling my name and this was a once a year opportunity!!  Sounds like I missed another good one!  Wurstmacher has been after me to upload these pics but I have been recooperating from the 98 degree weather we had down South this weekend!  ;)  Sorry I missed everyone hope the cookies helped make you feel like I was there in spirit anyway.  Here are some pictures but someone needs to help fill in the names. 

M.E.
I did have to include the one which looked like EEL was giving a little history because it think I see at least 3 people eating some delicious snack sticks that Wurstmacher made!  ;D

Old Glory!

Buehns, welcome aboard!   IL team will be glad to have your help.   Send a message to  EEL, Sheepdog, Pappy or Wurstmacher. 

ME,
Sorry to have missed you, 98  :o.  It was fun to have Abigail shooting and keeping us all in line.  Great cookies, great snack sticks/with cheese!  Both award-winning! 

Thanks for the pictures.   1st Rifleman is Matt; second his brother Jason.  EEl and Ahhshoot demo seated.  The great cheek weld would be the new Rifleman, Matt.

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

M.E.

Thank you for the additional info OG  I'm sure the new riflemen will appreciate it!  Again sounds like the rain made it a normal ottawa shoot....I think the only time it hasn't rained is last years July 4th shoot!  We got lucky huh?  Maybe there will be a couple two tree more in the future without rain!

M.E.

Old Glory!

Kinda fuzzy :D

colycat

Well, OG finally posted her pic of her new rifle.  Imagine, one year ago, a housewife(self described) attends an AS.  She really doesn't like guns.  One year later, she is presented with the dreaded black rifle.  And loves it!!!!  This present was a collaborative  effort of all the Ill crew. I had the receiver and all the crew in Ill scoured the gun shows for parts.  Pappy did the assembly and it all worked out great.  How I love the AS program, as you all know, the best people are in it.  Come join us as an instructor or admin person.

Coycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Fred

Not only that, Tony, but she looks good behind it!

Now we need to get some rockers added to that big RWVA shoulder patch.

Can I suggest the first be a "RIFLEMAN" rocker?

And the second should be the highest classification rocker we have, "INSTRUCTOR".

Then, if she wants, she can add "BOOT CAMP"...

O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

MeanStreaker

Quote from: colycat on June 26, 2009, 10:58:46 PM
One year later, she is presented with the dreaded black rifle.  And loves it!!!!  This present was a collaborative  effort of all the Ill crew. I had the receiver and all the crew in Ill scoured the gun shows for parts. 

Details, man!  Details! 

Alright, SOMSOM.  (I'll expect something in my PM inbox.) :)
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Garand69

Thanks for a great Shoot Instructor Team, Wish I could have been there!

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Johnnyappleseed

Looks like another great AS weekend in Illinois!
Changing the direction of America 1 AS at time .
Congratulations to the Illinois-Wisconsin instuctor corp O0 Looks like the weather is always a challenge
OG ^5 on the new rifle  ;)+ you do look great behind it . :~
Welcome aboard Larry + I will see you on the AS trail
Semper Fidelis
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge