News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bonfield, IL ISRA Range June 6-7

Started by M.E., June 08, 2009, 01:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.E.

M.E. Checking in after another weekend on the appleseed trail which led to Bonfield, IL.  I have pictures to post in the next couple of days so check back if you are looking for them. 

The range was VERY nice and team Illinois will be heading back again this fall so be watching the schedule.  I hope to see more shoots at this facility in 2010!

Team Wurstmacher made it home tired but happy.  The whole family was there in some capacity.  Cookie and NoFoMoHo came on Saturday as shooters since they could not be there on Sunday and A.R. (Abby's new "name") came for the whole weekend and even shot all positions for the first time and did well! 

We had three Men/Women among men this weekend with Carol, Jacob and Slacker receiving their rifleman patch.  Congratulations to each of you!!!

Great to see some friends and meet some new ones.

Going to rest awhile but I will be posting more as I digest....

Until then,

M.E.

Garand69

I hope you don't mind Castle Mountain, I pasted your reply onto M.E.'s thread

G69
Castle Mountain said;

Wonderful weekend with great teaching. The instructors were all  simply fabulous. Thank you one and all:

Pappy, The Wurstmachers, Reverie, you all not only brought Carol and I too a new level but Carol
earned her Rifleman's badge. Moreover, I know I am very close. I got as far as that Savage bolt gun could get me
and was great training to prep me for my AR.  I plum ran out of ammo, darn it. Next time with perfect practice
as a prelude to the next shoot I will gitter done! Thank you Cookie for the loan of your jacket and thanks Oddball for the use of your own. My shoulder could not have taken the repetitive push of the .338. Hopefully our own jackets will arrive in about 6 to 10 days for sure this time. Thanks again for the loan of the rifle slings. Carol will wear her badge with pride. I think she has shamed (Challenged) her brother to come out the the next shoot. He may be a great pistol instructor for the police but his sister is a genuine riflemen. We really want him to come out and participate.

Pappy and Wurstmacher thanks for the coaching on the AR-10.  Although I didn't get the badge, I got the tank. You have helped my confidence with the AR tremendously.  Yeah  Tank buster team!!!

I was really happy for all those that won their riflemen's badge. Great job to see fathers and sons and daughters. Reverie we hope to see you and your wife again at the next shoot. Mrs. Wurstmacher, thanks again for your comments and oatmeal cookies.

What a fun, fun day. Carol is just beaming.

The instruction was as didactic as it can get. Great job every one of you. Thank you Mr. EEL.  Pappy, Wurstmachers and Reverie.
You guys rock!  I learned so much these past two shoots and the light bulbs were really flashing in my head this weekend. It's
coming together just fine.

To everyone that came out this weekend. ... What a great bunch of folks you are.  It was a pleasure to have met you all.

Best regards,

Castle Mountain

P/S the name Castle Mountain is a reference (an associate name) to the most magnificent mountain in the Canadian Rockies of Alberta.

It was given the name of Mount Eisenhower as tribute to that great commander of the theater of allied forces during WW II in Europe: General Dwight Eisenhower. I claim the mountain name because he was a man that I greatly admired and because I climbed that near 14,000 foot mountain's peak and claimed it's pinnacle with my name buried in a carrion on top of it. The climb is a reminder of the effort others have made before and after me. The mountain was one of my life's greatest challenges and is for every climber with it's reward waiting on top.  So apropos of a reminder of the greatness of that challenge that faced that  general who helped win the day against fascism. No less a feat than that challenge our founding fathers endured of 1775.
When you stand at the foot of Mt. Eisenhower, you cannot but help feel reminded of the greatness of such a castle of a man.
It was and is truly humbling to stand before it and on top of it. The view is simply incredible. Persistence has it's rewards.
Such is the meaning to me. Hence Castle Mountain.

<< Last Edit: Today at 12:27:01 AM by Castle Mountain >>   

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

EEL

Wow!!   :~   :~

Pappy and I arrived in Bonfield at the Illinois State Rifle Assn. Range around 3pm Friday to begin set up.  First we put up direction signs in case anyone could use a little assitance finding their way.  Sheepdog was close on our heels towing "Casa del Sheepdog".  We were met by the range boss, Jack, and directed to the wider of the 100 yard ranges.   :)  ISRA offered up anything they could to help with the target line.  As Pappy is a veteran at this, he came well prepared.  In the back of my truck we had posts, wire, re-bar, plastic backers (campaign signs), cable ties, and the "family heirloom" (post pounder).  We thanked Jack for his offers but told him we had everything well in hand.  Jack turned us loose and we were off and running.

The line was up in no time flat.  Then came the banners, flagpole, and strung the April 19th series of flags.  We then set up a bulletin board with fliers listing upcomming Appleseed events, maps showing the march from Boston, the return trip and the time line of activities of April 19, 1775.  ISRA asked if they could leave some brochures also.  Noooo problem  O0    If you don't belong to ISRA, please consider it.  They are our local voice in the political arena.  Now it was time to set up camp as darkness was fast approaching.  Team Wurstmacher and Reveille rolled in, a quick bite to eat and then an Instructor's meeting.  With all the loose ends tied up, we hit the hay.

Saturday we were met with 22 eager pre-regs and 4 walk ons.  Our shooters, some veteran 'seeders, were ready to get after it.  Our instructors introduced themselves, both real names and, for ease of memory, their screen names.  Our shooters responed well to the safety brief and we were ready to shoot.  On a side note, please pre-register for events so we can assure ample staffing, supplies, and space on the line.  It REALLY helps!

When instruction was being given, you could hear a pin drop.  All the shooters were attentive and asked pertinent questions.  These folks came to learn!!  We worked our way through squares and all positions.  Equipment shortcommings were dealt with expediciously.  Great to have a "Pappy" on site!!!  Frequent breaks and hydration was key on Saturday.  "Prep your mags and hydrate!!"

Sunday all that said they would return, did.  Before we began, we took a moment to remember those that gave all on June 6, 1944.  Rain??  We needn't worry.  The ISRA facility is 1st rate.  A covered firing line, concrete pad, restrooms (with running water!), and showers!  Our shooters persisted and persevered throughout the day.  Advil rocks!!!   As stated, 2 new Riflemen and 1 Riflewoman came to the surface.  I say that because the Rifleman, or woman, is inside.  We just help it find it's way out.

In addition, 2 new Orange hats.  Welcome aboard "Prattski" and his daughter.  They decided to pick up a bucket and do what they can to help save our country.  Thanks for stepping up!!  A couple other possibles.  After they get 1 more shoot under their belt, they should be ready.

ISRA was very impressed not only with the instruction, but also by the level of attention, commitment to safety, and dedication of the shooters.  So much so, that Rich Pearson, President of ISRA, personally invited us back for a shoot on Oct 3-4!!!  Thanks shooters for making US proud.  O0   Mark your calendars for October.

As Shoot Boss, my job was made much easier by all the able and well qualified instructors.  Sheepdog, Pappy, Wurtmacher, M.E., Oddball, Reveille, and Garand69.

On behalf of all the instructors at the ISRA shoot, it was a pleasure and an honor to spend the weekend in the presence of a fine group of Americans, hopefully, making our forefathers proud as they look down from the Heavens.

Respectfully,

EEL

P.S. Sadly, there was 1 casualty   :'(  Even the trauma bag couldn't help this one.  While hard cases are crush resistant, they cannot withstand the front wheel of an F250!!  Fred??? I need a raise!  Gotta get a new case   **)
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Garand69

HUZZAH! HUZZAH!! HUZZAH!!!

Great job Team Illinois, and of course congrats go out to our Three New Rifleman and our Two New IIT's

Thanks ISRA for the excellent facilities  O0

The following are pics stolen, er I mean liberated from M.E., so I can't take any credit, just thought I would beat her to it  ;)

GET THOSE ELBOWS DOWN!!  &)

Wurstmacher ready to crank out Rifleman

M.E. Teaching EEL the Standing Position

Team Wurstmacher!!!

Where did I park Casa del Sheepdog?

A Rifle[wo]man is Forged!

A Rifleman Perseveres!

Sunday's Shooters

Sunday's Sea of Orange Hats

Yep, That's another Proud Rifleman!

Oddball presenting some shiney new Orange Hats!

This could be Trouble

I knew it! Nothin' but Trouble!!
Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

RacerDave6

Another great weekend we had at an Illinois Appleseed.

This was the 2nd for me and Linda, our first shoot taking place at Sheepdogs DAR in April.
I also got one of my friends, Ken, to come along to the ISRA range in Bonfield.
Thanks to the ISRA for providing a wonderful, shaded, dry place to shoot and learn some history.

EEL was the shoot boss for this weekend, and I was looking forward to his delivery of the program. He began the day with introductions of the instructors, which were plentiful for this inaugural shoot. Sheepdog, Pappy, Reveille, Wurstmacher, M.E., and Oddball were all there to guide us through the first day.

25 Appleseeders attentively listened as EEL led us through the 4 safety rules, then demo'd prone. Damn, I can't get that song out of my head. Then we posted our 1st redcoat for the weekend and brought the rifles to the line.

Of course, then the fun begins, relearning proper positioning, trying to move body parts in directions they weren't intended to move, and trying to remember which direction to turn the sights.

After shooting some squares came the dreaded IMC. It made my head spin, but not near as much as the first time. I'm sure there will be a day when the light bulb comes on and IMC will become 2nd nature. This will probably occur at my 758th Appleseed.

After plenty of prone work came the standing and sitting position demos and practice. I'm still working on finding a comfortable/stable sitting/kneeling position, and tried out many different variations during the weekend. Still haven't settled on which one I'm going to use. I see lots of dry fire practice in my future.

Of course there was the history lessons interspersed throughout the day. Listening to the lessons for the 2nd time, hearing the names again, I'm remembering bits and pieces as the words come from Sheepdog. Maybe some of this stuff is sticking to my peanut sized brain...lol

The next morning saw us wake up to aches and pains we hadn't felt before. Coffee and ibuprofen, what a way to start the morning. Elbows, shoulders, left side ribcages. We didn't remember some of these pains from the first shoot. No matter how hard you might think dirt is to lie on, concrete is a bazillion times harder, and our thin indoor/outdoor carpet mats and elbow pads were no match for the concrete shooting line. Note to self, get some good padding to lie on.

Cloudy and the threat of rain were no problem, as the covered firing line once again protected us. Drips, drizzle, and a couple pretty good downpours in the morning, yet here we were high and dry. Didn't even have to break out the rubber ducky rain gear.

Most all returned for Sunday. 21 I believe was the final count, with a few leaving and a couple new faces.

2nd day saw us performing transition drills. When I find the sick sob that had this idea...EEL said it was Oddball that came up with this. Leave him home next time EEL.

Complete teardown and cleaning of the rifles the night before didn't seem to keep the malfunction gremlins away. Both Linda and I were experiencing stovepipe issues, and I was also having some trigger reset problems. Pappy to the rescue, some Marvel Mystery Oil cured out problems for a while, but they returned later in the day when it really mattered. The Federal bulk I was using went bang every time, but is really, really dirty. And if you put a power hammer in a 10/22, DO NOT use their trigger reset spring, leave the factory one.

M.E. called the line in the afternoon. She had provided us with some excellent cookie snacks Saturday and Sunday, and also some awesome venison and pork snack sausages. Thanks, they were great. A new line boss led to the first 'man among men' for the weekend, Carol and Jacob shooting rifleman scores. Congrats to them.

Some team building with the 'shoot the star off the tank' target led nearly to a call for an arbitrator. Fun for all with that little exercise. I'm up on how that all works now, so watch out next time. I'll have to bring out the big bullets, and lots of them.

2nd and 3rd strikes, some dangerous old men (and women) by Oddball and Pappy continued the history lessons.
EEL's stirring stories of the 7th step, those choosing to do something, left even the strongest in attendance with a tear in their eye. EEL's passion for the subject runs deep. Great job Bill!

2 attendees chose to take the 7th step, and accepted orange hats. Congrats to Tim and Carly!

Another rifleman later in the afternoon. Slacker made the number, again with M.E. calling the line. Do I see a pattern here?...

We stayed till the bitter end, trying to find that elusive score, but with body and equipment failing, scores declined throughout the afternoon.

Learned some new stuff, relearned some old stuff. Finding out what works and doesn't work for equipment. Another great time had. We plan to be back, and bring more friends. I hope this shoot at the ISRA range becomes one of the biggest in the state.

Gonna try to post some pictures, but all the ones we took can be found here
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z84/RacerDave6/Appleseed%20ISRA%206-09/?start=all

Dave

Sheepdog checking us in on Saturday morning

EEL instructing while Oddball demo's

M.E. calls the line...

While the Red hats lounge about...

Oddball tells of a dangerous old man

and Pappy tells of a dangerous old woman

M.E. with her 3rd rifleman of the day

Reveille and Oddball...trying to remember what to do?
When seconds count, the cops are minutes away

Garand69

Excellent Post Dave!!

It was great to see you and Linda at the Bonfield Shoot! It won't take you 758 shoots to get IMC, but I'm going to consider that an RSVP, what part of the State do you want to shoot in next? Or maybe you and Linda are up for a little border raiding? Either way I will do my best to get you to 758 Appleseeds  ;D

Thanks for reminding us about M.E. cranking out those Rifleman, seems that all it took was her to call the line, absolutly amazing. Poor Lil' EEL is probably trying to forget that part  **)
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Old Glory!

Quote from: RacerDave6 on June 08, 2009, 11:52:09 PM

25 Appleseeders attentively listened as EEL led us through the 4 safety rules, then demo'd prone. Damn, I can't get that song out of my head.

Cloudy and the threat of rain were no problem, as the covered firing line once again protected us. Drips, drizzle, and a couple pretty good downpours in the morning, yet here we were high and dry. Didn't even have to break out the rubber ducky rain gear.

EEL SANG?!  Sorry I missed that.  M.E. did you get a video? **)

ISRA sounds like a RESORT!  You have found a good one.  Being that close to Chicago the next Appleseed will no doubt be busting at the seams. O0

Quote from: Garand69 on June 09, 2009, 07:56:07 AM

what part of the State do you want to shoot in next? Or maybe you and Linda are up for a little border raiding?

I saw that Garand! 
RacerDave6, we welcome a little border raiding.  IMC will become perfectly clear in the pure WI air. ;)  Third time is a charm!

OG
Land o cheese
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Garand69

QuoteI saw that Garand! 
RacerDave6, we welcome a little border raiding.  IMC will become perfectly clear in the pure WI air.   Third time is a charm!

**)
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Sheepdog

Yep this was a great shoot. Everything about it all contributed to the overall success. Thanks to all!
Sheepdog
RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT

Pappy

Hello Group; I would like to Thank every one who helped tear down the range and put it back better than we found it!!! Many hands make for light work. Thank you!!! It was noticed by our ISRA Friend Jack. Thanks Jack for being a great host hope to see you on our line in the future. Team Illinois Instructor Corps did it again the next event will have to be screened for boarder raiders when word gets out this place will be packed like a state park on the 4th of July. All are welcome  ;D :) O0 Welcome to the new IIT`s!!! Well done to the new Rifleman and women.
And WOW those photos realy capture the event Outstanding Pic`s M.E.             See Ya on the Range, Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

M.E.

Hey Thanks Tons for posting the pics Garand!  I looked through them and I think you got the best...and a few extras!  :P Saved me lots of headache since I never get it quite right! This is what it's all about folks...TEAMWORK! 

O.G. - Had the video camera all ready but missed the EEL man Singin'!  Darn!  Have to wait for next time I suppose. 

Thanks again for a great Appleseed. 

M.E.

prattski

My family and I enjoyed an excellent weekend with a great bunch of shooters. Both the ISRA range and Jack, who was overseeing the range, were fantastic. I had a great time and want to thank all the Instructors and Shootboss EEL for the work they did. Thanks also to M.E. for the great pictures.

Since my wife went to Georgia with her sister at the last minute (lousy excuse I think) we recruited my 10 year daughter to shoot in her place. This was her first AS so she started out shooting only from prone through the drills and AQT's but by the second day she was insisting on doing all transitions and mag changes. She ended up doing a fine job of it and had a wonderful time.  Only one problem, I think my wife has lost her rifle to our 10 year old. Maybe they can share for awhile.

In the end we all had a good time and added one more Rifleman to the family in the process.

prattski

EEL

Sounds like a great excuse, I mean reason, to but another rifle   >:D

Thanks for being there.  And double thanks for the "bode of yose" stepping up!!   O0

EEL

Reveille

Tim, your daughter Kierston (I hope I spelled that right) was a pleasure coaching and she took instruction extremely well.  I THINK SHE IS ON THE FAST TRACK TO YET ANOTHER PRATT FAMILY RIFLEMAN PATCH!  :~ I hope my kids handle a rifle as professionaly as she does at age 10.  You must be very proud.   O0
  Thanks to all the shooters for taking the time to come out and spend it with us(Appleseeders).  You all made our job easy and very enjoyable.  I hope to see all of you on the trail soon.    Reveille.

A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Garand69

Quote from: Reveille on June 10, 2009, 10:59:56 PM
Tim, your daughter Kierston (I hope I spelled that right) was a pleasure coaching and she took instruction extremely well.  I THINK SHE IS ON THE FAST TRACK TO YET ANOTHER PRATT FAMILY RIFLEMAN PATCH!  :~ I hope my kids handle a rifle as professionaly as she does at age 10.  You must be very proud.   O0
  Thanks to all the shooters for taking the time to come out and spend it with us(Appleseeders).  You all made our job easy and very enjoyable.  I hope to see all of you on the trail soon.    Reveille.

I'll second that opinion, she is shooting very well and it will not be long  O0

QuoteM.E. said...Saved me lots of headache since I never get it quite right

What the heck are you talking about, haven't seen anything wrong yet ???
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

M.E.

AARRG  Garand...it's just that it takes me hours to figure it all out....I truely thank you for posting the pics!  You picked most of the ones I would have posted.

Prattski I just adore that one of Kiersten doing ball and dummy drills with you I could have stood there for hours watching her dedication.  I think I saw her tongue out in a few.  She has the true heart of a rifle(wo)man.  And for goodness sakes did you see that dimple!   O0 How can you not LOVE that!  She was a pleasure to work with. 

Sue we missed you and bummer you are going to have to buy a new rifle!  :~ O0

M.E.

EEL

Marlin 795 on sale at Cabella's for $99 after rebate.....Sat 6/13  0800-1200 ONLY

Makes for a nice, inexpensive loaner.  Drop a $40 svcope or set of Techs on it....there ya go !!   O0

EEL

prattski

Reveille, Kiersten does not mind much if you spell it wrong but do not mispronounce it within her earshot. As for your girls, with you as their dad they will be crack rifleman in no time if they choose to. It was good to meet your wife on Saturday, hope she had a good time.

M.E. Thanks again for all the great pictures. By the end of the day Sunday, Abby and Kiersten both were shooting very well. It was fun watching them shooting side by side through the transitions and mag changes, taking it all in stride. I even caught them chatting a time or too, but there minds were certainly on shooting their best.

EEL, thanks for all you did. Kiersten enjoyed your comments and appreciated the help from all the instructors. You better watch out though, she is determined to setup her account on the forum so she can keep up with her new friends. I may need to look into that Marlin, Good used 10/22's are hard to find these days it seems. How's the mag changes on the Marlin 795? Any better than the Marlin 60's were?

EEL

Slight problem there.  The Marlin 60 is a tube fed.  The 795 has 10 rnd mags.  They don't drop free w/o doing a touch of filing inside the well. 

Nothing major, but it needs to be done.  Otherwise you will have to break position and do a 2 handed mag swap.   :-[

Mags are $20, if you can find 'em.  I'm looking into a "group buy" kinda thing.  maybe save $3-5 on each.

Sam D can give lots of info on this rifle.  He LOVES 'em.  Rightly so.   ;D

EEL

prattski

EEL, you are correct, my bad.
I was thinking of the model 70 not 60. Good shooting gun but a poor mag release setup as i remember.