News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

ELK RIVER MN, 5-09-09

Started by colycat, May 07, 2009, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colycat

I will start this thread early.  Our thoughts and prayers should go out to VMT(Mike R} and his family.  His father is very ill, near death.  He has asked me to do his shoot for him.  Not the best way to start an AAR, I know, but life goes on, and Mikes Dad will go to a better place. 

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Mogget

VMT's (Mike) father and Sky Warrior's (Eric) grandfather passed away Wednesday evening.  Services are Sunday and Monday.  Please keep them and their family in your prayers.

Mogs

Old Glory!

VMT and Sky Warrior,
You are in our thoughts and prayers. 

VMT/SB, you did a great job getting ready for Elk River; preparing the COF and communicating with your Minnesota team; Aftermath, Whisker, Mogget, who all worked together to get the supplies, prepare at the range, finalize camping arrangements, etc.  Elk River AS TEAM ROCKS!   Colycat, Ahhshoot and Dragonfly will be leaving WI 3:00ish.  Arrive Elk River 8:00ish. 

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

sparks1

Our prayers for Vmt's family. This is Sunday morning and I am about to wake up my nephews for day 2 of our 1st Appleseed. Oops, guess I don't have to wake them. They're already stirring! My surprise, these two rarely see the early side of 10 am. They are really excited to go for another day of training (tho I think for Zach it's more for the shooting) Carson, on the other hand, enjoys learning the technical aspects of the shot. He is one that never gets his head out of his computer or games, and yet now is fired up to get to the range.
Thank you Appleseed Project and all the volunteers for what you do. If my nephews are an indication of the re-invigorating of this country's youth...it is a job well done, indeed. I will post after today with further info.

Sparks1
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Mogget

Colycat will have the important details but I want to say a few things...

First, my apologies to those of you that had to look at me all weekend.  When I got home tonight I looked in the mirror and...whew.

Second, thanks to Dean and Nathan Cummings, our official hosts, and the rest of the folks at Elk River.  What a nice range!  And here's a shout out to Walt, as well, for one of the nicest outdoor "facilities" I've ever experienced. 

Third, what a great weekend!  I enjoyed the experience tremendously.  Yes, it was a bit nippy at times, but it didn't actually rain on us...  And how many people get the opportunity to pick up the target line and move it 25 yards in the middle of a shooting event?  Eh?  That was one to write home about!  My thanks to my fellow instructors, from whom I learned a great deal, and a special mention to all the shooters.  By the end of the weekend it was pretty darn dangerous to be a redcoat on the far end of that range!  Congrats also to the five new riflemen, as well.

Finally, an extra special word to those who've expressed some interest in finding out how to "take up the Orange."  Let me tell you that it is an immensely satisfying experience to sink into your armchair when you get home on a Sunday night (okay, after a thirty minute shower) and know that you are exhausted, not from watching sports or washing the car, but from acting upon that subset of American ideals that the Appleseed program espouses by passing them on to others.  Really.

Mogs

dragonfly

Thanks to all who attended the May 9 and 10 2009 Appleseed. It is a pleasure when everyone brings a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. Congratulations to the 5 new Riflemen and those of you looking to put on a orange hat thanks for stepping up. Remember step 7 is for all of us, so let your friends and family know about Appleseed and bring them along to your next Appleseed.

Thanks to the great instructors and colycat for leading the ship and here's to another great weekend at Appleseed.

Oh yes, thank's to everyone who helped move the line Sat. morning what a great team building experience.

See you all on the trail.

dragonfly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

dragonfly

More riflemen on sunday.

Oh yeh, sven with a 210 on sunday

K.I.S.S.

Nuge

Thank you to everyone who made this shoot possible.  Thanks to the crew for the instruction, the history and the chance to be with a great group of people.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the new patch!!  ;D  That's me on the far right in the first picture in the post above this one.

Trent

Trisha

Congrats to all, things seemed to have gone pretty smoothly even though you had to move the line...sometimes things happen that can't be controlled and I heard that it went as fast as it could have. I wished I could have been there with my husband Ahhshoot, but I will be there next time. I hope you all enjoyed the shoot and hopefully I will see you all at another AS.

sparks1

What a wonderful experience. My first Appleseed, and definitely not my last. I have shot firearms for many years, but came away realizing how little I really knew about making the shot. My thanks to the host range(they will see me in F-class soon) , the instructors and fellow shooters . Instruction was excellent and the history was also. I found both most interesting.
Thanks to one last tip from "Colycat" (trigger reset) I was able to put it all together... I am no longer a cook, and will keep working to never be again. Last photo is me and the shoot boss.
  My nephews want to attend again, but I am having second thoughts about the youngest. He may have to wait awhile. It will depend on how well he does when I take them to my home range to practice all we have learned. A special thanks to the instructors for your patience with the lad.
Next is step 7...

(John Maxwell)

sparks1

Just a thought for Elk River attendees... I just looked up Elk River Sportsmans Club and sent an email thanking them for hosting the Appleseed. I very much appreciated their hosting it and wanted to let them know.                                             

contact@ersportsman.com   here is their email.

(John Maxwell)

Sven

I want to thank the Appleseed Instructor Team for putting on a well run and very informative event.  Especially to Colycat for stepping up on short notice.  Spending time on a range and only getting to watch other people shoot can be very frustrating, the team was always helpfull and upbeat throughout even when moving the line.  I've got over 20 years in the active Army and National Guard, 19 years in combat arms and I learned quite a bit about rifle marksmanship this last weekend.  The history lessons were a lot of fun too, I picked a couple of books off the shelf and read again about the events of 19 April, 1775, good stuff.  I really appreciate your efforts and hope to return the favor, soon.  Sparks idea is a good one and I will contact the club to express my appreciation to them also.  Thanks again for your efforts.  Looking forward to my next Appleseed.
"I was spotting one day and M2 was hitting baseball sized dirt clods at 300yds away. DON'T F/K with an old man with a Garand... " RED DAWN

vmt193

Thank you all for your prayers! And thank you all for being in Elk River to make it happen.

My AAR: Dad was a veteran of the Korean War so there was an Honor Guard detachment from the local VFW to send him off in style. Any of you that have been to a funeral with military honors, especially you veterans, will know what a powerful experience it is. The salute from the M1s, the mournful sound of TAPS, and as a recent enlistee in the US Army, Skywarrior being presented with the coffin flag. "Wow......"

Back to the real AAR: It sounds like it was a great weekend at the Elk River range! I tried to find a way to sneak up there on Saturday, but just couldn't get away. Sounds like we'll have another orange hat or two at the next AS. Great job! That's how it's supposed to work. How many shooters did we end up with? Does it look like there might be another Elk River AS in the future?

vmt

dragonfly

More Elk river

K.I.S.S.

dragonfly

More pics from Elk river

K.I.S.S.

colycat

When some one said Elk River, MN, I thought this is going to be great! Way up North, no one around.  Actually, Elk River is a suburb of Minneapolis.  But that's OK, because there are a lot of people who need Appleseed, and there are plenty of people in the Twin Cities area.

We had 37 Shooters show up.  The instructor crew was made of Dragonfly, Mogget, Whisker, Aftermath, Ahhshoot, and all did a great job.

It is always rewarding to do an AS, I don't know if I ever reach the hearts and minds of the students, but I like to think so.

Thank you all for coming to the AS project, and I hope to see you on the AS trail.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Whisker

Thanks to all who helped to make this happen.  Especially Dean, for whom without, this Appleseed wouldn't have left the mumblings of the internet and happened in the real world! 

It is encouraging to witness the many ways of liberty.  At each Appleseed I grasp another perspective of the ideals of the revolutionary generation.  Liberty in action is always a beautiful sight.  Thanks Elk River attendees and fellow instructors!

What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

selectivefocus

I just want to thank the instructors for a great weekend of training. I also want to thank Dean and everyone who organized the shoot. It's events like this and people like all of you that make me proud to be an American  O0

colycat

:)

AFTERMATH

Well, what can I say?
Another fantastic Appleseed!!!

Mike, even though you may not have been there physically; you were still there in our hearts.
Your influence and inspiration was present through-out the weekend.
We are greatful for all the work you have put in to getting our state going, and look forward to working with you more, cultivating the 'seeds' you have sowed.

Well how about it, Minnesota?
37 shooters on Saturday.
34 shooters on Sunday?

5 new Riflemen.

Congratulations:  James, Sven, Ron, Curt, and Trent

One Rifleman on the first AQT on Saturday!
And followed that up with 4 more on Sunday!
Several more, knocking on the door. 
Was it 1 or 2 more orange hats?  And several more expressing interest.
Now all we need is about 12 more shoots like this, and we'll be ready for next year.

Colycat executed the shoot flawlessly, as always!
And all the Instructor staff performed exceptionally well;  Whisker, Ahhshoot, Dragonfly, Mogget
All are great assets to the program, and will continue to be indispensible in the future.
(I was there too, but they were the real stars)

Thank you to all who attended, the spirit of April 19, 1775, is in you.
Take that spirit and pass it on, so that others may epirience the euphoria of Liberty.

Many thanks to the Elk River Sportsmans Club for allowing us to access their excellent facillities for the weekend.  We hope you'll have us back sometime.

Special thanks, to Sparks for tipping us off to the Elk River Sportsman Club, and setting us up with Dean, who also deserves recognition for making this event happen.

Well I guess that's all I have to say about that.

I'll see you on the Appleseed Trail,

Aftermath

Oh, one more thing. 

In the History of Appleseed, there's been thunder, rain, and lightening. There's been hail, there's been tornados.
There have even been hurricanes.
Colorado had a blizzard.  California patented the flying saucers.
But has anyone had to pick up the target line, in the middle of the shoot, and move the entire line down 50 yards?
Does Minnesota get to claim that one first, or am I to pummel my brain for something else?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

colycat

Aftermath,

You are so right on more MN shoots.  We had 4 Riflemen step up for IIT.  I am still working on getting them signed up with Admin.  Another 2 or 3 shoots this year and you guys would be set for next year.  And this does not count the 5 or 6 shooters who are at 195 to 208.  Look for them at the next event :~

The Elk River Sportsman Club was the perfect place to hold an AS, 400 acres, with several ranges and camping for the shooters. Perfect!

AFTERMATH

O0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

tc95gt

What a great event with a bunch of great Americans in attendance.

Colycat did a fantastic job of running this shoot along with all the other instructors.  O0

The history, the shooting and the commraderie made this AS a true success.

Thanks to everyone.

ahhshoot

Hope I'm not to late to post on this crazy popular AAR #). I was in southern IL fixing power lines, so no power much less internet.
I had a blast. Kudos to all the new Riflemen. And thanks to all who helped move the line. Looking foreward to seeing all of you "knocking on the door" in Wisconsin(God's Country) soon.
The past is only the future with the lights on.

AFTERMATH

It's never too late! ;)

AFTERMATH

:o

Zombie187

well, I know I'm slow to the party. I had a great time. I was a bit heart broken to score 208, especially since I rushed, had misfires, and had multiple mag changes on that target. Life goes on. I'll get it next time. I'm the guy w/ the mega misfiring ruger. I found out its because the primers are made to keep the gun from firing when the bolt shuts on an AK or SKS or something. Anyways... here are some photos....

here is just a smidgen of the wolf ammo that didnt go off...

thanks again everyone!

we'll see you all next time...

colycat

We have 2 new instructors from this shoot.  Sparks1 and James 101.  Congratulations guys and welcome to Appleseed.  Now, get reading the forum instructors manuals and get signed up for the upcoming events.
I think there were 2 more people who wanted to get involved as instructors.  So, if you are online get a PM to me, so I can get you signed up.