News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

SNODAR Monroe WA 4-25th / 26th

Started by STRAT, April 26, 2009, 12:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRAT

Special thanks to KDan for coming to the opposite coast to run the AS.

5 Shooters on the line and three made Rifleman by the end of Today at 17;00.

Cold and rainy as usual for this location but the shooting line cover kept everybody mostly dry, some rifles and pant seats got wet but the shooters did not let it stop them from improving and scoring better.

Thanks to RWVA and it's members for making the AppleSeed project prosper, it is greatly appreciated.

Tomorrow will do our best to make more Riflemen.
Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
— Thomas Paine, Thoughts on Defensive War (1775).
location  SNODAR   Snohomish County WA state

STRAT

End of day two Sunday.

Two more walk on shooters joined the line and one made Rifleman.

Beautiful weather this day, Rapid fire AQT  got more votes from the shooters as the democratic choice of  AQT, both ways were used.

4 out of 7 shooters making Rifleman the first AppleSeed was more than I expected, rifle malfunctions and Platforms stopped two of the shooters from qualifying, they had the skill the rifle just would not run reliably enough to deal with the malfunctions and stay within the time limits.

Great fun and a good time was had by all.
Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Rifleman

Awesome location, instruction, and history!

Strat and KDan really pulled it together and made it enjoyable.

Thanks for all the hard work to make the world a better/safer place.

TheUpsetter

Nice work STRAT and KDan!  I wish I could have been there, and I'm looking forward to being back to SNODAR soon, hopefully in June.

Congrats to all the new Riflemen!   We really could use a few more hands to help us out up here in Washington, so please consider becoming an Instructor in Training.  You can PM me with any questions you may have.

Huzzah!

_TheUpsetter
"When matters are done leisurely, seven out of ten of them will turn out badly.  A warrior is a person who does things quickly." - Hagakure

Fred

STRAT and all, I'm sure none of you are going to tell me we've "capped out" in your area with 7 shooters.

Nice weather, and a shelter when it does rain - and only 7 turn out?

What do we need to do, to get more?

I hope each of those 7 left the range dedicated to the "7th step", and determined to bring more with 'em next time.

But you can't count on that (we never rest on our laurels, in this prgram).

Seems to me some local "get out the vote" is needed. Some local drum-beating. A call to any residual of local manhood that may still be present in the state of Washington (and womanhood, too!).

Great weekend for you - there're all great, every Appleseed - but need to keep pushing to get more there, next time.

And the way to do it, is to have a plan.

Guess I'm asking, do you have a plan, yet?

One that starts being implemented, say, about right now? :)

There's gotta be more than seven in the state of Washington who know time is late, things are spinning out of control, the ship is sinking - and who need the hope and courage to bail that AS gives them.

@)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

STRAT

There is room for 20 shooters on the line and should not be any trouble having full registration in the coming months but SNODAR is a micro climate known for cold and rain (hence the cover over the line) so much so, PUD claims 152 inches of rain a year as opposed to only 39 inches a year in Seattle just 30 miles away.

Sunday was mostly sunny beautiful day but those that missed Sunday missed more than nice weather they missed a opportunity  to become a Rifleman.

"Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and show the world that a free man, contending for his liberty on his own ground, is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth." George Washington, July 2, 1776

TheUpsetter

STRAT,
Let's get a 3-man team going up here in the NW with the mission of getting your range filled up. 

Some thoughts on where to start:
- Contact all the shooters that have been out there already, even at the first mini
- Contact all the shooters that have expressed interest in a Monroe event but haven't made it out
- Contact all the shooters who have been at other Washington events
- Get the schedule for your place posted on all relevant forums online
- Make a list of all places to post flyers to; gun shops, sports shops, etc
- Begin the EPT program up here - contacting many types of clubs with press releases
- List and contact the sports editors of relevant publications, and call ins to local talk radio
- Make plans to attend a gun show with a booth
- Prepare flyers for upcoming gatherings (tea parties, C4L convention in Seattle)
- Get the IIT's in Washington to help us out with the footwork for all this

_TheUpsetter
"When matters are done leisurely, seven out of ten of them will turn out badly.  A warrior is a person who does things quickly." - Hagakure

kDan

STRAT,

Thanks for providing AS with an opportunity to take advantage of your facilities.  I think the fact that defens has stepped up to IIT will help out a lot.  He shot Rifleman on Saturday and on Sunday we had him demonstrating prone and sitting to our Sunday one day shooters.  STRAT knows his stuff and was giving fine instruction all week-end.

Fred, 

I attempted to give the 7th step speech, but no one can do it like you.  I suggest, and we discussed, an eventual IBC at SNODAR.  There's an excellent building with a stove, table and a couple chairs.  Just about each shooter on the line made a point of saying they were point man for their friends.  "My buddies wanted to come out but they're letting me check it out first."  We have a couple wives behind the scenes and even a couple kids waiting in the wings.  I have no doubt Washington will take off with SNODAR and STRAT leading the way. 

To the event:

Some real shooters here.  We didn't have anyone over 8moa even on the first redcoat.  Linden handled his m1a like a paint brush.  I guess maybe it helps that he's about 8 feet tall and weighs as much as a volkswagen.  One of his buddies made the comment that his m1a was his carry piece and I found myself wondering if it were possible.  The guy is huge.  Everyone was very friendly and the jokes were flying.  Gotta be careful around I.T. people, they'll get you before you know you been got.

Saturday went well.  We made two Riflemen out of five shooters.  I think we would have had two more but for sight alignment issues with a GSG .22 (Levi had to put the sights an inch above the prone targets - no elevation adjustment) and some malfunctioning 10/22's. 

The range is in its own little eco-system.  It seems to rain just a bit whenever it feels like it, then the sun comes out and goes away and the wind picks up.  Quite odd.  Driving in, you get the feeling your dipping down into some sort of natural depression.  On the whole a great location.  Where STRAT has dug this range out of the land, you are really down in the earth and the berm is high enough and full way around so the neighbors just a few miles away don't even have to know what's going on.

Sunday we had two new shooters who were quickly schooled up by STRAT and our new IIT, defens.  kDan was able to sit in a chair and listen to the sound of birds for a moment or two.   Can we get these two gentleman Orange hats?  The sooner we can get STRAT up to a red hat, the sooner they'll be off and running.  He's got the knowledge of shooting, safety, and even the AS program.  He just needs to follow up with the formalities.  I think the couple Red Hats we do have out there should be able to push this program along.  The shooters are in the wings just waiting to hear it's time to come out.

A redcoat, and then we ran the rest of the day with Rapid Fire AQT's, a Nickle-style Rapid Fire Squares Drill, a ball and dummy, and some more transition AQT's which were requested by some shooters.  I think the folks were happy with the number of rounds we put down range.  Some guys ran out of ammo, and I ran out of targets.  Brought a little bit of New England to the Northwest.

I am posting photos of our Rifleman.  Luka, and Roelof, your patches will go out this week.  Levi joined RWVA.  I'd like to thank everyone who came out, sincerely.

- corrected for punctuation
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

TheUpsetter

Nice report, KDan.

We need to get a Green Hat on STRAT, asap, and get this range on auto-pilot.

We had the ball rolling for an IBC a couple of months ago and I had about 8 shooters interested in it.  All we need is a Master Instructor lined up, a date, and an official go ahead from HQ.  The participants are definitely there to support one. 

Nice work, STRAT!

_TheUpsetter

Nickle

So you know, for that IBC, you need an MI, or kDan or Dinky Dao. Thay have been signed off to Shoot Boss IBC's.

You've got the shooters lined up, sounds like you have the location, and the go ahead is a given.

Make arrangements with whoever will be the SB for it, set the dates, and make sure to get the EIP info to SavageShootr. Let ME know once you have the date, location and Shoot Boss set (for IBC's, I want to know who the SB is up front, unlike an Appleseed).
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

STRAT

June 27 and 28th is AppleSeed at SNODAR, so  June 24 & 25 & 26 would be ideal for IBC, thats a full week before Independence day so calenders can be kept open.

Nickle

Quote from: STRAT on April 29, 2009, 02:36:12 PM
June 27 and 28th is AppleSeed at SNODAR, so  June 24 & 25 & 26 would be ideal for IBC, thats a full week before Independence day so calenders can be kept open.

Send a PM to kDan, Dinky Dao and the other MI's that usually work the IBC's, and get one lined up.

Best is the weekend before, and IBC's can be 2 day or 3 day. If you have just 25 meter capability (or students that are really good), 2 day works well.

You NEED to ask them, to start the arrangements.

Yes, this is just about backwards from planning an Appleseed. We know that.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

kDan

We talked about this while I was there.  I thought the problem was getting enough folks that could take the time off.  Three day IBC and a two day seed is a lot.  If you can get folks lined up and I get the thumbs up, I should be able to make it.

Let me know.  I'd be happy to.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

BrewerPatriot

I've been following this with keen interest. I'm in the middle of preparations to move, and change jobs (always excuses!), but I am planning on showing my face and rifle soon. The weather doesn't bother me. In fact, I was a bit dismayed at the phenomenal weather at Wades a couple weeks ago; I like the challenge the weather brings. Like I've said, next time I'll have my sights squared away.

Upsetter, your instruction and support were most welcome, I look forward to shooting with you. As my marksmanship improves, I'd like to get more involved.

BrewerPatriot

TheUpsetter

Great, BrewPatriot.  We need all the help we can get.

April 19th at Wade's in Castle Rock was unique because he, being a trucker and all, brought us up a load of California Sunshine just for that event.  That doesn't happen all the time, but it sure is nice when it does.

_TheUpsetter

kDan

Quote from: BrewerPatriot on April 30, 2009, 12:46:25 AM
As my marksmanship improves, I'd like to get more involved.

BrewerPatriot

BrewerPatriot,

another way of looking at it: 

As you get more involved, your marksmanship improves. 

No joke.  When I get into position these days, and line up those sights, it's like coming home and putting my feet up.  Instructing is at LEAST as helpful as range practice, and the results are multiplied. 

As soon as you can, immerse yourself, brother.

See you on the trail.

Upsetter, I didn't think you guys had to import "california sunshine".  I thought y'all grew your own.  oops  ++)
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Nickle

Quote from: kDan on April 30, 2009, 04:21:49 PM

Instructing is at LEAST as helpful as range practice, and the results are multiplied. 

I have to agree with that. Instructing doesn't totally replace shooting, but, kDan and I know a certain helper that was at an IBC recently helping that has come a long way, mostly through observing and watching, and helping some, as and when needed. SHe doesn't get to shoot as much as she would want, but 99% of the old bad habits are gone, though not forgotten (she slipped the IBC students a few curves, on purpose).

kDan

Patches in the mail. 

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

DeFens

KDan - I'm working on my first IIT test now to send to you. Also got the NRA RSO home study materials, and plan to get that cert in the next week or two. I should be ready to help out for the June event at SNODAR.

DeFens

Rifleman

Three years later, my oldest was finally old enough to attend a shoot.

Mom, Wife, and Son all shot @ Medical Lake last weekend.

Dad and youngest made the trip too!

Thanks to all the volunteers.

Linden