News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Great Ottawa, IL (so far no) flood, 2009

Started by TheEditor, April 19, 2009, 12:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEditor

25 shooters, only a couple of sprinkles so far.

Two AQT's.  One new Rifleman (so far). 

And a VERY COOL rev war reenactor with full gear, who did demo shots from a rifle and a musket immediately after the shots heard round the nation.  Pictures tomorrow. 

The Editor
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

EEL

25 shooters on Saturday, 21 today

Well, Editor did it....Just had to say "no flood".  Needless to say, we were rained on the ENTIRE day today.  Our shooters were blessed because Dana, one of our shooters, erected not 1 but 2 canopies at the equipment line.  They were a life saver today!!  Buffalo Rock also improved the firing line using 4x4s and pea gravel so our shooters weren't lying in 2" of water this year. Everyone that said they would be back came out and braved the steady rain.  No "Sunshine Patriots" in this bunch!!!  Makes me proud to be associated with these shooters.

Colycat's Nationwide volley went off as planned.  Our shooters were briefed and responded with disciplined aimed fire.  It was truely heartwarming to listen to 25 rifle reports knowing that there were almost 2,000 other rifles being fired at that same instant all across our great nation.  Roughly 20,000 rounds went downrange at the same time in honor of our forefathers!   :~   :~   :~

We made 3 new Riflemen this weekend.  Andrew on Saturday and Mike and Pat today.  Congratulations to all 3.  As for our other shooters, while they may not have shot the score to receive that coveted patch, in my opinion, they all persisted and persevered through the constant daylong downpour with the tenacity of Riflemen.  They all showed they have the heart.  If you have the heart, the numbers will come.  It is the Rifleman that makes the patch...Not the other way around.  Quit was not vocabulary this weekend.

Keep an eye out for pictures to be posted by The Editor.  Anyone wants to chime in, feel free.

On behalf of the Instructor Corps,  EEL, The Editor, and JoeZ, it was an honor to be in the presence of so many Americans on this historic weekend.  Our thanks go out to all of you for your hard work and willingness to endure the elements in remembering those that gave so much that we may be free!

Respectfully,
EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

TheEditor

Ian, our Rev War Reenactor in full gear, demonstrated his Pennsylvania Rifle, to the cheers of all the Appleseeders present. 
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

Flags, courtesy of EEL and Fred, and covered equipment and get out of the rain line while doing history or prepping mags line, courtesy of Dana. 

TE
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

CORRECTION!

Our Rev War Reenactor was DAN, not Ian.  Just my brain working slower than my keyboard, kind of like when Hitler bombed Pearl Harbor...

The Editor
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

IIT Joe Z does Second Strike, with interested Appleseeders and Shoot Boss EEL looking on, and Rev War flags fluttering in the breeze. 
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

And, of course, the reason we do AS in the first place, to teach Marksmanship and Heritage to our students.  And they were EXCELLENT students!

TE
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

These signs greeted visitors to our host range this weekend.  And those shooters who came to this public range not for Appleseed, but just to shoot, were greeted at the sign in desk with copies of the Appleseed Newspaper and SWAT reprints. 

Just getting the word out. 

TE
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

colycat

Sounds like a Great Weekend.

JoeZ will not be IIT at his next shoot, I think.

Glad the cof for the Nation wide volley worked out for you.  You Guys and Gals in Ill(sucks) are the best of Appleseed!  I cant figure, but its true.

Coly
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Garand69

Excellent work Team Illinois!!!

Hey Colycat, Thanks for the loan on a few excellent IIT's  O0

How about those shooters, let's hear some of your experiences regarding 4/18-19 in Ottawa <:)
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

M1D

Had a good time in spite of the rain.  I would have originally have preferred to be at the DAR but signed up for Ottawa early.  I'm glad I was at Ottawa because I really enjoyed EEL's presentation, he is very obviously my kind of American.
     Unfortunately I will not be able to attend another Appleseed soon because we are working on getting my daughter married to that new Rifleman here at our house and there is a lot of work to do between now and then.  I will make time to dry fire and shoot squares between now and my next Appleseed, I'm thinking every Sunday morning while my wife is at church.  Both of my children plan to go again but Heather requires a scope as she couldn't even see the last stage of the AQT.
     I will watch the board for opportunities to help that I can pitch in on.
     Thank you all very much!
     john   
"....with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."
Our first Congressmen

"It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated to the great task remaining before us....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain-that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom-and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
A. Lincoln

"That's what we do.  We're Americans"
USN Corpsman

Ashes

Thanks to all the instructors for a great Appleseed.
I had a lot of fun and am planning to attend another Appleseed for more instruction.

thor_axx

Good turnout, even on Sunday with the rain. Most were shooting .22 with a few .223 and one .303 enfield.

Art

C+R collector

It was my first Appleseed and definitely won't be the last!  O0 I had a great time and the mix of history and shooting instruction was great!  Heck, I even enjoyed shooting in the rain and mud all Sunday.  Made me remember basic training in the army 22 years ago!

My wife enjoyed it as well even though she bailed after the first day.  She talked about setting up something in the house or back yard to dry fire.

Krisda

thor_axx

My wife was there on Saturday as well. We were both shooting AR-15's.

Art

JoeZ

Working Appleseed is rewarding as you work with quality people and this one was no dissapointment. I'm glad to have met you guys,  C+R Collector, thor_axx, M1D.

An item of note; we had mostly all first time Appleseeders so the rifleman to participant ratio may seem low.

Editor....you look good in the red hat. jrturbo made red hat in Feb so that makes me the rotten egg of the class of Barton '06(the tornado AS).
Better late than never.

Great job EEL. Your history/motivational bits are too be remebered and imitated. The Appleseeders from the shoot will vouch for that.

Good day all and lets keep moving.

sincerely
JoeZ
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

dragonfly

Congratulations to the new Rifle(wo)men at Ottawa. Good job. The rest of you I'm sure with what you learned you're on the way. Practice and persistence it wont take long.
See you on the trail.
dragonfly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

tenring

I thank you all for delivering a great experience at the Buffalo Range last weekend. I learned more than how to shoot. I plan to return and develop into a Rifleman. Thanks Mark Wissing

Sheepdog

RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT

BOOMER_EOD

hey everyone

Lil PAPPY here. Sounds like another great appleseed back in my hometown. Sry to hear about Ottawa's reputation still stays strong with the rain. The appleseed in pensacola went great. Lots of new appleseeders and future rifleman. O0