News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Cloverdale, IN 4/18-19

Started by hawkhavn, April 18, 2009, 11:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkhavn

The sold out shoot at Cloverdale stayed that way 3 no shows but 3 walk-ons evened things out.
Excellent shoot so far, finished 1 AQT and anticipate handing out some patches tomorrow.

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

SavageShootr

That worked out perfectly!!

Looking forward to the second day report.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

techres

Day One:

The first day brought a group of 24 to the range with one observer.  The weather was beautiful and the range was ready from Dave who had everything setup from the night before.  Once everyone was checked in, we got the line under way:

After some basics and the first Read Coats, we had the shooters on the ground and beginning their training:

Then came those "crushing" early sigher squares:

10/22's of all types dominated the line:

The shooters practiced their prone position:

And grunted through the sitting position:

And then got ready for their first AQT:

After a warm catered lunch (Sloppy Joes!), it was back to the line and learning!

One shooter was being pestered by brass and we had to improvise a nice brass deflector:

We had a great line of shooters (all of them):

And by the end of the day we saw some great shooting!  Even better, we saw the signs of a rifleman/riflewoman in each of them - here we see one checking the inches/minutes/clicks notes so be sure of what sight adjustments needed to be made rather than just "spinning the dial":

At 4 we stopped along with all the other shooters around the country to recount those special names and fire in their honor.  A very special moment it was too.  After a pause, we got back to the training that best honors our forefathers.

We spent so much time shooting that we only ran First and Second Strike on Saturday.  The history left with the cliffhanger of the regulars approaching Miriams corner.  There was an audible moan as the story would not be resolved but would have to hang in the air awaiting the next day.

Also of note - as the day drew to a close the weather dropped and we began to get warning that the second day would not be sunny and warm, but might be wet as predicted.

Day Two:

Day two was a very different day summed up by the words "rain" & "mud":

Shooters all came well prepared for the rain with ponchos and rain gear.  Soon we were back on the line and shooting:

Day 2 brought the ball & dummy drill and my favorite sight - people teaching each other to shoot better:

Wifes taught husbands and daughters taught fathers:

After another catered lunch, it was time to get back to the AQT:

At the end of the day we did not have anyone break 210 but we were painfully close with a 206 and many 195+ shooters.  I am sure many of these will rifleman on their next time out, many more will as well if they practice their NPOA positions!

It was a great weekend, no other way to say it.

History, shooting, good people, and new friends.  All the things this program is about.  I was proud to be apart of it and amazed at the skills, tenacity, and willingness to learn that each of our shooters showed over the space of the weekend.

We had experienced shooters, new shooters, old and young, men, women, boys, girls, shooters with physical challenges and kids who were using very mechanically challenging rifles.  All, and I mean all, did great and should be proud of themselves.

Thanks to each of you, and I hope to see you again on the trail soon.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Deuce

Thanks for the pics Techres!

Sure was a great weekend, I've been telling everyone I know.  Hopefully there will be two new shooters in Ohio, one in Minnesota and a couple more locally soon.

joe