News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

"Firebase Ripcord" Report

Started by Fred, August 18, 2007, 10:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Despite disappointing weather - we were hoping for the 100+ degrees of Friday to carry over into Sat - instead we got low-to-mid 90s and fairly low humidity - at one point Fred was complaining about the cool breeze passing over the firing line! - it was a great shoot.

We started with a little of the near-unbelievable history of Firebase Ripcord, and went into the "Hits Count!" redcoat target, just for laughs, 'cause there were a lot of 'veteran' shooters who came.

And it showed, right at the start.

This group weighed toward the longer ranges in effectiveness with a rifle - 200 was nothing, 300 was more like it, and for a few, 400 was nothing.

Then it was announced that everyone there was in a line company in the 101st (Airborne) and set for deployment in the Ripcord AO, with breaking word that the colonel needs a driver, and he wants the best shot to be his driver.

Dang! A way to get out of the jungle! No sores, no fungus, no being overun in the early morning hours by NVA sappers with sachel charges!

So up goes an AQT, facing a lot of motivated shooters.

High score was a 247 (with a .22 with iron sights), and there were plenty of rifleman scores turned in.

The announcement of the winner was made by asking "Who's got 248 or more for a score?" ;D

Then up on the 500-yard pop-up range, where we were faced with targets that were more than usually invisible. Tough to hit 'em, if you can't see 'em! :(

In fact, you know you're in for a tough time with iron sights when someone with a scope-sighted rifle asks, "Are the targets up, yet?"

We started with rifles on the line, a single guard present as everyone else went to the parking lot for "chow call". When the guard detected an intrusion, he fired a shot, and it was a mad dash for the line, grab your rifle, sling-up, and let them have it! Popups falling left and right!

Then to the speed shoot - 4 pops at 200, 4 at 300 - with unlimited rounds and 60 secs max.

True to the dictum that times fall in hot weather, the winning time was 32 secs, instead of the usual 20 or so.

Without pause, it was into the "Counterattack" - three-man teams advancing downrange, engaging popups - only, with a little extra: the team had to deal with smoke which (sometimes) obscured the targets.

It got hotter as the day wore on, and by the time "Sniper" rolled around, people were ready to finish 'em off and go home (or maybe it was only Fred!).

At one point, Fred looked around an noticed everyone at his position on the line, up on his knees, with binocs pressed to his eyes, looking down range.

What the...? Did Fred miss something? Have others had the word passed to them you need binocs to even 'see' the popups?

At any rate, it reminded Fred of a line of startled-into-alertness gophers, all staring at a threat to see what it was. (Not disparaging here, simply pointing out an amusing image.)

Then we had an 11-year-old ninety-pound boy who shot an 8mm Mauser all day.

I noticed he saved his team at one down-range stage by hitting an invisible target at 150 yards - standing! Good shooting!

Next up: The RWVA WW2 US Army Sniper School on Sept 15th; the traditional UN Shoot (can we say that?) on Oct 20 (sorry to be a little early celebrating "UN Appreciation Day" in America - it's a calendar thing), and the December Korean War US Army Sniper School (much tougher than the WW2 one, so best if you can make the first one, too).
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Fred

I should've mentioned we had a Kenaru Reeves look-a-like at this shoot, so all you females who wanted to come but didn't might have missed your chance.

Now that I think about it, there was a Ben Affleck look-a-like at the Vermont shoot.

You know, maybe we should point things like this out, just to bump the 'female Appleseeders' numbers up some... ;D
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

Nickle

Well Fred, we did have that nice looking young lady at Vermont. Since she's planning on attending Jericho, I'm wondering just how many young men are going to attend.

Yes, she had 4 lads that were quite enthralled with her, and I'll bet they get the word out. I do know that she's become quite the motivation factor for 3 of the lads, as she outshot them by quite a bit. The 4th lad (a 12 year old) was shooting about the same as she was, and he was some proud of that. 2 of the young men have admitted all of this to me, and they both know the other 2.

Ladies, if you want the good looking men to start falling at your feet, learn to shoot well, and they'll worship you. Nothing excites a guy much more than a lady that can shoot.

Also, never underestimate a youngster with a rifle. They will surprise you quite often.

And, a 247? That's strong.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Fred

I should add that I was so missing the Ottawa Appleseed this weekend that on Saturday morning I turned up the firehouse volume and gave them the 'guts' of the Saturday Appleseed training in less than 30 minutes.

The pressure from the firehose was enormous that half-hour, my friends. ;D

But, dadblameit, it was Saturday morning, and time to Appleseed!!!!

Grin Reaper

QuoteI should've mentioned we had a Kenaru Reeves look-a-like at this shoot, so all you females who wanted to come but didn't might have missed your chance.
[Keanu imitation] "Dude, rifles rock!." [Keanu imitation/]
"There's gotta be a few umlauts laying around somewhere." JB