News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Evansville IN. March 21-22 AAR

Started by EEL, March 24, 2009, 01:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EEL

I arrived in Evansville as the sun was setting on Red Brush Range.  Directions were spot on.  Sur+rifle came and unlocked the gates so I could start getting my tent set up.  I found Brokensling, Hooters Billy and .5 already there setting up their mansion.  Nice to see old friends again. 

We had 20 shooters registered, 17 were either juniors or women.  Sorry Fred, don't think you covered wages on this shoot!   Wait, on second thought, you did.  I know Fred doesn't mind and neither did the Instructors as it is truly refreshing to see our future comming out to Appleseed events.

After the intro, safety rules and line commands we got started right away with a Red Coat and moved quickly to prone position, 6 steps of firing a shot, and shooting squares.

Even though the weatherman said it was to be a bright sunny day, the clouds moved in and we got a slight rain about mid morning.  Timing is everything, so Hooters Billy gave the first strike.  At the lunch break, Brokensling gave us the second strike.  The 4-H graciously came out and provided a nice warm meal at a minimal cost.  It hit the spot on a cool overcast day!

Back to shooting!  We completed all the postion demonstrations and the groups started to get smaller.  So much so, that it was time for Brokensling to go over IMC.  Armed with this information, sights were adjusted.  We ended with an AQT and the third strike.

Sunday morning the 4-H was there early and had bisquits & gravy and French Toast ready for the shooters when they arrived.  We got them fed and put 'em on the line.  More squares and more AQTs.  At the lunch break, we again had a nice lunch courtesy of the 4-H and were given the story of Dangerous Old Men   Then back to the line.  That Hawk is a slave driver!!

At the mid afternoon hydration break, we heard how the acts of courage and Patriotism displayed on April 19, 1775 have been repeated by Americans ever since.  Our obligation is to continue that Heritage.

Our many junior shooters were repeat Appleseeders. Very responsible young Americans that gave it their all...for the entire weekend!  We told them they would be treated as adults, that this was not play time, and there was to be no horseplay.  They listened, they responded, and they persisted.  The look on a youngsters face as he / she moves down range and sees what they have accomplished cannot be bought anywhere at any price.

We made a few Riflemen and picked up an IIT or two.  Hopefully Hawk or Sur+ rifle will chime in here with the specifics.  Hawkhavn closed out the Appleseed on Sunday, and in true Appleseed fashion, we left the range cleaner than when we found it.

I feel blessed to have been at this shoot.  Evansville was my 1st Appleseed back in '06.  If you ever get tired of the long drives, longer hours, and begin to wonder if it's all worth it.....I suggest you come to E'ville when these kids are on the line...........Any doubts will be erased. 

My thanks to all "my guys" on the left end of the firing line.  You remind me that there is hope for our Nation.

Respectfully,
EEL.
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Bill 3

Pictures Pictures Pictures...
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

Bill 3

More pictures...
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

Garand69

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Mudcat

We had 3, Ethan was first and steped up to become an IIT, then Jesse he is in JROTC, followed by Greg. Chris also shot Rifleman as he did last year. The other 2 that were close will be back again in April. Seems like a good ratio when compared to the number of jr. shooters we had.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

techres

Good job guys & gals!

That has to be the largest number of kids at an event that I have seen.  It truly is inspirational.

Good job on shifting with the weather & demographics.  Glad to see the new Riflemen and especially the new IIT. 

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Cowdog

Broken Sling,
Can I upload a couple of your pictures to mine or my wife's blog? She got a couple of comments about Appleseed and "Dangerous Militia types" on her blog www.grannymillerblog.blogspot.com. The pictures tell the real story.

My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

Old Glory!

WAY TO GO .5!  I see you demonstrating the seated position and walking the line.  I am sure you made a big impression on the other youths in attendance.

Good work all.
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

sur+rifle

Thank you to all the shooters and the instructors for making this such a great event!  All told we had 22 shooters on the line with three shooting to rifleman standards and three more knocking on the door with 185+ scores. 

In addition to what was already mentioned above, I wanted to share another positive outcome. One of the shooters (who was sooooo close to earning his rifleman patch) is very active in youth groups and is arranging for us to do some mini-Appleseeds.  He has already identified a range which is willing to host these.  We are targeting summer break time.   O0

hawkhavn

Old Glory,

Let me second that!  .5 did a great job, I cannot think of a better inspiration to our other junior shooters than seeing her on the line.  Just like I told the junior shooters at the safety briefing SAT morning, they would be treated as adults on the line.  .5 was held to no other standard than that of the other IITs.  She taught as one and participated as one, even during the SAT night debrief.

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com