News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

College Station DAR Inaugural Event, AAR March 21-22, 2009

Started by POP, March 23, 2009, 07:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POP

The Inaugural College Station, Texas Appleseed Event AAR

Thanks to Mr. Steve Struve.  O0  An Excellent facility for shooting events.  The 25 meter line must be 200 yards long (Scout will know).  And, the KD has capability out to 1,000 yards.  And, although we ran out of light Sunday afternoon at the 400 yd line, we did get to complete an AQT on the KD Range.   :~ :~ :~

OK, this first post will be short as I have a meeting tonight.  But, I promise Photos of the range, the course of instruction, the beautiful campground, and of the shooter with the distinction of being the first, let me say that again, the FIRST RIFLEMAN PRODUCT OF THE COLLEGE STATION DAR.

Those in attendance as shooters and as instructors were blessed beyond imagination. 

More Later ...

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

voortrekker

Quote from: Respiratory POP on March 23, 2009, 07:23:20 PM
The Inaugural College Station, Texas Appleseed Event AAR

Thanks to Mr. Steve Struve.  O0  An Excellent facility for shooting events.  The 25 meter line must be 200 yards long (Scout will know).  And, the KD has capability out to 1,000 yards.  And, although we ran out of light Sunday afternoon at the 400 yd line, we did get to complete an AQT on the KD Range.   :~ :~ :~

OK, this first post will be short as I have a meeting tonight.  But, I promise Photos of the range, the course of instruction, the beautiful campground, and of the shooter with the distinction of being the first, let me say that again, the FIRST RIFLEMAN PRODUCT OF THE COLLEGE STATION DAR.

Those in attendance as shooters and as instructors were blessed beyond imagination. 

More Later ...

POP

Geeze POP, leaving us hanging in anticipation here don't ya know!

"Those in attendance as shooters and as instructors were blessed beyond imagination. 

More Later ... "

KD range out to 1000 yards?  We are really cooking with oil!   I didn't know about this!!!!!

Right smack in the middle of Texas.  This is really, really good news!

I don't know for certain of all the RWVA instructors that attended, but I wish I could have been there with y'all.

Scout, Respiratory POP, Eleanor of AQT, Sim, Stimey the instructor schedule shows that y'all sign up for this event.  I want to say THANK YOU for stepping up to make the first College Station shoot a memorable event.

Looking forward to those pics POP.   :~   :~   :~   :~

brett out.
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

POP

Well, here ya go voortrekker.

I just cut down a bunch of pics.  will upload a few at a time over the next day or two.

Most important is our new Rifleman  O0 being congratulated by Scout, giving a speech, and then being flanked by instructors, and Steve Struve, sans POP the photographer.

The rest of the pics are self explanatory.  We had 10 shooters Saturday.  One returned for Sunday with one new shooter.  The instructors got to do a lot of shooting.

Gotta tell you the camping area is fantastic.  quiet, scenic, perfect.  Struve should have his wireless internet up and running before the April event.  Our laptops could see his network but, just couldn't access it. 

More Later.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

POP

More Pics.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

POP

More Pics

All the instructors enjoyed working with Roman.
Roman never gives up.
Here he inspects the Berm on the 25m Range.
Whenever an instructor asked the class what the third safety rule or third step was Roman knew the answer.
I think he will be instructing before too long.
Sim and Eleanor just gotta be proud of him.   O0
I've said before we need a "Junior Rifleman Patch" for the Romans of the Appleseed Project.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

POP

College Station DAR Campground.

Friday night it was just me and Mrs. POP., and of course our Lab and Cat.  Quiet, picturesque.  and a billion stars, I lost count.

Saturday night was different.  we were joined by Scout. 

Steve Struve joined us for a little Appleseed conversation.

The camping area overlooks what appears to be about an 8 acre lake.  Very scenic, peaceful, and, did I mention starry.  Great sleeping. 

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

natlmatch

After my failed attempt to get an Appleseed at the Madisonville Gun and Archery Club, I was exhilarated to see a new Appleseed pop up so close to home. BIG, BIG Thanks to property owner Steve. Sir, you have created a first class shooting range, I can't say enough good things about it, simply awesome. Also, thanks to all the instructors especially, Head Instructor Scout, Instructors Steve Jr. and "Eleanor". Finally, thanks to young Roman for bailing us "older kids" out whenever we couldn't properly repeat The Safety or Shooting Protocols when commanded by Scout. Scout would point to the youngster who, would then recite them without hesitation, truly amazing(WTG Mom and Dad). If I ever have a child, I want one just like Roman!

See you all for the April 19th Celebration.

Regards,

Natlmatch

POP

natlmatch,

You are absolutely correct in saying "Sir, you have created a first class shooting range, I can't say enough good things about it, simply awesome."

You would have really been impressed with the KD Range.  Tell you a little story from the eyes of 8 yr old Roman.  On one of the trips back to the target line Roman hopped out of Struve's p/u and onto my shoulders.  We went over to my target.  I was feeling really good having scored points with all 10 at the 300 yd line.  So, I told Roman "pretty good, huh?"  Roman's comment that since these silhouettes were so much bigger than the one he was shooting at on the 25 m line that I should have hit the 'V' every time.  Ah, the eyes of a Junior Rifleman.

We'll be looking for you on the Appleseed Trail natlmatch.  Thank you for contributing to the success this weekend.

POP

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

natlmatch

POP...my apologies, I forgot to thank you as well for helping me get the butt of the rifle up higher in my shoulder, helped a ton with holding my NPOA...THANKS!!!!

NM

POP

The next group of pics is about a fellow named Darren, who is a friend of Steve Struve, owner of the range.  Among other things, Darren sells and fits the 'Sound Guard' brand of hearing protection.  So, Steve invited him out to set up a table with info and to sell a few.

Several of us did purchase a set including yours truly.  He starts by placing a small cotton tuft in your ear with a plastic pusher.  Then he injects some soft material into your canal and lets it become rubbery for about five / ten minutes.  You then put your regular ear protection back in and in a little while Darren is finished.  He uses a dremel tool to shave off the excess.

It took me a few minutes to get used to 'screwing' them into my ears.  It is really simple, though.  Insert and twist them as they seat in your ear.  Then it takes 10 seconds or so for them to fully seal.  I could stand 15 feet from Scout during an instruction period and could see his lips move and his arms and hands move.  Had I not heard him before I wouldn't have known what he was saying.  They are really good during a course of fire.  Yeah, I hear rifle fire as more a muffled sound like when you hit a pillow.  But, when I need to instruct down on the target line I simply remove (unscrew) one side and let it hang off my shoulder on the string.

The cost was $50 bucks which may seem like a lot.  BUT, I go through numbers of foam plugs because they get dirty fast, and  I already have broken two pairs of the earmuff type at $20 or $30 per pair.  The Sound Guard did not get dirty because I did not need to compress them to get them into my  ear.  The sound reduction seemed to be greater than with the foam.

On Sunday I got to shoot a lot.  I  used my new Sound Guards.  They fit into my ear easily, provided plenty of noise reduction, and unlike when I use the earmuffs, my rifle did not cause the fit to deteriorate when doing the turkey neck / cheek weld.

All in all I rate them an A+  O0  in fit, cost effectiveness, and in hearing protection.

And Darren is a cool guy, too.  Thanks Darren.  And, Thanks, Steve.
If you are interested in Sound Guard one of the pics has Darren's cell phone number.

See you on the trail.
POP

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

POP

Well, I noticed I put up two of the same pic.  And, you may not be able to read the number very well in the cut down pic.

Darren's number is 979-219-0286.

the other pic is a close up of the new ear protection after Darren has finished the injection.

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

Fred

We are still new enough in the DAR program that every new DAR is exciting, not the 'ho-hum' it is likely to become in future years.

But I understand this one was built from scratch?

What a great way to step up to do a little country-saving!

Thanks!

PS: Now, how do we set Texas aflame from end to end?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Thanks to all who spearheaded the effort to get this DAR online!   O0

I look forward to participating at College Station Appleseeds in the near future.

Don't worry Scout - you'll still see me on the line in Davilla.  :~
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

BDG

good job there POP. I'm pretty jealous!  ;D

I guess we'll always have Corpus.....  :~  :~
Davilla Eleven-Oh-Eight!!