News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Canton, Georgia - 25m - AAR - May 14th

Started by Roswell, May 17, 2022, 06:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roswell

Wow! This was an interesting one to say the least. At Project Appleseed, we believe in the process of Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome (IAO). Well, Saturday definitely tested those limits. After arriving at the 100 yard range for setup of for a Rimfire Known Distance (RKD) event, I was told the unfortunate news that we couldn't use the 100 yard range that day.  :sos:

The range was extremely apologetic and offered to open up the classroom and 25m range for us. So… after conferring with my fellow Instructors the Shoot Boss called an audible. We packed up and raced across the street and setup in the classroom there and the 25m range.

Mechanic said it best, "I'm here for the shooters." I had shooters coming from as far as Connecticut, all very experienced Appleseeders, all expecting something special… two were scheduled for a Pistol clinic so, I wanted to tell them some different History (than I'd be telling them tomorrow). What to do…? I didn't have a 6 Steps chart, dummy rifle and didn't even have my whole target box. Then I remembered! I'm an unorganized packrat! Sometimes this gets me in trouble, but this time it was my salvation. Prior to the event, I had stashed a small stack of redcoats and AQTs under my seats… 2 YEARS AGO! I stashed them for a completely separate sold out event and left them for just in case. WE would have an event after all! Alleluia!  ^:)^

We proceeded with the normal morning briefing. Then I told the story of "Francis Marion, The Swamp Fox". Next, we went over Safety before heading out to retrieve rifles and headed to the range. Several Instructors took me up on my offer to shoot with the students and re-qualify if they had not done so recently.

Our first target of the day was the Redcoat. We quickly saw that we had some shooters amongst us! Huzzah to Yankee Davey and Axeman for clearing the target! :bow:

We then shot 3 rounds of sighter squares to make sure everyone was sighted in good for 25 meters. Then we jumped straight into our first AQT of the day and shot it from the ground up with stage 4 working up to 1.

By then it was already getting super hot and we had been going hard so, we moved inside to the A/C so my Instructors could score targets, the shooters could gulp water, and I could relate the story of "The Battle of Cowpens". Our first AQT saw several Re-qualifiers - Mechanic with 214! Glenn with a 220! Axeman with a 232! The highlight though was our Blue Hat .416 Rigby scoring a 221! AND taking an Orange Hat! Huzzah!  ..:..

We headed back out after getting refreshed. Then it was time for the AQT grind!  ~~:) Also, Mechanic had recently transitioned to Red Hat and never had a chance to get his old Orange Hat shot. So… we had to remedy that! (upacreek had first shot and took the button with one shot)

We finished off by hearing "The Tale of Ephraim Brank and the Battle of New Orleans". When all was told, we had MANY more re-qualifiers. I'm sure I missed some as there were so many, but here goes… Mechanic once again with 211! Axeman again with a different rifle 214 (I think?)! Daniel with 219 (I think?)! Glenn with 218 and 220 again! Yankee Davey with 238 again! And .416_Rigby with the monkey off his back shot 237 AND since he did it with Irons, he earned a Distinguished Patch!  ^:)^

BIG THANK YOU to my Instructors! And of course, the Shooters who made it worthwhile. And as always to Sheriff Frank Reynolds and the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office.
I hope to see each of you on the Trail soon!

In Liberty,
Roswell

(EDIT: Thank you to Overmountain for the pictures)
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23