News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur d'Alene, ID May 14, 2022 Appleseed Pistol Clinic AAR

Started by Mr. Clean, May 15, 2022, 09:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Clean

The Appleseed Pistol Clinic event was held on a dreary Saturday that was damp but not much rain. That didn't keep anyone away as all 12 participants of this sold out event showed up to learn the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship. 5 of the 12 that signed up are rifle instructors looking to pistol qualify, but when there was need for a little more help on the firing line, two of those instructors stepped up to volunteer their service. Thank you Mark and Tom.

It was a safe shoot among this group of 100% Appleseed rifle veterans already familiar with the level of safety expected at AS events. Almost all reported improvement, learning new skills and techniques. Congratulations to our two new Pistoleer™s Dane and Dom. As qualified Pistoleer™s, you two can choose to become instructors to help your fellow Americans become Pistoleer™s too. I commend you on the level of skill at arms you have achieved and encourage you to continue on this journey. Please consider returning at a future event to hone your skills and measure to compare with this weekend.

Lastly, as I mentioned to you in our time together, there is an election coming this Tuesday May 17th, An informed voter population taking care of which competent and honorable candidates represent their interests in government is how the founding fathers set up this country to function. An apathetic and ignorant voter population is how this country slides into disfunction. HOW you vote is not my business. THAT you vote is the business of every American. Please make informed choices and vote.

flexifoil21

Had a great time at the pistol shoot - thank you Mr. Clean and Snow Snake for the excellent instruction and for organizing the event. 

I really enjoyed P7's historical accounts and the black powder pistol demonstration - the highlight of the weekend.  I've had the privilege of hearing Prescott's history lessons (which are excellent), and P7's storytelling and walk thru history is of the same high caliber.  Not sure if P7 would be willing to do this, but I really wish there was a video of the session so I could watch it again.  I suspect other Appleseeders would benefit from that too.

P7

Thank you for the kind comments on the history presentation.  We had some debate amongst ourselves as to the best use of the time - it felt awkward not to talk the Three Strikes, but we felt like changing up to some pistol-related history would be appropriate for the pistol event, and had to make sure it fit in to the timeframe.  I'm really glad you felt it was worthwhile.

I do plan to do some more research and try to find some revolutionary-era pistol history if possible, as well as something related to the Colt Model 1873 SAA.  These presentations evolve over time, but I'm happy this early attempt went well.  :)

Speaking of history, I have to correct myself:  The Singer sewing machine company did not go on to make Norden bombsights after the 500-pistol educational contract on the 1911. They made ship- and land-based artillery fire direction systems.  Still precision instruments, but my memory of which specific ones was incorrect.

As instructors, we really appreciated the focus and professionalism of the shooters.  There was almost nothing all day that even approached an unsafe act.  Everyone was attentive and responsive, and generally moved quickly so we could move the event along.  It's a lot to accomplish in one day, and I know it was tiring.  The suggestion we received to spread out the PQT's is worth some discussion and consideration.   We don't have Sunday to do PQT's the way we do for a regular Appleseed.
Bradley "Brad" Foster (P7)

313-549-4956
bradley.foster@appleseedinfo.org

"The great object is that every man be armed."  - Patrick Henry

eert

Greetings and congratulations to the newest Pistoleer™s!  It was enjoyable to be a participant rather than an Instructor and way better than being a Shoot Boss. It's been many years since I pulled a live trigger at an AS event. If I can get my shoulder and nerve impingement back on track, I'd like to see how I fare in the not too distant future.

Even though I didn't qualify, I did get to score the qualifying targets of those that did. Huzzah!

Thanks to all those that traveled to our fine Fernan Rod and Gun Club.

Pat/eert

Ambi

I had a fantastic time at this event and am eager to start my way as an AS IIT. I would like to thank all the instructors on helping me on my way to become a qualified rifleman and now Pistoleer™a

300berg

That's awesome to hear, Greg2!  Thank you for taking the 7th step!

Snow Snake

THANK YOU.To everyone that was at Fernan for the Appleseed Pistol Clinic Saturday.
  FOR: Listening to the history,safety and instruction. Everyone was attentive,absorbed and progressed. It was as safe and professional as can be.I feel honored to know each of you.Appleseed can be as long and as productive a road as you chose.
I look forward to seeing each of you on the line again.
Thanks...Ken       :beer:
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great
"The other side of every fear is a freedom."- Ferguson
" Hey Mikey, I'm about to punch that time clock"-Lone Survivor

Wagon

It was a fantastic day!  Although I did not qualify (this time  ;) ) I have learnt a lot from the instructors and picked up valuable tips and tricks from fellow participants especially on shooting support hand.    As the matter of fact, I can see improvements just from running the drills.

Can't wait for the next event!

mikek

<deleted>