News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

El Paso, TX AAR April 23-24 2022

Started by Mrs. Smith, May 10, 2022, 11:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs. Smith

Time:  Patriots' Day Weekend
Place: The El Paso Community College Law Enforcement Training Academy

It's always a wonderful treat to welcome patriots, both new and returning, to this very nice facility to learn the art of American Riflery and to celebrate the sacrifices made by our predecessors on April 19, 1775.

After seeing the awesome cookies from the Hunstville, AL KD, I finagled a cookie cutter and attempted to copy them.  Good thing they TASTED ok  ;D

Michelle, Chris S., Mandy, Nate, Chris F, Andy, and Lucas all arrived on Saturday morning excited and ready to learn. 

A couple of the folks on the line were quite experienced, but happy to be open to the instruction. They both said they learned something new and useful.  :)

The Memorial Volley Saturday afternoon was solemn, but moving. The reading of the names was a rough thing for this Shoot Boss, but it always is, and I could see the students soaking it in.

Six Steps, dry fire, Volley, Three Strikes, and three shooting positions later, it was time to talk about Civic responsibility and the Seventh step.  The group went home tired, but satisfied at their progress for the day.

Sunday morning, bright and early, everyone came back sore and achy, but ready to go. We took care of Safety and headed back to the range for the first Redcoat of the day.  Progress!  We do love progress  ;)

We reviewed positions, practiced transitions dry, and then got to business.  It was so good to see the folks learning and implementing the material.  We took the occasional break for a Dangerous Old Man or Dangerous Dame, then jumped back in.

Young Lucas was really improving with the help of Carlos!

More line pics...

Andy, steady as a rock

Michelle!

Nate!

Alas, the day was coming to an end.

Andy and Chris S both came within 15 points of Rifleman, and good progress was made by all.  The students were tired, but happy.

Our youngest Patriot, Lucas, with his patch and Certificate.  Come back again, young man! 

Our Most Improved for the weekend was Chris S, showing a 65 point increase in score over 4 AQTs.

His lovely bride Michelle was also at the Alamogordo Ladyseed in March. This being her second event, she elected to accept the Blue hat of an AppleCore volunteer. Huzzah, Michelle!  As soon as she decides on a Forum name, we'll make it official  :cool2: That's a big decision!

Our deepest gratitude to the EPCC Law Enforcement Training Academy and its Director, Barry Bogle, for being the most generous hosts we could ever hope for.

And my personal thanks to my team, Carlos, Young Patriot, LoanerRifle, and Beavertail.  I couldn't do any of this without you, and you always make me look good.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Beavertail

It is always nice to see shooters who are new to Project Appleseed, and of course those who are returning after being away for a long time.  They light up at their progress or say they are going to sit one out, but keep preparing magazines to jump right in when shooters are called to the line.   Unfortunately, I had miss the first day.  It was clearly an eager group on Sunday.
"Too many people learn about war with no inconvenience to themselves. They read about [it] sitting in a comfortable armchair, with their feet beside the fire.  One should read about war in the worst circumstances, when everything is going badly." - Guy Sajer

scuzzy

Thanks for putting on yet another good shoot. And AC to boot. El Paso is really nice come summertime. lol - they are calling for 102 degrees at my next shoot. Sheesh. Hope they're wrong as usual.

I'd never seen those cookies before. Nice.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.