News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Annapolis, MD AAR - April 23-24,2022 Appleseed

Started by Agent711, April 25, 2022, 11:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent711

A fantastic Patriot's Day weekend was had by all. Eighteen shooters arrived Saturday morning to the sounds of fife and drums playing in the background. While in period dress, volunteers checked our participants in. After delivering our range safety briefs and covering line commands, shooters were assigned to one of two relays. Our first target was the Red Coat target. And I am proud to announce that James S., Patrick M. and Matt G. cleared the target, earning Maryland's Immortal 400 patch.

Rifles were sighted in and ample time spent on practicing the 6 steps of firing a shot, Lunch came fast and shooters were treated with the telling of the first strike accompanied by sound effects.

Once shooters were comfortable with each of the positions and transitions, it was time for our first AQT. I knew a few would score Rifleman since we had some veteran Appleseeders attending.  I was impressed and proud to report that more than a few shot a Rifleman score right out of the gate.

Andy W. (221)
Matt G. (240 Distinguished optics)
Paul G. (217)
Jim B. (225)
Joe H. (228)
John M. (236)
Bill K. (228)
James L. (232)
James E. (230)
John G. (219)

I continued to be impressed by this entire group of shooters. In the morning, four were able to hit Morgan's shingle. We wrapped up the day with 13 shooters hitting the shingle and 12 proved to be effective to over 300 yards.

Shooters returned Sunday anxious to get started. Following a Red Coat target and sighting in a few new rifles, shooters were itching to get back to AQTs and earning that special Patriot's Day Rifleman patch. Many of our shooters recognized that becoming a Rifleman is a journey and all showed that they know what they are about. We saw consistent improvement as the day went. I truly cannot say enough great things about this group. Everyone was safety vigilant, supportive of each other and pushed each other to their fullest.

At the end of several AQTs I am very happy to announce the following shooters achieved Rifleman on Sunday:

Andy W. (219, 231, 235)
Patrick M. (213, 222)
Paul G. (219, 228, 238)
Bill K. (214, 241 Distinguished Optics, 242 Distinguished Optics)
Jim B (221, 221, 223)
James E. (225)
Matt G (237, 239)
James L. (214, 221)
James E. (227, 236)
John M. (230)
John G. (215)

Instructors requalified:
Pat K. (245 Distinguished Optics)
Scott R. (227)
Jim T.

It took everything I had not to choke up as we remembered the Patriots that gave their lives for liberty. Thank you for helping us recognize their sacrifices!

More shooters cleared the last Red Coat target of the weekend. Many came very close. Congratulations to the following shooter who earned Maryland's Immortal 400 patch:

James S.
Pat M.
Matt G.
John M.
James L.
James E.
Andy W.
Michael G.

To my youth shooters Jake, Nick, James and Shane - You stuck in there and I am certain have made William Diamond proud. Shane was designated our sniper of the day where he remained in the prone position and managed to pull off a 216 on his AQT.

Every shooter gave it their all. I would bet the house that we will see each of you obtain a Rifleman score soon. I encourage everyone to practice dry firing as we discussed and come back soon.

And of course this weekend was such a success because of the brilliant team of volunteers. Liberty Boy gave us a feeling of being back in the 18th century sporting his period dress and providing sound effects during the history presentations. Lycos continued to show his dedication presenting IMCs, the 6 steps to firing a shot, and was joined by Off Paper on Sunday providing RSO duties and coaching shooters on the line. BeSwift provided a level of mentoring and instruction expected of a Senior Instructor. And Catch-10-22 exceed all standards. Thanks for providing loaner rifles, coaching shooters and mentoring instructors. 

Lastly, thanks again to our host range, Anne Arundel Fish and Game for allowing us to use your excellent facilities.

Please join me in thanking all of our shooters for coming out for Liberty.
Huzzah!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!

Check out more pics on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Project-Appleseed-Maryland-264406060313831

Agent711

Pics from Saturday.

Namrog

I wanted to again give a big thanks to all the Maryland Appleseed instructors. This two day Patriot's Day event was great from start to finish. The Patriot's Day Volley at the end in remembrance of those that died was very special. Huzzah to all and looking forward to the next event.

Paul G.