News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

GRANDFIELD OKLAHOMA .....BADLANDS

Started by oldgrunt, March 16, 2009, 04:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgrunt

To start off with the weather was great cool at the start then there was a need for sunblock...lol I enjoyed the shooters that came out .We had 7 or 8 that made the drive in ther rain that night .Most of the shooters camped out for the Appleseed event on site.It was a great location for camping a pond with a boat .lol ,cowboy shooting range all the thing that tells you this is a active place.After the 2am rollin was over everyone shook hands told stories then passed out...It rained most of the night ..lol And even with the heavy rain you could still hear lots of snoring ...

And for you that have been to a event that I'm at you know the drill .....I love to be the first guy up as you all know ..lol hint hint ...So once the sleep was rubbed away and the coffee made we made our way to the range....
After a little drive down the muddy road we found Hott Brass and the elder of the alarm list DAD.They greated us with the safety rules and sent us to the line with all our gear in tow.Out of all the shooter only one had been to a Appleseed ..With that being said it wasnt much after the dreaded 1 inche sqaures were they all wanting to go over IMC ? Outsanding so we lit the fires and drove on passed lunch.There were many before lunch showin improvement long before the first AQT .Seems the brightest was a school teacher that came with her husband .They were side by side the whole time and she did everything to the letter.Not once did she not follow the comands given to her.....She took one task then the next and kept shooting well.All of the rifles this first day were 22lr and most did well but like any Appleseed they did have issuses and like any good shoot boss DAD had a few on hand to loan out so the shooters could enjoy the time with the AQT other than fighting that rifle they brought... Shortly after the lunch break and a few good stories we had a Man "That knew what He was all about "And with his bag of tricks and a ar converted to 22lr he smoked the AQT ...Yep One more to add to the roles..Mark is a active duty combat vet that will be joining in on the bailing .Seems he loves they way we get things done around here..So he joined in on helping out with others and the issuses that popped up with the 22lr .Thanks mark you were great...

Wasn't too much longer after that we had a few more just knockin at the door 198and 208 and we let them shoot till they wanted to stop.....But it had to come to a end sometime so I looked at DAD and he said they need to go and rest and try to relax ..lol these were some driven folks just begging to go the full distance..lol I myself was just clawin in my skin to see those target at 300 out to a 1000 just behind the 25 meter AQT line.... So we ended the day and went back to camp...

If you never been to Badlands you are missing out on a great place to camp and hangout at..A few of the guys came up with a john boat and they went for a tour of the pond /lake.....I myself was wornout so I turned in early...The shooters sat around like most do at these events and told stories and laughed and shared food and drink .I think it was a good time had by all....

Then the next day started with me waking everyone up ...Oh dark 30 ....I had to laugh It was soooo cold getting up and when I did I seen one of the shooters had toted a power source of some make and low and be hold he had a electric blanket plugged into to his pup tent..lol at least he was warm and fuzzy we all were cold lol....That didnt last long the sun was on the rise and the temps were climbing ..We all packed up and got to the range . Like any second day of the Appleseed the shooters were on fire to shoot more red coats and IMC drills and all the other but before lunch we had one more shooter make riflemen ..Good job henchsmen you did what you said you were going to do..I will be sending you a hat soon as once? the shippment gets to us..lol

Now for the fun stuff ...DAD and Hott brass ran down to the line in the pickup and made a set of targets for us to do some KD work.....I stood back at the line with the shooters and we went over IMC and the cone of the IMC theory and talked about what we were going to do...Everyone had a rifle to shoot so they wanted to get the rifles out and show each other what they had....I had to clear the line then it was Adult show and tell..Boy oh boy  that was fun classes on each one and then we started up with the KD shooting once we did the homework and put what we learned to the test it was time to switch things up  lol...SSSSSOOOOO we said okay now can we all trade rifles and shoot at the steel now????Well DAD said let me show you this old broom stick of a rifle ..1903a3 lol And each of us got to clang the 1000 and the 800 in the prone if we wanted too....Thanks DAD it was fun...After hours of shooting that afternoon I think everyone had a chance to burn up 200 rounds each before we stopped for the day..So the Show and tell part of the KD was a big hit with all from 1903's to sks and about everything in middle we shot them ..lol I myself enjoyed getting to shoot my rifle at a 1000 ..Being a IIT we dont get to play so I was ready to shoot something on this range ..

All in all this shoot was a great time and we came away with alot of good shooters...We only had 2 make riflemen And alot kicking on the door..So for the ones that just need one more AQT .....just one more Plzzzzzz ..lol Come on back in April we should have alot of fun the weather will be warmer and its going to be one more time at the 1000 yard range ..Bring more Ammo guys lots more lol....

I will post pics later of all the fun we had ..But I just needed to say something my phone had a few calls already today wanting to know if we were holding any more in Oklahoma..Adn yes were are so go look at the list of events and pick one .....I will be there And so should you....okay thats it I will post later in my secection on this forum ....Thanks fred it was a good time once again ...

Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

henschman

wow... what a great time!  I couldn't think of a better way to spend the first weekend of spring break than 2 nights camping and 2 days shooting with my 3 buddies and all the other good folks that came out.  I camped out with my buddies Matt, CJ, and Neil, as well as Oldgrunt and his little protege Caleb.  We had an awesome time hanging out at camp, eating meat on the fire, and just shooting the breeze.  My buddy that oldgrunt referred to as Mark is really named Matt (its OK, i suck with names too), and he really knows how to camp!  he was the man with all the gear, including that little generator, which came in pretty handy.  Matt was a big help through the whole event... you could say he was the life of the party.  The shooting went really well... we didn't have anybody that was totally off paper or anything, so we were able to get right down to the nitty gritty.  Everybody on the line improved their shooting quite a bit over the event.  Neil and CJ were both so close to scoring rifleman!  don't worry, we'll get them their patches soon.  Also, the instructor/IITs deserve a huge thanks.  You guys were great.  Sorry I'm so terrible at following safety procedures... I think it took a little restraint from yall to keep from kicking me in the ribs the 5th or 6th time i left my mag in the rifle when the line was supposed to be clear.  Needless to say, I'm pretty bad about following instructions.  man, you guys weren't kidding about the women being better learners either...  that schoolteacher on the line really had her stuff together!  I'll have to bring my GF out to one of these events and see how she does. 

So only Matt and I scored Rifleman, but there were several others that were close.  Neil and CJ both came extremely close several times... if they'd just had a little more time to work out the things they were doing wrong, they would have made it no problem.  David, the teacher's husband, was shooting some really nice groups that would have earned him a patch, but he had a little sighting issue.  I guess his AR's sights were adjusted all the way up but his groups were still a little below the target... apparently he needs a little taller front sight post.  If some of his groups were about an inch/inch and a half higher, he would have smoked those AQTs.  He was shooting some of the tightest groups of anybody there from prone.  Like oldgrunt said, Matt shot rifleman right off the bat on the first day.  I had a little bit of a bad shooting day on the first, but I worked out my issues and shot Rifleman on the Qualification AQT on the next. 

I've never had the chance to shoot on a nice long-distance range like this one, so the known distance shooting was a blast for me!  Nailing that silhouette at 800 yards gives you a nice happy feeling inside!  hehe.  I'm glad we got to trade out rifles a little, too... shooting DAD's springfield and Oldgrunt's FAL was pretty sweet.  I'm glad I got both my scope and my iron sights dialed in on a real range on the LR308.  now I know that thing's ready to pick up and go if i need it. 

anyway, needless to say, i'm looking forward to attending more events and getting more involved in the organization.  hopefully my buddies are, too.  So thanks to everybody that made this happen, and see you next time! 

"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

scuzzy

Quote from: oldgrunt on March 16, 2009, 04:48:43 PM
   And for you that have been to a event that I'm at you know the drill .....I love to be the first guy up as you all know ..lol

Yeah, I know the drill. Too bad I can't repeat some of your more colorful wakeup calls here on the forum. heh. ...... and off your cots.

And hey henschman, did you get to meet oldgrunts friend Teddy?

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

henschman

no, i didn't meet teddy, but i read about him in the davilla AAR thread. 

so oldgrunt has some more of those highly creative wakeup calls up his sleeve?  I just heard one.  lol.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

oldgrunt

Teddy was present but he was tasked to protect  the Airmatress and DVD player from trolls..Hard job but He did it....As for first call ..lol I will refrain from public veiw..I will share that on a boot camp level ..lol   ....GOOD MORNING APPLESEEDERSSSSS ITS TIME TO MAN THE COFFEE POTS AND GRILLSSSSS.......I HAVE ANOTHER ONE FOR RIFLEMAN heheh I'll save that one For the   2/09 bunch .......
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE