News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Mud Bowl 03-09 AKA Toccoa Mar 14-15

Started by Flathead, March 16, 2009, 08:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flathead

What a wonderful bunch of Americans showed up this week end!  We had 50 shooters on the 2 lines early Saturday, when the weather could have not been much worse. Cold and plenty of rain, temps made it into the lower 40"s. As the day went by we lost a few due to the weather and I was surprised to see how many stuck it out. By lunch time Boltgun71 (who committed to helping at the last minute) was having trouble putting earplugs back in. My fingers were so cold that I had a hard time starting my truck to warm up!  Buzzstrike"s wife brought lunch for his group and even made lunch for the 3 instructors on my line.She was a great help all week end running logistical support for us! We had a few shooters get close to rifleman scores on Saturday but not quite there. Son of Martha's history talk was one of the best that I have heard. The way he wrapped up the 3 strikes on Saturday afternoon was amazing.  I think everyone really took to heart what they heard explained to them the way only he can. 
19 shooters on Sunday, we lost a few more of 2 day shooters. The rain stopped in time to start shooting. The mud was terrible, the shooting line was flooded just before 8a.m. and did not have water standing on it by 10:30 but just barely. 3 new riflemen Justin, James, and George.
The best part for me was when coaching Dave, and watching his reaction when he finally got the" holding the trigger back until on target again" and seeing the targets as he walked down range. Thanks to the instructor's that made it there. And thank you shooters that made this another week end and Apple seed to remember.

Appalacious

Man, talk about mud bowl II.  This was mud bowl's revenge.  SoM said there was no whining on saturday, good thing he wasn't in earshot of me.  I confess to whining way too much in that cold rain.  I didn't know I had it in me.
The campfire was sparse but talkative still.  sleeping in that tent with all the rain was louder than I thought, but at least I was dry.
Buzz's wife made me take a sandwich, too, so i was well-fed.  Really didn't have much to complain about.

As usual, I still manage to feel like it was worthwhile.  Possibly because i finally got RIFLEMAN.
I guess now "I know everything but the history already".  Right?  Good thing my dad didn't sight in my gun for me. </inside jokes>

Thanks again to all the instructors.  Toccoa will miss you, Thor.  Have fun up north.
Condescension is a GOOD thing.

disneyd

Just wanted to say I had a great time on Saturday. I mean I really enjoyed it in spite of the weather.

I managed a 203 at the end of the day Saturday and really wanted to try for rifleman on Sunday, but on looking at the radar Sunday morning I'll have to admit that I wussed out and headed back to Knoxville.

Son of Martha's history talks were great! I forgot how interesting the history is. I'm ordering the Paul Revere book now...

The guy I drug down there with me is coming back and I have another friend who wants to join us. We'll be back.

(BTW, I was the guy in the blue frog-tog rain suit)

TAZDevil

Toccoa is a great site for AS's, ideal for splitting off shooters who are progressing rapidly to a second range.

I am increasingly impressed by the persistence of some of my fellow citizens.  Whenever I start to think that all is lost here in the US I'll think of the students persisting in the cold rain and mud.  Actually, the only students that I saw who dropped out were in the early stages of hypothermia and I would have soon asked them to leave anyway.

Congratulations Appalacious!  Hope to see you on the trail instructing.

Sorry that I couldn't stay both days.
TAZ
"An Englishman's home is his castle" Jason Russell

"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it."  John Adams

dwarven1

Well, as my mil friends say, "If it ain't raining, we ain't training!" Glad to hear that y'all persisted. Even in nasty weather. (Sure wish it'd been that warm in Athol, though... 44 degrees?? ;) )
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

wicked-fast

It was a mess. I dont know about mud bowl but I learned a lot of good tools. My brother would have been at day two but he could not make it and i really appreciate that you allowed my Dad to fill in his place. My dad now has changed his whole outlook on a lot of things from that one day in the mud. Thanks guys especially Son of Martha.
I pray every day for God to make my aim true and my shot justified but that i will never have to use it. Criminal or not everyones life is valuable. Everyone has a choice.  www.carolinashootersfurum.com

Old Dog

SoM has a way of getting your attention.  Something about the eyes looking right through you when he asks those questions. 
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

cannonman61

Thanks to all for your work at the Taccoa shoot.

I had a friend drive up from Hinesville just for Sunday. He brought his eldest son, Gabe and had a fantastic time.

Mario had nothing but praise for the instructors and their expert instruction. His son, who up until that day had had seriously little trigger time, scored progressively higher all day. 106, 121, 156, 177. Nice, consistent improvement.

Congrats to Mario for making the effort to get his son to an Appleseed and kudos to the instructor team for working so well with Gabe on a messy weekend.

CM
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Momma

This was my first Appleseed.  Buzz has been there for several.  After much coercion, I decided to go.  I just couldn't believe what I saw.  There were so many people, in the cold, in the rain, in the mud.  Even as the weather went from bad to worse (instead of sprinkles...we had outright rain), these men and women perservered.  I've never cleaned up so much mud in my life!  I want to say thank you to Flathead for making me feel welcome.  I was put right to work, and anyone who knows me, knows that I love a challenge.  Thank you.  I felt like one of the team.  I also want to let any of you who travel to the Toccoa shoots in the future that the people at Country Hearth Inn are FANTASTIC.  Upon arrival I was given access to the laundry facilities, the oven, extra towels, anything they had was at my disposal.  They are very sympathetic to our cause.  I have worked out an agreement for discounted rooms in the future and they are willing to put out flyers in the lobby (please, someone get on this...or let me know who to contact and I'll do it...getting the word out).  I am looking forward to the one in June and taking care of my guys.

Buzzstrike

I am still digging mud out of palaces I didn't know I had.  (In my rifle folks ^-^). 

This weekend was a test of men, women and equipment.  It was a rough weekend, but it is times like these only make us stonger.

I would like to thank the whole instructor corps for turning out and being there to guide the shoot. 

I would also like to thank my wife Yvette(Momma is her new handle for the fourms) she thought I was nuts for doing this, in the cold, rain and mud. 

I wish I could find the reason why I can't seem to break the 190's on my AQT's.   It's starting to give me a complex !@#).

Yvette took a bunch of pics on Sat, and a few on Sunday. We will try to get a few up in the next day or so.  Please be patient.

Buzz.
Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers Are Always Free)

guitarzan

This was my first Appleseed.  There is nothing like mud and rain for a fun weekend of shooting.

The training was excellent.  I learned a lot and I learned that I have a lot more work adn study to do.  This won't be my
last Appleseed.  My goal is to become a rifleman.  I'm ordering my copy of Fred's Guide and targets tonight.

Next time, I hope to shoot as well as my Garand did.  Thanks to all who gave there time to teach us. 
"She is a pretty good gun, I think."
                         John C. Garand

Son of Martha

A great weekend in the mountains.  Gratified by the stick-to-it-ness (is that a word?  It is now...) of those present.  There's just so many visual snapshots in my head, my friends and neighbors soaking wet and shivering with breath vapor streaming away with the breeze. Oil-sheened puddles of rain being dumped off mats.  That semi-transparent look the squares target sheet gets when it's soaked.  A carpet of centerfire brass visibly steaming from the rain.  Muzzle blasts.  Muddy boots.  Concentration in spite of it all.

Folks who just wouldn't quit.

Without your presence and teachability, we would have wasted our time.  Thank you for making the weekend a success in spite of it all.  Looking forward to the next time.  In the meantime, don't put your rifle in the closet--dry firing is wonderful practice, and an excellent opportunity to snap-in those positions.  30 minutes to an hour a week of this, and the next Appleseed will be a BREEZE.  No soreness or stiffness, able to build a steady position as quick as a thought, and that front sight plants right where you need it.  Resolve any equipment problems that were uncovered this time so next time there is nothing to do but shoot. Buy a book about April 19.  Two good ones are:

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Reveres-David-Hackett-Fischer/dp/0195098315/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237249591&sr=1-1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Day-American-Revolution-Began-April/dp/0380796058

Tell a kid the story, or a grownup who has forgotten.

See ya on the Trail.

SoM

Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

History²

These are the times that try men's souls....This appleseed was trying  to say the least.Mud,cold,plenty of rain and more mud   if your equipment didn't fail there it won't let you down anywhere,this was a great shakedown of equipment and perseverance of all in attendance.I recall standing there and shaking my head in amazement that these people were out here in these conditions and happy to be here doing what they enjoyed doing with people they felt in touch with.The training was excellent as usual,the story's thought provoking,really i didn't care what the weather was doing as long as I was there with all of you. Appleseed gives me renewed faith in my fellow man even in these dark times.I wish to thank all of the people that work to put these events on in particular the instructors who had done all they can to improve my skills,I feel obligated to each of you to make rifleman next time.. :-\  my scores do not reflect the quality of the instructors or the weather, more practice that's the key. :)   To all that were there this weekend wasn't that the best hot shower you ever had when you got home or what. :))
"If enough people get on THE LIST, it'll be a phone book"-SoM               "Don't matter whatcha got in your hands, the weapon is between your ears."-SoM

eaglescouter

Is the concept of an 'easy up canopy' unknown in Toccoa?
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

colycat

I hear you all on this post, Knob Creek was the same.  I had to buy different ear plugs at the store at lunch, because my fingers did not work anymore. (got the stiff rubber, plastic ones) The true Americans still are out there, as the 2 shoots proved.  I don't think anyone left Knob Creek, and most came back for day 2.  Huzzah.

Great job to all :~ :~ :~ :~

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

History²

Easy up canopy  that's funny, it would have sunk in the mud and those metal roof supports would have hurt when going prone. I have to say the guys that had the coleman heater at lunch must have been boy scouts,they came prepared.  O0
"If enough people get on THE LIST, it'll be a phone book"-SoM               "Don't matter whatcha got in your hands, the weapon is between your ears."-SoM

Thor

To every one of the attendees who persisted through the rain, wind, cold and mud, I salute every one of you.  It would have been very, very easy to stay on the couch this weekend, but you didn't back out or back down when a little adversity presented itself.  Thank you all for bringing such positive, teachable attitudes and for your considerable efforts to improve as marksmen and Americans.  It is folks like you that make being an Appleseed Instructor so personally rewarding.

Special thanks to Buzz and family for all the help with setting up and most especially Momma for the lunch on Saturday. 

Congratulations to the new Riflemen and all those who showed such great improvement.  Hope to see you all out on the trail in the future.

Thor
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom... Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."--Samuel Adams

Barry-WV

This was my first Appleseed and I really enjoyed it.
This was also my first formal marksmanship training and I want to thank all the instructors, they are all great.  SoM has a real gift for taking people back to 1775, it was powerful to hear him speak.
I was able to shoot 143 by the end of the weekend which I feel good about.  I hope to attend another Appleseed and improve further.  I also enjoyed just being among the kind of quality people who were there.

dwarven1

Buzzstrike, can you see the targets clearly? A change to optical sights (a scope) was what it took for me to break through. Funny, but it's easier to hit the target if you can SEE it!

Guitarzan (and yes, I know where that handle comes from!), you're setting your sights too low. Your goal should be Rifleman and then INSTRUCTOR. Remember, we're training the trainers here - we can't grow without a continual influx of instructors. So get that patch... and then volunteer for an orange hat. You think shooting an AS is fun? Man, you don't know what fun is until you see the look on a shooter's face when he realizes that he has HIT that magic score... and you realize that YOUR INSTRUCTION helped him do it. What a rush!

History, you may want to look at the AAR for the Athol, MA shoot. We weren't going to have a shoot in Massachusetts in the dead of winter - we were going to wait for Patriot's Day and the spring thaw - but the lunatics on NortheastShooters clamored for a winter shoot. So we gave it to them... and watched these 18 men and boys eagerly setting up shooting mats, tarps and CARDBOARD so that they could lie in a foot and a half of snow and learn to shoot better. Appleseed is truly striking a responsive chord in the souls of Americans. I'm proud to be a part of this - we have some great men, women and youngsters in this program.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Buzzstrike

Ok folks as I said earlier.  We have some pics.

These were taken by Momma (my wife) on Sat. and maybe a few on Sun.

I'm just going to post up a few and try to make a link to the photo server to see the rest.

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k68/lshushokjr/Tocca%203-14-09/

Hope this works.

buzz.
Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers Are Always Free)

Flathead

I am still amazed by the grit these shooters displayed in spite of the conditions. The pictures are of the line that actually had grass on it! The other line was much worse. Then by Sunday the target line was like the pit in Colonial Williamsburg where bricks are made.
I'm glad we had as many show up as we did. Lets keep growing this shoot. The next one will be in June so it should not be quite as cold :)

Momma

I know Buzz, Brian, John and I will be there.  This time I'm cooking real food.  There are about four guys from work who are interested and I'm working on the gals.

dumasmud

Thank you to all the instructors who stood out in the cold and rain to teach us some important skills and even more important history.
This was our (me and my son) first Appleseed but it won't be the last!  Our goal is to make Rifleman and I know that with the knowledge we gained from the fine instruction received at the Appleseed, we will do it.
Just seeing all the people who stuck it out all day Saturday and then came back on Sunday looking at more of the same, renews my faith in the American Spirit. 
Hope to see you all at the next one.
Regards,
D_A_Mud
P.S. I was the guy with the little Coleman campstove heater.  I just bought another for backup on eBay!
"Life is tough. Life is tougher when you're stupid."
-John Wayne

guitarzan

Thanks for the encouragement.  I picked up a 10/22 today and ordered the Tech sights for it and ordered Fred's book and targets.  It's almost  been a week since the mud bowl in Toccoa and I've had time to think and get the mud of my ears.  Becoming an Instructor is my goal.  See all ya'll at the next Appleseed in Toccoa.

Quote from: dwarven1 on March 17, 2009, 05:45:04 PM
Buzzstrike, can you see the targets clearly? A change to optical sights (a scope) was what it took for me to break through. Funny, but it's easier to hit the target if you can SEE it!

Guitarzan (and yes, I know where that handle comes from!), you're setting your sights too low. Your goal should be Rifleman and then INSTRUCTOR. Remember, we're training the trainers here - we can't grow without a continual influx of instructors. So get that patch... and then volunteer for an orange hat. You think shooting an AS is fun? Man, you don't know what fun is until you see the look on a shooter's face when he realizes that he has HIT that magic score... and you realize that YOUR INSTRUCTION helped him do it. What a rush!

History, you may want to look at the AAR for the Athol, MA shoot. We weren't going to have a shoot in Massachusetts in the dead of winter - we were going to wait for Patriot's Day and the spring thaw - but the lunatics on NortheastShooters clamored for a winter shoot. So we gave it to them... and watched these 18 men and boys eagerly setting up shooting mats, tarps and CARDBOARD so that they could lie in a foot and a half of snow and learn to shoot better. Appleseed is truly striking a responsive chord in the souls of Americans. I'm proud to be a part of this - we have some great men, women and youngsters in this program.

"She is a pretty good gun, I think."
                         John C. Garand

Hello all!

Finally got registered on the forum.  This appleseed was my first.  I was the guy of the top firing line with the SKS.

I had to bail on the Saturday night, because it rained so much that my tent started leaking...that was a little beyond my tolerance.  Next time, I plan on camping in the truck.  I'm not letting the weather run me off again!

I just shot a one day at Birmingham for July 4th.  Still didn't make Rifleman, but I did improve my score, and made progress with more consistent grouping.  Will be coming back soon!