News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Monroe WA Mar. 7- 8 , 2009

Started by Wheeler44, March 10, 2009, 02:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheeler44

If there isn't an AAR it didn't really happen... <:)
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

STRAT

No time for photos but the images will never be forgotten by those who attended. O0

Special thanks to Atticus for traveling so far and sacrificing his time.

Job well done for Earl suave steering the lunch conversation back on AS history  and mission.

The weather was far from Ideal, snow rain wind cold temps and muddy march to the targets and back but a fine and pleasant experience just the same.

artandscience has the official numbers but I believe five more riflemen were made.

As has been my experience with all field shoots over the years battle proven rifles still fail and this shoot was no exception, several rifles major malfunctioned, many generous shooter loaned rifles and ammo but not enough to cover all the platform failures.

My Colt A2 sear pin came out just far enough to keep the hammer from resetting, maybe those pin retaining add ons are a good idea after all.

Thanks to those that made the effort to show up and shoot, a very good time shooting, we had about a 50% attrition rate from Saturday to Sunday but a few walk ons helped the numbers, it was great to meet them.

This ofcourse was the first official voyage of SNODAR , Snohomish County dedicated rifle range.

Looking forward to the next AppleSeed.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
— Thomas Paine, Thoughts on Defensive War (1775).
location  SNODAR   Snohomish County WA state

TheUpsetter

SNODAR, huh?  That, hands down, is the best name for an Appleseed DAR in the entire free world.

I was at the shoot Saturday to help out, and was super glad to be able to climb out from under a mountain of work to be there at all.  This was the first shoot at STRAT's range, and I have to hand it to the man, he did an amazing job setting the place up.  He single handedly built a roof for the shooting line, provided all of us with a nice heated shop for history lessons, and in general, was a fantastic host.  Thank you STRAT!

A big thanks also to artandscience for making this event happen.  I'm hoping he earned his Green Hat this weekend, he sure deserves it. 

Atticus came down from Mt Olympus, or wherever it is that the Appleseed God's are from, to make sure the first shoot at SNODAR went off without a hitch.  It was a blessing to have his experience and knowledge on the line.  Thank you Atticus!

Saturday started off cold, and gray, and muddy.  Perfect if you ask me.  Then about 2:30 in the afternoon the snow came and piled up fast, so I had to hit the road for  2 hour drive home.  The morning weny quite smoothly, with 13 shooters on the line.  I think there were 2 M14's, 4 .223's and a handful of asssorted .22's.  We had at least one guy who was very new to shooting who did very well, and several experienced shooters who learned a lot as well.  We shot the first AQT about 2:30 in the afternoon and ended up with 2 Rifleman right off the bat.  Nice work Bob and Tyson.  Huzzah!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!

Artandscience, Earl, and Atticus told all three strikes throughout the day, and several shooters mentioned to me how appreciative they were to hear the history.  This is what Appleseed is about after all.  We are an American heritage organization that just so happens to teach a top notch marksmanship course. 

Atticus had all of the instructors rotate calling the line, teaching skills, RSOing, and instructing, so artandscience, Fredness, Earl, RL, Meantree, and myself got a chance to do it all.

I had a great time and really appreciate guys like M14 John and Dan coming out to give the younger guys a run for their money.  Now, all we need to do is figure out some clever plan to get at least 1 female and perhaps a few kiddies out there for the next shoot. 

The weather was kind of crappy, but honestly, with STRAT's set up you didn't really notice it. 

A big thanks to all the attendees.  Without you, Appleseed is just a bunch of instructor's who give up their time to stand on a firing line without actually getting to shoot. 

Nice work NW WA!

_TheUpsetter   

"When matters are done leisurely, seven out of ten of them will turn out badly.  A warrior is a person who does things quickly." - Hagakure

atticus

I must apologize for the tardiness of this AAR, with the 3 hour time change flying over, then daylight savings time, then a 3 hour time change flying back...

First, I must thank the landowner, Strat,  as TheUpsetter stated, he is a wonderful host.  Not only did he provide land, a backstop, a target line, and heated shop, he also saw the weather forecast for the weekend, decided something needed to be done, then built a permanent framework for a covered shooting line on Friday!  But wait, he was also responsible for loaning 3 rifles that helped keep the line running and attendees shooting!  TALK ABOUT STEPPING UP TO THE PLATE.  THANKS AGAIN STRAT! O0

Official numbers: Saturday Attendees 14, by the way, it was raining at 06:00.  I know some of the line-dancing couch potatoes saw the forecast and went back to bed, you missed a fantastic shoot!
Saturday Riflemen: 2 which works out to 14.3%
Sunday Attendees: 10 from Sat plus two more Sunday only walk-ons, total: 12
Sunday Riflemen:  2
Total Riflemen for the weekend: 4 out of 16 shooters.  25% Riflemen for the weekend plus marked improvement on numerous shooters.  Excellent shooting Washington State!

I can guarantee, everyone of the shooters that attended can and will earn a Rifleman patch by dry-firing, practicing positions, and mag changes.  Then at the next AS, bring your friends and family, they will be SHOCKED when you shoot a Rifleman score on the first AQT of Saturday.

Congrats to the four Riflemen, thanks again to Strat, and a Big Thanks to all the instructors.  Until next time, keep squeezing the trigger.

Atticus

Pugna Pro Patria

Beware of the man that owns only one rifle, he probably knows how to use it.

Have you dry fired your rifle today?

atticus

I'm afraid to post the first picture, taken on Friday before the snow.  Fred already complains that I only step up for the most beautiful and pleasant parts of the country.

Just in case you weren't there, here are a few pictures:
Pugna Pro Patria

PHenry

STRAT,
My red hat is off to you sir - you are clearly the kind of person I aspire to be. For whatever it's worth - thank you.

Atticus,
I am beginning to see a trend here - you always git more Rifleman than I do. While my ego says it's just a coincidence - my brain knows better. You are the best of the best sir and I am proud to know you.  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Fred

Quote from: atticus on March 11, 2009, 07:36:41 AM
I'm afraid to post the first picture, taken on Friday before the snow.  Fred already complains that I only step up for the most beautiful and pleasant parts of the country.

Looking at the first and last pics, why would poor Fred ever make a crazy complaint like that?  :)

The rest of the pics don't look so bad, either. A berm as big as that one has got to be "a thing of beauty" to an Appleseed Instructor!

Good job, all! Thanks for that SNODAR, Strat!

Say, if it's a DAR, we should have ten more AS (at least) set up for the rest of the year, right?

And maybe an IBC or two?

Just askin'...

O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Nickle

If you can get 10+ events scheduled, there could certainly be more than just 2 IBC's scheduled. Just have to get enough Riflemen made to train, and it looks like you're off to a good start on that. Looks like there's justification for one ASAP.

Fred, Fred, I'm going to have to counsel you, about setting the goals too low (just kidding, of course).  ;)

They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

atticus

I knew better than to post that picture.

As usual, Fred is correct, a nice berm is a thing of beauty! :)

Pugna Pro Patria

STRAT

Sun Rise can be beautiful too.

Grass does grow here, we just need a little more global warming to get it growing again.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
— Thomas Paine, Thoughts on Defensive War (1775).
location  SNODAR   Snohomish County WA state

atticus

Strat, wonderful sunrise, we (Instructors) try to keep pictures like those off the AAR.  Now you have gone and caused a whole bunch of work for Nickle, he'll be busy making a waiting list for instructors. :)
Pugna Pro Patria

Nickle

Russ, if only that were true.

Does look pretty, though. We NEED more places like that, and a few others I know of.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Doktor_Jeep

Did I see the word "shocked"?

That's what I felt when arriving on Friday night and seeing that Strat SINGLEHANDEDLY built that overhead. He asked for my help but I was too busy working on a case (of rum) - OK I could not get a day off on late notice.

:D

Fantastic range and we will work to get some grass growing there hopefully as soon as this ice age ends.

Thank you Atticus for coming out and for your hard work travelling around the country taking care of business.

RL

Thank you Strat and thank you Atticus. I took a few pictures of the dismal snow on Saturday. I have yet to post them...soon though! Excellent shooting weather! If there wasn't any adversity, what would we have to thrive on!
...and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people.
John Adams, from the Boston Gazette, February 6, 1775

We live, my dear soul, in an age of trial. What will be the consequence, I know not.
John Adams in a letter to Abigail, 1774.

POP

WOW!   O0
Great AAR PICs.
And, some great AAR commentary as well. 

Kinda makes me wish I were on my Appleseed tour now.

But, somehow I have gotten real busy down here in South Texas with Corpus Christi, Port Lavaca, and promoting other locations.  When the smoke clears here (naw, it ain't never gonna clear, not even after we have saved our country ... we have to keep working to preserve it) but, I will go on tour and make it up to WA and OR and points all around. 

And, who knows, I might just team up with TheUpsetter again for a few AS shoots.

Thanks, TU, strat, atticus, Wheeler44, ...
And, strat, was your Monroe SNODAR equipped with a heated indoor line?   **) Nice Work O0.

See you on the trail.   :~
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

Earl

I was working the line on this day, teaching History, but didn't have a camera working.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.