News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Memphis, TN May 29-30, 2021

Started by dart67eb, May 31, 2021, 04:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dart67eb

Another record setting event!  Congratulations to our eight new Riflemen and our two requals!  How abut Sarah Jett with the high score of the event?  235 at her first Appleseed!  Many thanks to Mustang for rounding up these folks and getting them some familiarization prior to the shoot.  It made our jobs so much easier.  I also want to thank Rustygun, TN Beast, Old Navy Doc and Kopter Doktor for working the event.  Their help made this a success.  There will be more to follow!
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

Tennessee Beast

I was so happy for Chad.  He scored a 218.  I have worked with Chad on many occasions and there was cheering and group hugs when he scored Rifleman.  His determination inspired me.  Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

BTW, he shot stage 2 from standing...impressive!!!   :bow:
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Rustygun

What a great Appleseed this weekend! Perfect weather and a full line. A great group with positive attitudes and they soaked up the instruction and history like a sponge. We had some new shooters and some returning shooters some of whom had patched before and were chasing their distinguished. Some of the shooters had been going to a once a month fun shoot that has a lot of Appleseed influence, and it really paid off with a lot of first timers getting their patches. In addition we had several shooters hitting 205, 207 and other heartbreaker scores, and others knocking on the door as well. A lot of progress with some of our brand new shooters who will no doubt patch if they do a little dry fire between now and their next event. We hope to see them again soon. A couple ladies from Girl with a Gun participated and now there is talk of a Ladyseed. An all around great event with a lot of good shooting, fun, and sharing of history that was very well received.

Our Shoot Boss in training welcomes the shooters

The shooters bring their gear to the line

Kopter Doctor reviews the safety rules

The shooters get to work

Lunch and the Second Strike with Old Navy Doc

A little IMC after lunch

The AQT is explained

The shooters start shooting for the money

And the parade of Riflemen and Riflewomen takes off

Joseph with a 216

James with a 224

Sarah with a 235 at her first event!

Tae patches with a 231 with a borrowed rifle

Lawson handles it with a 215

Chad breaks through with a 218 after a lot of dedication at
his 5th event!

Doc Perkins with a 229

Mike requals with 216. He is on the Distinguished trail now

John requals with 228

Avery patches with 216 at his second event

Sarah takes home some Appleseed swag as Top Gun for the weekend with 235. Nice shooting Sarah!

CrapShoot

I am so proud of this amazing group of shooters, and know it couldn't happen without the team of knowledgeable (and very patient) Shoot Bosses and RSOs: Dart67eb, Rustygun, TNBeast, OldNavyDoc, KopterDoktor and BlackKnight!
1st AS: 09/26/2020
2nd AS: 10/17/2020
3rd AS: 11/14/2020
4th AS: 04/17/2021
5th AS: 05/29/2021
Rifleman: 05/30/2021
Rifleman: 09/26/2021

Old Navy Doc

This event was well worth the drive from Nashville. The range was superb and many thanks to MSSA for hosting this Appleseed event, "Veel Be Back!" 

The shooters and instructors motivated each other and the results reflected it. Thanks to the dedication of Mustang and his loyal group, if I were Dr Prescott, I would definitely have you guys on my "to call list."

Dart67eb, Rusty Gun, and Tennessee Beast set up a coordinated a extremely succinct, customized, and successful COF the yielded phenomenal results, happy participants, and significant Seventh Stepping. Fred would be happy.

Doc
First AS: Ramseur 2/09
Rifleman: Charlotte 11/14
Orange Hat: Calera 1/15
KD Rifleman: Puryear 5/15
Red Hat: Sevierville  11/16
Rimfire KD: Huntsville 12/20
Pistoleer™: Huntsville 2/21

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."  Plato

Calaboose Cross

What a great weekend with a stellar group of instructors and fellow shooters. Dart67eb, RustyGun, Old NavyDoc, BlackKnight,  KoptorDoctor, and TNBeast all did a fabulous welcoming job in making the shooters feel comfortable in two full days of shooting. Always safety conscious, they ran a professional shooting line and included history lessons along with teaching the necessary shooting skills that turned novice shooters into marksmen. Mustang Alan Doyle showed his talent in recruiting a group of dedicated shooters who practiced off-site and came ready to fully participate. He also did a great job helping on the line. Many of the coveted "Rifleman" patches were awarded over the weekend and the aforementioned instructors deserve the credit. Indeed, several of the talented shooters, Sarah Jett and Tae Reed, will undoubtedly qualify for the prestigious "Distinguished" tab next Appleseed rifle match. The aforementioned instructors should feel much pleased after this weekend's turn of events. We are grateful to them all....

grunt 0311

This weekend was my first appleseed,  and probably not my last. I started out unprepared,  and with a rifle that I knew nothing about,  on top of that, I had physical issues, and a not so great attitude! Sounds like the perfect recipe for going to a 2 day shooting clinic, doesn't it? The frustration just kept building and building,  my rifle was giving me fits, my body was giving me fits, and I just wasn't having a good time.  The instructors and staff were very patient and they bent over backwards to encourage and help. The history and instruction was excellent! I've never understood minute of angle until now, I even went home and watched a appleseed you tube video about it. I want to thank everyone for their time and knowledge of rifle shooting,  and look forward to coming back out and trying again after I'm more prepared!

Jarhead1727

This was a fun event and my first. I am hooked now. Thank you for inviting me out to this. I've signed up for another one already. I am bringing 3 other new people to the next one at MSSA. Thanks to David for letting me borrow a rifle the first day. Look forward to seeing old friends and making new ones the at the next event.

AG_AG-Memphis

WOW!  This event was amazing! This was my first experience in training with a rifle. I am the facilitator of the Memphis Chapter of A Girl And A Gun and one of my Ateam members and I were invited to participate in this weekend event by David (RustyGun).  THANK YOU!  I learned so much and really had a good time.  Everyone involved was helpful and very passionate about the history and training. The instructors and RSOs were patient and very encouraging with us newbies. We had such a great experience that we went back and told the ladies in our chapter and they want to participate in a Ladyseed event! I will be dryfire practicing until then. :) Goal of Rifleman is on my list.

dart67eb

For you new sign ups to the forum, there is a wealth of rifle marksmanship information here.  I know there is a lot of information on the web, but now that you've seen what Appleseed does, I think we are what you call a "trusted source."

Tennessee Beast

Here are some targets scaled down to 10 feet for you to practice dryfiring the strings of fire inside your house  (don't forget the squares target...it can be used for a myriad of uses).  Things to practice are: 6 steps of firing a shot, steady hold factors, finding NPOA quickly, smooth magazine changes, shifting, rifleman's cadence,  and transitions. After a while, it becomes second nature.

In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

CrapShoot

Throughout the course of my five Appleseed events, one of my two most employed phrases when someone would ask how I was shooting, would be "I'm just here for the T-shirt." It was my way of deflecting further discussion and minimizing my continual disappointment of not earning the Rifleman patch.

Over the month before Appleseed, I went to the rifle range once or twice to figure out how to site-in a scope for the first time. I had never shot with a scope before. In addition to the new scope, I knew I was supposed to have a rifle sling. I pilfered the tactical sling off of another rifle, ignoring the recommendation of a GI sling. I showed up at my first Appleseed event with a rifle that was severely off zero, fitted with incredibly unnecessary accessories and an incorrect sling.

My first target, the site-in square target, didn't see a single hit. I came to learn that I actually was hitting my neighbor's target, not because I was aiming there, but because my scope was so far off. Fortunately the instructors were incredibly patient with me, even taking me within five yards of the target one-on-one just to find out how far off my scope really was. They also loaned me a correct sling for the day.

Throughout the day, I learned the various positions for the AQT. Not only was this physically demanding but in certain cases physically impossible for me. I was born with a medical condition that has limited my mobility and flexibility. I've played sports my whole life, and I've always been able to compensate for my limitations. I could handle the First Stage of the AQT to an extent, but was unable to obtain the steady hold factors to secure myself in the recommended firing position. The Second Stage was even worse. I was lucky if I could manage to get 5 or 6 shots off in the 55 seconds, much less accurately. In addition to my limitations obtaining the steady hold factors, I also have cross-eye-dominance, which for me is being right-handed but left-eyed. On my first AQT, I shot a 74.

On day two, I borrowed a rifle from an instructor. My scores improved but I still struggled trying to obtain the various firing positions. Despite all of the setbacks, I maintained high hopes that I could be in the elite 15% who score Riflemen at their first Appleseed event. As the second day drew to a close, those hopes faded away.

For my second Appleseed event, I converted my rifle back to factory condition by replacing my "tacti-cool" stock with the factory polymer stock. I wrapped copious amounts of pipe insulation and duct tape around my stock attempting to get my cheek weld in the perfect position, without realizing just how different my body shape would be when in standing position compared to prone position (deservedly my rifle was referred to as a "broken leg" throughout the day due to my overly enthusiastic padding and wrapping). My scores improved from my first Appleseed, but the dreaded Stage Two had defeated me yet again.

My third Appleseed was much like my second. I did well enough on three of the four stages, but Stage Two continued to suppress my score. Not only was I unable to obtain Rifleman on my third Appleseed, which statistically should be the Appledeed where even the most novice of shooters obtain their Rifleman patch, but I shot my worst series of AQTs to date. I hoped my failure was less about a lack of accuracy and more about my limitations in mobility. I left the weekend greatly discouraged, wondering if I was just not suited for the demands of Appleseed, but deflected my disappointment using my other favorite phrase, "you can't teach a fish to climb a tree."

At my fourth Appleseed, finally having my rifle in correct condition, with appropriate cheek weld support and scope positioning, I made no improvement in scoring the first day. More discouraged than ever and with nothing left to lose, that night I decided to try something drastic: I was going to shoot off-handed on day two. It seemed like the only thing I had yet to try. Although I did not earn Rifleman the next day, I did shoot my best AQT to date. There were eight of us there that weekend who had practiced together religiously before the event - seven earned Rifleman.

Over the following month, with renewed hope but lingering doubt, I determined that if I wanted a radical change of results, I would have to make more radical changes in myself. I examined every possible variable that I had control over that could affect my score.

One week prior to my fifth Appleseed, I purchased a new rifle. I did all the things to the rifle that I should have done with my first rifle. I purchased the correct sling, improved parts, improved trigger, and all of those other things that would remove any excuse for me to blame my equipment. I also decided not to let myself be stuck in a "right handed or left handed" mindset. I decided to shoot the standing stage right handed and prone stages left handed. Additionally, knowing that the seated position was detrimental to my score, I requested the Shoot Boss to allow me to stand on the second stage. Because standing is a more difficult position than seated, he allowed me to do so. While I had decent performance throughout day one, I could not break through the elusive Rifleman score of 210.

On day two, I took an additional risk and brought both of my rifles to the line. I was more comfortable standing with one, but more comfortable prone with the other, so I went with it. My scores fluctuated wildly without any reason. I took all of my AQT targets from the day and calculated my best scores of each Stage, and even that did not get me to 210 points, leading to my lowest point of disappointment all weekend.

We then came to our last AQT of the day: I shot Stage One standing, right handed, with rifle A; Stage Two standing, right handed, with rifle A; Stage Three prone, left handed, with rifle A; and Stage Four prone, left handed, with rifle B.

After the last course of fire, I took the long walk down the range to retrieve my target, but it was gone. I saw a range safety officer walking away with a target in-hand. I asked if that was mine and he said "yes" and nothing more.

I thought nothing of it as I felt that I had shot the same as I had the prior AQTs of the day. As I was chatting with the other shooters, waiting to get my target back so I could score it, and packing my gear to wrap-up, the Shoot Boss called my name, walking to the front of the group with my target in-hand.

I cannot begin to explain the emotions that came rushing in when he announced that I finally "knew what I was about" - five Appleseeds worth of disappointment, close-calls, "just missed it" and "maybe next time" all vanished in that moment.

When I was presented with that most precious Rifleman patch, my only thoughts were of the hours and hours of time and teaching I was given by all the shoot bosses, Appleseed instructors, Applecore volunteers and shooting partners that I had over the last year. Without them, I would not have succeeded in obtaining Rifleman on the last AQT of the last day of my fifth Appleseed.

Finally, a fish was taught to climb a tree, and I left with more than just a t-shirt.

Chad "Crapshoot" Cardwell
Rifleman

dart67eb

A Rifleman persists.  You are no doubt a Rifleman.  It was an honor to help you.

Quote from: CrapShoot on June 05, 2021, 01:40:50 AM
Throughout the course of my five Appleseed events, one of my two most employed phrases when someone would ask how I was shooting, would be "I'm just here for the T-shirt." It was my way of deflecting further discussion and minimizing my continual disappointment of not earning the Rifleman patch.

Over the month before Appleseed, I went to the rifle range once or twice to figure out how to site-in a scope for the first time. I had never shot with a scope before. In addition to the new scope, I knew I was supposed to have a rifle sling. I pilfered the tactical sling off of another rifle, ignoring the recommendation of a GI sling. I showed up at my first Appleseed event with a rifle that was severely off zero, fitted with incredibly unnecessary accessories and an incorrect sling.

My first target, the site-in square target, didn't see a single hit. I came to learn that I actually was hitting my neighbor's target, not because I was aiming there, but because my scope was so far off. Fortunately the instructors were incredibly patient with me, even taking me within five yards of the target one-on-one just to find out how far off my scope really was. They also loaned me a correct sling for the day.

Throughout the day, I learned the various positions for the AQT. Not only was this physically demanding but in certain cases physically impossible for me. I was born with a medical condition that has limited my mobility and flexibility. I've played sports my whole life, and I've always been able to compensate for my limitations. I could handle the First Stage of the AQT to an extent, but was unable to obtain the steady hold factors to secure myself in the recommended firing position. The Second Stage was even worse. I was lucky if I could manage to get 5 or 6 shots off in the 55 seconds, much less accurately. In addition to my limitations obtaining the steady hold factors, I also have cross-eye-dominance, which for me is being right-handed but left-eyed. On my first AQT, I shot a 74.

On day two, I borrowed a rifle from an instructor. My scores improved but I still struggled trying to obtain the various firing positions. Despite all of the setbacks, I maintained high hopes that I could be in the elite 15% who score Riflemen at their first Appleseed event. As the second day drew to a close, those hopes faded away.

For my second Appleseed event, I converted my rifle back to factory condition by replacing my "tacti-cool" stock with the factory polymer stock. I wrapped copious amounts of pipe insulation and duct tape around my stock attempting to get my cheek weld in the perfect position, without realizing just how different my body shape would be when in standing position compared to prone position (deservedly my rifle was referred to as a "broken leg" throughout the day due to my overly enthusiastic padding and wrapping). My scores improved from my first Appleseed, but the dreaded Stage Two had defeated me yet again.

My third Appleseed was much like my second. I did well enough on three of the four stages, but Stage Two continued to suppress my score. Not only was I unable to obtain Rifleman on my third Appleseed, which statistically should be the Appledeed where even the most novice of shooters obtain their Rifleman patch, but I shot my worst series of AQTs to date. I hoped my failure was less about a lack of accuracy and more about my limitations in mobility. I left the weekend greatly discouraged, wondering if I was just not suited for the demands of Appleseed, but deflected my disappointment using my other favorite phrase, "you can't teach a fish to climb a tree."

At my fourth Appleseed, finally having my rifle in correct condition, with appropriate cheek weld support and scope positioning, I made no improvement in scoring the first day. More discouraged than ever and with nothing left to lose, that night I decided to try something drastic: I was going to shoot off-handed on day two. It seemed like the only thing I had yet to try. Although I did not earn Rifleman the next day, I did shoot my best AQT to date. There were eight of us there that weekend who had practiced together religiously before the event - seven earned Rifleman.

Over the following month, with renewed hope but lingering doubt, I determined that if I wanted a radical change of results, I would have to make more radical changes in myself. I examined every possible variable that I had control over that could affect my score.

One week prior to my fifth Appleseed, I purchased a new rifle. I did all the things to the rifle that I should have done with my first rifle. I purchased the correct sling, improved parts, improved trigger, and all of those other things that would remove any excuse for me to blame my equipment. I also decided not to let myself be stuck in a "right handed or left handed" mindset. I decided to shoot the standing stage right handed and prone stages left handed. Additionally, knowing that the seated position was detrimental to my score, I requested the Shoot Boss to allow me to stand on the second stage. Because standing is a more difficult position than seated, he allowed me to do so. While I had decent performance throughout day one, I could not break through the elusive Rifleman score of 210.

On day two, I took an additional risk and brought both of my rifles to the line. I was more comfortable standing with one, but more comfortable prone with the other, so I went with it. My scores fluctuated wildly without any reason. I took all of my AQT targets from the day and calculated my best scores of each Stage, and even that did not get me to 210 points, leading to my lowest point of disappointment all weekend.

We then came to our last AQT of the day: I shot Stage One standing, right handed, with rifle A; Stage Two standing, right handed, with rifle A; Stage Three prone, left handed, with rifle A; and Stage Four prone, left handed, with rifle B.

After the last course of fire, I took the long walk down the range to retrieve my target, but it was gone. I saw a range safety officer walking away with a target in-hand. I asked if that was mine and he said "yes" and nothing more.

I thought nothing of it as I felt that I had shot the same as I had the prior AQTs of the day. As I was chatting with the other shooters, waiting to get my target back so I could score it, and packing my gear to wrap-up, the Shoot Boss called my name, walking to the front of the group with my target in-hand.

I cannot begin to explain the emotions that came rushing in when he announced that I finally "knew what I was about" - five Appleseeds worth of disappointment, close-calls, "just missed it" and "maybe next time" all vanished in that moment.

When I was presented with that most precious Rifleman patch, my only thoughts were of the hours and hours of time and teaching I was given by all the shoot bosses, Appleseed instructors, Applecore volunteers and shooting partners that I had over the last year. Without them, I would not have succeeded in obtaining Rifleman on the last AQT of the last day of my fifth Appleseed.

Finally, a fish was taught to climb a tree, and I left with more than just a t-shirt.

Chad "Crapshoot" Cardwell
Rifleman

Rustygun

Chad is certainly a role model for everyone on Persistence. Despite difficultly and disappointment, he adapted and overcame actually earning his patch with points to spare on a more difficult COF than standard by firing from standing on stage 2. I was watching his target through binoculars with only stage 4 left to go. I could do a pretty accurate scoring job through the binos since few rounds were in the white. I knew if he had a good stage 4 he would be in the money. Watching him hammer it out on stage 4 was a joy to behold!

A man who knows what he is about no doubt

CrapShoot

Rusty, thank you for the continued guidance and encouragement.

CrapShoot

Dart, thank you for your great instruction and encouragement.

Black Knight

Chad, I can not verbalize how proud of you I am.  Your persistence and determination have been evident all along and now you see the fruits of that.  A Rifleman persists and by your score you show you rightfully deserve the title.  YOU EARNED IT, MAN!!!
Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021

CrapShoot

Ramblin' Wreck

HUZZAH!
Sounds like you might have had some folks at this event who might be ready to learn to shoot the Rifleman's Quarter Mile. There's a Known Distance (KD) in Puryear, TN September 11-12 with Master Instructor DonD (you know, the guy who wrote the KD manual) as Shoot Boss. I'll be there helping as well.

All you need is a centerfire rifle like a .223/5.56 and probably not more than 250 rounds for the weekend.

Check it out here. I expect this one to fill up quickly.  https://appleseedinfo.org/location/?locationid=146&eventid=7999
See you on the line.  O0
Ramblin' Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

dart67eb

Wreck,

That means stealing folks from the Como shoot!  You are welcome, though.  We have folks that need to get to the next level.  They will be in good hands with Don and you taking them there.  Huzzah!

Eb

Quote from: Ramblin' Wreck on June 07, 2021, 11:27:09 AM
HUZZAH!
Sounds like you might have had some folks at this event who might be ready to learn to shoot the Rifleman's Quarter Mile. There's a Known Distance (KD) in Puryear, TN September 11-12 with Master Instructor DonD (you know, the guy who wrote the KD manual) as Shoot Boss. I'll be there helping as well.

All you need is a centerfire rifle like a .223/5.56 and probably not more than 250 rounds for the weekend.

Check it out here. I expect this one to fill up quickly.  https://appleseedinfo.org/location/?locationid=146&eventid=7999
See you on the line.  O0
Ramblin' Wreck