News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

HAT CREEK, CA INSTRUCTOR KD AAR, APRIL 27-28, 2019

Started by NorCal22Gal, May 03, 2019, 01:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorCal22Gal

Spring time....A time when an instructor's fancy turns to ….

THE HAT CREEK INSTRUCTOR KD!!

What a great weekend!!!!  There were 11 of us out there.  9 of us shooting, and let me tell you, the sound of 9 centerfire rifles going off at one time is a goosebump inducing experience...in a good way!!!

Friday night a bunch of us got together and repaired all the targets.  They were getting tattered.  Some of these targets were from the original batch that Fred sent us back in 2009 or 2010!!!  Sad to see them go, but they were pretty much done for. 

Saturday started with set up of 5 lines.  A 25 meter line for zeroing in, then all the rest 100-400 yards all set up.

We then reviewed safety rules, safe rifle and the rest.  We spent extra time tightening up all the positions, needed when you shoot a centerfire.

Noon, the call for Morgan's Rifleman Tryouts sounded.  April is the newest member!!  Congrats!  She was awarded a vintage Appleseed mug for hitting the headshot at 200 yards.

We worked on the knowledge of the come ups/downs, battlesight zero, windage (helpful as it was a windy weekend) and other KD items.

By the end of Saturday, everyone was on paper at all distances.

After we were sighted in, we moved on to ranging, learning how to estimate distances using the size of known items, like your front sight or reticle in your scope or other handy items.

A dinner break, bbq/potluck.  Thanks everyone for bringing the yummy side dishes.

After dinner we moved on to a bit of unknown distance and building a range card.  This would come in handy later.....

Sunday, the instructors who had been before were tasked with "hiding" the 4 steel AQT targets and two head targets at various distances.  After they were hidden and verified that they could be seen (even if it was not easy....), every one got together and tried to find them.  Students were permitted to use a scope, but no binoculars or spotting scopes.  They were to find the targets and estimate the range.  After all were found, they were moved to places in front of berms, in accordance with range rules, and every one had a chance at taking a shot at them.

Andy hit 5 out of the 6 and was awarded a vintage Appleseed mug as well.

We hit the AQT's right after lunch, and let me tell you, this was a focused group.  Everyone put their all into shooting and getting things down. 

Andy scored the first Rifleman score of the day, finally getting his KD Rifleman, with a 223!!!  He then scored 2 more scores of 214 each (hope I didn't miss one Andy)
Matt qualified again with a 218.

Christina, our newest IIT, ran a new rifle like a champ. Great job!!!!!

After a long weekend, we finally had to tear down and clean up. 

Everyone learned lots and had a great time.  Next year is too far away, but will be here really soon.

Thank you all for coming out.

Special thanks to the Hat Creek Rifle and Pistol Club for the facilities.

Thank you to Matt & Chris, and Andy for assisting with the teaching, you guys did a great job.

See you all on the line again soon....

TallSteve

What a Great Event!
What Great People!
What a Great Learning Experience!

I previously earned KD Rifleman with an AR15.  This year I wanted to use my precision bolt action .308 and Mil Dot Scope.  My goals were to learn everything that I could, become more familiar with this rifle and scope, and learn the mil dot system better.  I reached those goals.  A back injury largely kept me from being able to score KD Rifleman with this rifle. 

Thank you to everyone who participated in this event. 

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees*. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

ItsanSKS

Please tell me that there were pictures taken at this event...

We're in *desperate* need of marketing material that isn't "women and kids w/22's". 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

eaglescouter

Quote from: ItsanSKS on May 14, 2019, 01:59:45 AM
Please tell me that there were pictures taken at this event...

We're in *desperate* need of marketing material that isn't "women and kids w/22's".

Not that kind of photos, I got setup, takedown, target rehab, scoring, and awards that I need to post though.

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)