News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A Summer 2009 Appleseed in Central South Dakota?

Started by Whisker, January 11, 2009, 11:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whisker

How about an appleseed?

I have access to some land just 5 miles north of I-90 and Chamberlain, SD.  It is a 11 acre piece of land right on the Missouri river cliffs with a house/barn.  Perhaps we could host an appleseed there?

A site is pretty ideal for an appleseed.  There is an area where soil was taken out of a hillside to construct a dam.  It is 35 Meters deep and the backstop is probably 5-10 M high.  It is built into a hill, so bullets will go nowhere.  However, there is a flaw.  Above the hill, and a little behind is a road.  It is not visible from the potential firing line.  In fact I don't think it is possible to hit... However, I want to make sure this would not be an issue.  Here is a picture:

URL here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/32150697@N04/3189471479/

Now, I would prefer we found an actual range... but I am not familiar with the area.  I am moving to this place north of Chamberlain in late May for the summer.  But, If we cannot come up with a different potential range... I would be happy to host it.

Things to determine:
1.  Shoot Boss?
2.  Is the proposed range safe?
3.  Are there other ranges around?
4.  Is there enough interest in South Dakota to even do this?
5.  Date?  I like the idea of Mid June.  

Let me know your opinions, South Dakota.  I'd like to see this happen.

Whisker

What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

funfaler

QuoteThings to determine:
1.  Shoot Boss?   This is not a concern for you to deal with.  Get a date/location, Appleseed WILL GET YOU A SHOOT BOSS!!
2.  Is the proposed range safe?  This is key, but you make it sound as if it is.
3.  Are there other ranges around?  this matters little.  Have a couple of events at your place, the other ranges will come along
4.  Is there enough interest in South Dakota to even do this?  Again, this is not your concern, schedule the event, let Appleseed worry about building "interest".
5.  Date?  I like the idea of Mid June.    You will find that the Appleseed program will grow faster, if you have more Appleseed shoots.

So, of the issues you raise above, looks like only #2 is the real issue.  If it is safe, let's do it!

A note on scheduling several events over just a single.

You have just one event, you get some folks to come out, have a great time, want to get involved.  They share their experience with their buddies and their buddies ask, "I really want to go, when is the next one?", the answer of "next year", really puts the damper on their enthusiasm  :-[    However, if you say, in two months, that not only gives them a goal and a way to get involved, but it also affords us (you) an opportunity to enlist them in the promotion of that second shoot.

Folks, we need more locations.  But keep in mind that if we artificially limit the number of shoots we have at a location due to the fact that it is a new location, or that we don't know if there is enough "interest" or some other factor, then we are selling the program short and eliminating any opportunity to grow the program in a given area.

We have several events in the same location, we WILL build a local promotions team, local Instructor corps, and will get bigger turn outs and quality people helping the program. 

One event?  What can we expect from that than just some folks having fun on a single weekend......is that what Appleseed is about.....just having fun? 

If Appleseed is about a goal, a mission, then why be hesitant to really push it forward and build the program as fast and as strong as possible?

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Whisker

Thanks for the encouragement funfaler.  Any input from the South Dakota crow here?
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

AFTERMATH

COME ON SOUTH DAKOTANS!!!

Where are you?  You all should be jumping on this. Don't let Whisker change his mind.
This Golden opportunity for an Appleseed!

Chime in.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

funfaler

Hey Whiskers, just set it up.

What date would you like to do this? 

Would YOU attend?  If so, that is more than enough people to justify us coming up there to put on an Appleseed.

In fact, this could be your opportunity for some very personalized, one on one rifle marksmanship instruction (though I doubt if you set it up, you will be the only one there).

Tell you what, let's make this very easy on you....cuz I like to help others,  ^-^

All the following dates are just fine with us, we will plan on seeing you at each of them!

April 4-5
May 30-31
Instructor Boot Camp June 13-14
June 27-28
July 25-26
August 29-30
Instructor Boot Camp Sept 19-20
September 26-27
October 24-25
November 21-22

With this schedule, you will have 6+ local helpers for the June shoot, with about 6+ folks at the Instructor course in June.  This will give SD a good Instructor base to work with.

By the Instructor course in Sept, you will have another 10 Instructors, for a total of 16+.

Also, by the June Shoot, you will have 2 more locations that will host shoots in SD.  Your roll in all of this, after the June shoot, will be to watch the show go on, as you will be silly with helpers and they will be pushing you aside so that they can have a larger share of the glory that will come with a successful Appleseed program in South Dakota.

By the November shoot, you will have another 8 people who want to become Instructors, along with another 3 locations, for a total of 6 SD locations and 24+ Instructors to start the 2010 Appleseed Tour.

So, there, short and long term planning done for you, no charge, from funfaler.  I went easy on you, so feel free to do more, it will not be counted against you. 

We need a Host Application http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=607.0  Get this to 'smle' or 'Dug'in' here on the forum, they will help you complete the process. 

Man....good thing you found me when you did....you could have wasted a good bit of time fretting about the plans for your property, how you were going to handle this and all that.....I just laid it out for you, again, to make it easy on you.......just a little service I provide when not handling the tough Appleseed issues we face  O0

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Whisker

okay final details are in the works with the land owner...