News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR 200 Yard .22LR KD, Matamoras, PA July 16, 2017

Started by StevenK, July 18, 2017, 04:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenK

UPDATED: 

Information related to this Course of Fire updated on May 5 2018 .22LR/200 Yard KD

Matamoras Rod and Gun Club hosted Project Appleseed's Rifleman Only 200 yd .22 KD.  The Course goals were to have shooters take their .22  rifles and USING A 150 YARD ZERO (See description)  stretch them out to 200 yards.  Known Distance involves targets set at "known" intermediate ranges; in this course we set targets at 100-125-150-175 and 200 yards.

Instructor and SB was StevenK.

•   Participants worked within the limits and capabilities of the .22 round at these distances using reticle information, known distances, and trajectory tables.

•   The Course is a scaled version of a larger range - the concept was to teach the shooters to use holdovers without sight adjustment.   

•   I developed this course over the past 2-3 years now. This was the Second time I had taught this course to students. I recommend that the participants should be prior riflemen;   transmittal of the information to newer students would have been too much info (TMI) for the one event day.

•   At this event shooters brought whatever ammo they preferred - a good 40 gr. HV ammo (1250+/-) might be used,  but no particular brand was mentioned. The SB Chronographed many rounds and instructed students on the importance of actual speed vs that printed on the box as it relaters to ballistic data. A scope is a good idea but not required, nor is any particular reticle or power suggested.

•   All courses of fire were completed from the prone position.

•   **** The major change between this event and the July 2017 .22lr KD is that we chagned the operative zero from 25 yards to 150 yards.  This provides a holdover/holdover much like that used with a Centerfire rifle at 1-400 distances.

•   After a block of instruction we then moved to the 100 yard line and, on a cold range, spent the time required to obtain the MOA measurement information in everyone's scope (about 20 minutes). The shooters used blocks or bipod provided by the SB to steady their rifles for this exercise. All had a second focal plane scope with several different reticles and they measured every aspect of these reticles  at full magnification to determine MOA/MIL - we used several articles of known size placed downrange (two 66 inch poles with painted increments at 100 and 200 yards)( the poles each had a wind flag) and a ruled marked of at 2 MOA segments (1 moa was not visible) as well as a full sized MILDOT reticle chart. In addition, there was a 4x8 backer downrange and we had also posted the 18x24 fill sized centers for additional reference  -  The shooters then drew their reticles on a dope sheet and recorded all MOA/MIL measurement information  -  this sheet was kept separate from all other measurements taken at the event and was used for the entire day. 

•   Another part of the course material was a calculation (BDC) graph provided that included different round velocities and zero points. This was also used throughout the day.

•   Still another aspect of the course was introduction to unknown distance - The shooters learned the calculations necessary to estimate range using MIL or MOA data. All had consistent answers - the idea was to introduce this concept to the shooters that range estimates can be accomplished with the reticle on a known sized object at an unknown distance away.

All firing was from the prone position; shifting positions would be best done on a second day of instruction due to time limitations. 

COURSE OF FIRE:

The shooters INITIALLY zeroed at 25 yards - we would then adjust to a 150 yard zero from the data on the ballistics calculator. Zeroing at 150 per se would have been a logistic pain in the neck. The wind, equipment issues, ammo issues and human error at distance makes the 25 yard zero a reliable start point for the adjustment of 48 or more clicks to a 150 yard zero - this is a 14-15 MOA elevation above the 25 yard zero. Everyone made this adjustment, aimed at the bottome left square,  and their POI now was well above the bottom left square and adjacent to the top half of  the middle sighter.  We then fired from the 150 yard line - all shooters usd the crosshair on their reticle and placed their rounds in the center of the target.  Everyone hit the target in the five ring of the center, some in the V.  THe shooters all recorded this data, returned to the rifle and,again looked through the rifle to determine what the difference between the POA and POI looked lke on their reticle before they made any corrections. THe shooters then recorded this information and then confirmed the Zeros at 150 (the shooter with 125yd zero worked the same process based on his ballistics data). NO ADJUSTMENT to the reticle was to be made after this zero was confirmed.

THe shooters then confirmed their HOLDOVER/HOLDUNDER "Zero" at 125, 175 and 200 in this manner: using the ballistic tables provided our shooters determined the drop at each of these distances. They divided the "inches" drop on these tables by the known distance (i.e. DROP in inches[20] divided by 1.75yds = 11.43 MOA) and determined where that point was found on their reticle. This data was recorded in an aimpoint drawing before the shooters fired that distance. Once downrange (again with their books) the differences (using a ruler!) between POA and POI were again recorded. UPon return to the rifle the shooters noted what the POA/POI looked like through their reticle. They then recorded the correction and marked the correct holdover/holdunder.

On this range we have only one backstop at 200 yards.  Therefore we had to shoulder arms and move the line. By days end we walked 2.95 miles.

We had a 4-7 MPH variable wind all day and these patterns sometimes showed on the targets as a whole. Shooters adjusted at times for the wind to good effect.

The qualifications were to use the information provided and taken to determine the shooters holdover and holdunders to place 80 per cent of the rounds on target at all ranges.  All shooters did very well in this exercise scoring  90 - 100% of the 50 rounds used (10 per distance). The targets were full sized centers that, from an SB perspective, were effective for this exercise because they provided both a small target and room for the rounds to strike paper so the shooter can identify if a correction were to be made - With time, in this course, a shooter can use the scaled 100 yard target (from the AQT) at all distances and strike to good effect once he knows his round and his rifle. In most cases it takes more than one day.  The full sized centers are best for this one day event - the large centers provide a V ring as a target for shooters where they developed greater accuracy.  A big target is also good for shooters who may be struggling with an issue so they can see their POI.  This particular group was usually hitting in the 5 ring, or the V ring, by the end of the day at all distances.  A shooter that can see where he hits the target will be happier even if he missed the POA -  if the target is too small the shooter can get frustrated because he cant see where his rounds hit - and - this is supposed to be fun.

And yes, there were 1-2 MOA groups that appeared throughout the day at all distances. BY days end we walked 2.95 miles with incidental push ups getting into and out of prone position.

At the benediction several recommendations were made, one being that I give SCOPE RECOMMENDATIONS in advance of the event. I was tired at that point so I just recorded this suggestion on paper and said "oh, ok." HOWEVER - Here is the answer I would now give to that recommendation - with respect,  I dont think we need that. Why? Lets bring the scope we have - it will work just fine. It just did - we all shot very well!  ON this date one shooter brought a scope that could not zero at 150, so we adjusted to 125 - He shot the Course with full points using the available balllistics data. Some shooters had MOA reticles, some had Mils - they all worked too. Yet, If we demand (suggest) a particular equipment (aside from the Sling!), then we depart from our mission - essentially, to take rack grade material and make it work for the shooter. Maybe later a particular shooter will want to try another scope because he learned something in the Course that brought him to a deeper understanding of the relationship between an individual shooter and his own gear - OR- maybe he will discover that his equipment is just fine.  Either way he will know where he wants to go with his equipment without suggestions from anyone.   For today, let's shoot with what we have.

Thank you to everyone that attended this event. (END). :F

Boru

Great event, SteveK. Thank you for designing the concept of utilizing a 22lr rifle and ammo to emulate Hi-power Equipment at longer ranges. The "Known Distance for .22 LR" manual you provided is a winner. (Publish and copy right it). Over the years I tried to find a tell-all book on 22lr shooting, and well you nailed it. Kudos. If I were asked to name a few of the outstanding items of the day, I would say there were: A. Outstanding instruction, B. Range Data Card, C. The "Barber Pole" and the great company of participants. I can't wait for the next event. Many thanks to all concerned.
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

REDACTED

Hello,
Thank you StevenK!

I was a great introduction to shooting beyond 100yds. 
Is there going to be a part two, moving into bigger bore rifles?
Never in Writing, Always in Cash!

StevenK

Yes, but that is our instructor KD. otherwise do you Know of a 400 yard range? Sometimes there are such events in other areas.  Can you be an instructor? It takes some time but it is worth it.

drifter52

StevenK thanks for putting this extended range event for .22 rifles together.  You put a lot of work into developing the course and that effort showed.  What a great event!  What good information!
I've qualified KD more than once with center fire rifles, but I always did it by adjusting my scope for elevation.  Shooting this whole COF with a 25 yard zero really forced us to learn how to use the reticle to calculate proper holdover/POI for expected bullet drop.  Quite challenging and really reinforced the information in a way that only practical application of the information can.
Aside from it being a great day on the range I came away with a few points to enhance the KD presentation of our regular Appleseeds.  This is a great opportunity for Instructors to enhance their understanding of bullet drop/behavior at longer distances.  Looking forward to the next one.

REDACTED

Quote from: StevenK on July 20, 2017, 11:51:19 PM
Yes, but that is our instructor KD. otherwise do you Know of a 400 yard range? Sometimes there are such events in other areas.  Can you be an instructor? It takes some time but it is worth it.

I am interested, but my worry is time commitment.
perhaps i will talk to Drifter52 about it, if he would be willing.

again thanks!!!

drifter52

REDACTED