News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Lewiston PA instructors only KD July 8 2017

Started by StevenK, July 10, 2017, 09:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenK

:snipersmi
AAR July 8th Instructor KD Lewistown PA - 12 of our terrific instructors  attended the event; they had followed all instructions in the event posting and showed up with rifles ready, bugs worked out, and plenty of rest. These men were motivated and all did well.  Five of the 12 qualified in the high winds present on this date;  the remainder were for the most part 1-4 hits away from a qualification; most importantly all showed up to the event, dedicated their weekend to our Country and our Appleseed Program, learned much, brought a great spirit, and had a good time. ^:)^

The weekend started on Friday Morning where SgtRock(DSB/Instructor for the event), Viet Vet (NorthEast Regional Coordinator), Josey Wales (NY/NJ Coordinator), Drifter 52, and Red Coat Rival arrived to set up the right side of the range  - StevenK (SB for the event) arrived afterwards and with their help set up the left side of the range. We then met for our traditional Italian Dinner at 7:30 until 9:30.  Next morning started at 0500 for some with sign in for the rest at 7:30.  All arrived on time and ready.  Grumpy 1 conducted a last minute vegetation removal obscuring some of the targets at the Right 400 yard line and, Red Coat Rival and StevenK (SB) posted the centers, and Roverace assisted with the sign-in for the event. instruction promptly commenced at 8:00 - 9:00 am.  The first shots were downrange within a few minutes after a short break. We did 7 sighters which, (from start/prep-to- return -from -downrange -to-start/prep -again) took approximately 6 minutes to 15 minutes with Mal and Chesty Puller transporting shooters in their vehicles. The SB instructed the men to move quickly though at a safe pace;   all times were logged and announced ~~:) - the shortest time returning from further downrange was 3:21 (Mal O0) and longest was 10:56 (a problem caused delay in return on one side).  This timing of the trips kept the group conscious of their pace; this focus was enforced so that the men wasted no time in their return. 

The first AQT was to have been done before lunch at 11:20; however, the wind kicked up to a strenuous level, :F and our Instructor SgtRock took that opportunity to give a detailed class in reading and adjusting for the wind. One of the IITs had brought several flags to the event, and these provided visual aids for the instruction along with the trees bending and the targets blowing off the backers.  The instruction ended 22 minutes later at 11:42, and the decision was then made to have a 1/2 hour lunch while the SB went downrange and repaired the damage from the latest gusts. The group resumed at 12:15 on the line and the first AQT was completed by 12:30.  Scoring was completed by 1:00, and we continued again with a second AQT, followed by a short comfort break. A Third AQT started at 2pm, a fourth at 2:45, a Rapid Fire AQT  :~ thereafter for the Fifth, followed by a Sixth at the normal pace by group request. :--- the SB administered short ten minute breaks throughout the day as needed, and individual breaks were encouraged at any time. The weather was hot and the SB advised on heat exhaustion/stroke - water drills were announced  @&) and water was handed out to each shooter.  The SB asked Grumpy 1, our Medical Lead (and appointed "Event Medical Director") to address the group again on the water issue; he gave the group an excellent additional reminder about dehydration and the possible mild to extreme medical consequences thereto attendant to dehydration.  Water/hydration was also emphasized  :DH: throughout the day in a variety of ways; (e.g.) qualified shooters were brought "front and center" so they could be recognized and given a celebratory bottle of water  -  all shooters were then asked to have a drink of water to "toast" the shooter; all cheerfully complied and thankfully we had no medical issues on that note.   

The event had a deliberate pace and focus - All shooters fell into a ready rhythm with prep, fire, clear, get to the trucks, return / toe the line when ready.  The shooters had clearly prepared their equipment beforehand, and therefore we moved with a deliberate sense of mission and purpose. During the AQTs winds were 15+ [for most of the day]  O0 - there were also lulls, followed by even stronger gusts in the mid afternoon.

Five (5) shooters qualified (Grumpy 1, Drifter 52, JamesT, Red Coat Rival, and Roverace). All others put in a good day at the range on this qualification. By 4PM the group was "done"  $$-0.  The SB asked for their preference, and all voted to have an hour of range time rather than complete another AQT.  This gave the group time to hit steel and reach for the targets beyond 400 yards.  One (1) shooter cleared a "full size redcoat" set up for the event. Our instructor for the event SgtRock, took this late afternoon opportunity to hit steel (again) at 1000 yards,  standing  :snipersmi (See photo); he hit the target,  making these things look quite easy. After that he gave yet another block of instruction on practical correction of specific rifle malfunctions. Everyone had alot of opportunity to shoot and instruction continued all day.

The group was safe, we had no issues to report, and we are all looking forward to a return in the Fall. New Procedures to make the event more efficient will include a limitation on zeroing with more than one rifle in the AM portion and a program requirement that all zero at distance will be completed by 11:00 with an AQT to then follow so that the first will be completed before lunch and we will also look into having a two day event starting Friday for the next shoot.

Thank you to the Shooters for taking time to attend this AS instructional event and obtain knowledge to share with students as we continue to help rebuild our Nation of Riflemen.

ChestyPuller

Thanks to SteveK and Sgt Rock for another great KD shoot, I had a great time shooting, it is always better than working.  :snipersmi

I can't wait for the next one, sign me up.

The New York guys were a hoot and great shooters too, they really livened up the group.  ^:)^

I made a new friend Nick who was having fun with his M1A with the new barrel.
First shot hit under time pressure is the goal of every rifleman.

VietVet

GREAT EVENT!!  O0

It was great to finally meet some of my Brother Instructors and share the time we did.

Special thanks to the Club that hosted this event and to StevenK and SgtRock for running what I'd label a "PERFECT SHOOT":bow:

Congrats to all involved especially to those who "Qualified".   ^:)^

I decided to attend at the last minute and made the trip with Josey Wales and Grumpy1. All of us from NY and so glad I did.
  I decided not to shoot due to nursing a bad back but enjoyed the entire event helping out on the line as an Instructor.
  Setting up Friday was something to see. Those who were there went out to set up the line and LUCKILY I stayed back to keep and eye on the gear that was left out. When I looked at the sky I saw this dark cloud moving in quickly. Well the sky opened up and the "RAIN" came down at such a heavy rate that those out on the Range literally disappeared into the heaviest rainfall I've seen since the monsoons in Viet Nam. No lie, it was unbelievable to say the least. No offense to those who were out there but it made me chuckle a little that I wasn't out there. Trust me if you saw it you'd understand.

If you've never attended one of these Shoots I STRONGLY suggest you don't miss the next one.

Thanks to all involved for a very enjoyable trip.

Hope to make the next one and hopefully I'll be up to shooting it.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

TOMINCT

Sorry I missed it, it was a great event last October, look forward to another there in the future.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

drifter52

Thanks to StevenK and SgtRock for another great KD shoot, and thanks to everyone attending for the camaraderie.  Good to see so much of the NY instructor cadre there.

VietVet's likening of Friday's rainstorm to the monsoons he experienced in Vietnam makes me doubly glad I wasn't called up in 1972.  I couldn't have been wetter if I'd jumped in a lake.  But that was Friday and the event on Saturday was excellent, especially working through the challenge of the swirling winds.  Overall a great day at the range.

Josey Wales

StevenK & SgtRock ran the KD event like a well oiled machine. I was glad to have attended and got a lot of work done on my M1a. Thanks to Hank my shooting neighbor for spotting. I made new friends and reacquainted with old friends. Western PA is beautifu. God Bless America!!

..Josey Wales..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

StevenK

:pics:

See below....

StevenK

More photos:

StevenK

More photos: (the phone allows only three at a time)

StevenK

More photos: includes "the rain" and Viet Vet giving some pointers to a "new shooter."

Chainsaw

Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

Boru

Great event. Special thanks to StephenK and StgRock
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

sgtrock

Thank you everyone for a most enjoyable weekend on this range.

Despite the rain on Friday setting up, the weather cleared to have a perfect shoot.
The temps were kept steady at around 80 by a nice breeze for most of the day.
When the wind picked up, we had a class in real time with the conditions, easily explained and understood, the wind plays tricky stuff in the mountain terrain in which most of us live
Learning to shoot in it is a fun thing to try and master, for it is never a constant.

Trying to pull off another shot at a 1000yds from the standing with my Garand is always fun to do, the rifle is extremely capable of doing it but the shooter just didn't connect, oh well, next time.

StevenK thought I hit it, but my spotters said otherwise. I'll get it again soon, it just a nice feeling to able to hold that steady.

I Would like to thank The Mifflin County Sportsmens Association, Inc. for allowing us to rent this range for our event, their hospitality is second to none.

One word of description for this range is Majestic, plain and simple.

I am hopeful that everyone had a good time and learned a little bit more to take with you and teach your students back at your home ranges in the future, that is what these shoots are all about, along with having a good time doing it.

I thought we had an outstanding group of men here this weekend, hope to see you all soon at our next shoot in November and we'll see about that thousand yard shot again.

sgtrock

Boru

:)
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

Grumpy1

Awesome Event

Many Thanks to StevenK and Sgt Rock, for a Great Event !  O0

Intense and Fun, this fast paced shoot was a Very Good experience. The course of fire was effective, and there was no time wasted, even with scoring targets and scheduled breaks.

It was Great to meet everyone, and work through challenges.

I can't wait until November :snipersmi

Hopefully my truck won't smell like a wet dog by then..... %)
Ninshos Battle Road IBC 6-13

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

ChestyPuller

we should switch sides grumpy you get the long bumpy road and I will take the smooth side this time  ..:..
First shot hit under time pressure is the goal of every rifleman.

Grumpy1

Quote from: ChestyPuller on July 20, 2017, 03:54:53 PM
we should switch sides grumpy you get the long bumpy road and I will take the smooth side this time  ..:..
Sounds like a plan O0
Ninshos Battle Road IBC 6-13

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson