News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Newark, Ohio July 8 & 9,2017

Started by Corvette, July 09, 2017, 09:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

We just completed a great Appleseed at Dillon Sportsman Center, in Newark, Ohio.  It was very much a "family" affair with a number of family groups in attendance. The full AAR will follow, this is just a placeholder for the full report.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Texas T

What a weekend at Dillon…Starting the day, Saturday, with 17 eager and willing shooters, all with teachable attitudes. The rains of the previous day were but a distant memory, along with the fallen trees that had blocked the roads to the range, less than 24 hours earlier. But, with the efforts put forth by the road department, nothing could stand in our way.

Saturday morning dawned clear and dry, and the weather held for the entire weekend. To get things started, after the safety briefing, we took on the morning Redcoat. Nine of our team scored on the 100-yard target, two took it out to 300-yards, and one scored at 400. Five of the team joined Daniel Morgan and Mike cleared all thirteen shots, showing the others that it could, indeed, be done!

Working through instruction on steady-hold, the six-steps to firing the shot and NPOA, several squares were worked over, sights were adjusted, and the team was ready to take on the AQT. It didn't take long for folks to start stepping forward to collect their patches. By the end of the event, we had two who had re-qualified, and three new Riflemen.

Hats off to our newest riflemen, John, Daniel and Mike. Well done to Matt and Chewie for the requal.

We took a few breaks from the line on Saturday, in order for Corvette to share the three strikes. It's hard to envision a better presentation, when it comes from one who shows such passion, taking it so far as to dress the part and carrying his musket, powder horn and bayonet.

Scores on the Saturday afternoon Redcoat were even more respectable than what had been seen in the morning. We now had three taking down the 400-yard target.

Sunday morning, we raised the bar and six qualified with Daniel Morgan, and two cleared all thirteen rounds.
During our afternoon break on Sunday, we celebrated our future by recognizing the half-dozen youth who had stuck it out for the entire event. Huzzah!

We ended our time together with a little competition, to see which team could put the most rounds on the center square of a sighter target. Each member of a two-person team got to take ten shots, giving a potential score of twenty hits for each team. As it turned out, we had a team of Mom and Dad against "the youth". Guess who won? Mom and Dad scored fifteen out of twenty, to take the overall high score and the prize of a matched set of Tactical Trigger Training Devices (Official Appleseed pens).

As a side-note, one target was found to be quivering so hard that it nearly shook itself off the backer. Of twenty rounds, none hit the black square. However, all twenty rounds were within an inch of the black, and they had it completely surrounded. What talent it must have taken to be able to nearly shoot out the black without ever touching it. I hope that someone has a picture that they can post, so that others can experience the wonder of it all.

We had a couple of major accomplishments at the event. Mike scored Rifleman on four AQTs, with a high score of 237. Way to go, Mike!

Chewie also did very well, requalifying three times. I think it's about time to consider trading in that Blue Hat for one of different color.

By the end of the weekend, Mike not only qualified on his four AQTs, but he also cleared all four attempts at the Redcoat, a feat that is seldom accomplished, and one that no instructor at the event had ever had the opportunity to witness. Congrats to Mike!! Well Done.

Our thanks go out to Dillon for sharing your wonderful range with us. We enjoyed it and look forward to coming back in the fall.

I was a little busy with my duties as SBIT, so I wasn't able to take many pictures. I did see a few other phones out, so if there are other pictures out there, feel free to post them…
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

:pics:

So, with that in mind...

Trying out new skills from standing.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Trying to remember everything at the same time. It's like drinking from a fire hose!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Two AQTs, two Rifleman scores. Only the first two, though. More to come...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

More skills learned, more practice...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

By Sunday, we were working on perfecting positions...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Another of our new Riflemen...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Accompanied by clearing a Redcoat

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Thanks to everyone for helping to make this a very special weekend.

MI IBC, February 2017

barracode

Corvette,

This is Chuck with the AR.  Thanks so much for help with my sight this weekend.  Sorry for stinking up your line.  It turns out we were experiencing some Parallax with that Red Dot:

https://youtu.be/NNrOetjzme4

Had I switched to the iron sight I would have been fine.  At any rate I learned so much in just two days.  Thank you so much for taking the time to teach us the fundamentals.  I feel much more comfortable with my rifle and now have something to build upon at the range.  I also much appreciated the history (heritage) lesson.  It was my favorite part actually. 

Congratulations Texas T.  It was an honor to be there when you received your new hat. 

Keep up the good work fellas!

n2omike

This is 'Mike'...  the red (and gray) headed guy who invaded the place with a minivan full of five people, including three kids who were beginners, and a girlfriend who hadn't shot a gun until this spring! 

It was an amazing weekend!  Texas T and Corvette put on a Great Event!  I've never seen people as passionate about what they do, and Corvette is a wonderful story teller!  Very nice, approachable pair! 

Our crew of FIVE felt very welcomed, despite most of us requiring a LOT of personal instruction.  All the instructors maintained positive attitudes (better than I could have done...  lol) and were extremely helpful! 

We had never done an Appleseed before, and had never even heard of it until reading about it on the Rimfire Central forum.  It was a very worthwhile experience, and we'd like to do it again sometime! 

Thanks Guys!   :F
If you like Liberty, Cars, Guns and Dirt Bikes, we'll get along great!

Corvette

n20Mike,

It was our pleasure to work with your entire group.  It is family groups like yours that keeps us working events and spending our weekends teaching marksmanship and preaching about the high cost of liberty.

As to coming again, why don't we make it easy on you and talk to your home range about hosting an Appleseed.  I will gladly drive down and run it and I can probably get some instructors from Ohio or PA to make the trip as well.  And, since that will be your second event and you have shot Rifleman, you can take an Orange hat and together we can start building an Appleseed team in your area of WVA. 

Just a thought.

Corvette.
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Texas T

Count me in, as well. More than willing to take a drive down into beautiful West Virginia.  O0    :snipersmi

MI IBC, February 2017

Badge54

This was my third for myself. Second for my son and a half weekend for my wife. Always a great time

.  I learned more about my equipment this weekend than I really wanted to.  My rifle had problems at different times from the actionscrew coming loose to the base under the rings being rattle loose on Sunday. By the time I figured it out I had made adjustments and my wife was shooting it. She was having a tough time grouping with a loose scope. Her rifle was down because it wouldn't feed anything. I found a burr in the mouth of the chamber and a chipped extractor. My son was shooting g great the. Fell apart. He had changed the power setting on his scope and experienced a shift. He didn't know why but finished saunday using hold off to try to hit his target.

That sounds like a bunch of excuses but we all started out grouping small in the black. My son had shot a 211 on his practice AQTband was really excited about Sunday coming.

When I got home I started going through the guns one at a time. Mine has been locktited back together.  My wife's barrel chamber has the burr out and the chamber polished and a new Kidd extractor. And my son gets a new Vortex rimfire scope. The last T&$*O definitely moved the point of aim with the power rings. Cheap scopes are just that! 

After all that We are out for retribution and have scheduled us all for the October shoot. See you there 

goodoldfriend

Badge 54,

Persistence, that is what makes a Rifleman.

Way to go, keep at it.
1st Appleseed 11/23/2012, Crittenden, KY
2nd Appleseed 7/16/2016, Wilmington, OH
3rd Appleseed 10/2/2016, Newark, OH
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Corvette

Badge 54

One thing that Appleseeds do is ring out your equipment.  It will show the weaknesses.  I look forward to seeing all of you at the October event.  We will go for it again and I am sure your team will step up and meet the challenge of the AQT. 

For what it is worth.  It took me 5 Appleseeds before I was able to make the grade.  And that was only because a 15 year old female instructor beat me with her crutch everytime I did something wrong.  Persist, it will make achieving your patch all that much more special.

Corvette.

n2omike

Quote from: Corvette on July 13, 2017, 06:57:25 PM
n20Mike,

It was our pleasure to work with your entire group.  It is family groups like yours that keeps us working events and spending our weekends teaching marksmanship and preaching about the high cost of liberty.

As to coming again, why don't we make it easy on you and talk to your home range about hosting an Appleseed.  I will gladly drive down and run it and I can probably get some instructors from Ohio or PA to make the trip as well.  And, since that will be your second event and you have shot Rifleman, you can take an Orange hat and together we can start building an Appleseed team in your area of WVA. 

Just a thought.

Corvette.

If I can find a group or venue to take this on, I'd like to try and set something up.  The gun range I use isn't big enough for very many people. 

As for getting ready...  I recommend doing a THOROUGH cleaning/tightening of everything...  removing scopes, making sure everything is tight, bases, mounts, action screw that holds the action to the stock, etc.  Then, take it to the range to sight it in with the ammo that will be used at the event at 25 meters, and PUT IT IN THE CASE.  Do not clean it again.  Simply put it in the case, and take it to the event. 

This way, it should be ready to run though enough ammo, and be sighted in. 

I still had trouble with the two guns of mine that had aftermarket barrels.  Seems aftermarket barrels often have tight chambers that need cleaned more frequently.  Some recommend a wire brush for a 7mm bent to where it can be inserted to clean the chamber area every so often. 

The guns my better half and I used were the Ruger VLEH, or the 'target tactical' with the 16" Ruger Hammer Forged Bull barrels.  These shot like crap in the factory Hogue Rubber overmold stocks, but came to LIFE with the Arch Angel adjustable stocks.  The barrels would free float in these stocks.  I also used the barrel pressure pad that comes with them.  Used it in the closest position with 1/4 turn of preload.  These stocks truly transformed the rifles into SHOOTERS.  We're talking one ragged hole at 25 meters. 

Only thing with these stocks, is the mag well on both had to be ground/filed out before the magazine would freely fall out when the release was pushed.  It was hard to remove the mag before the clearancing was done.  But, it doesn't really affect the looks, as the stock is the color of the plastic, so the finish doesn't 'grind off'.  I'd use a large file or a die grinder.  (with action removed)

Good Luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProMag-Archangel-Ruger-10-22-Precision-Stock-Desert-Tan-AAP1022-DT-/302167055190?hash=item465a8f5b56:g:wP8AAOSwSv1Xj7CG

If you like Liberty, Cars, Guns and Dirt Bikes, we'll get along great!

Corvette

n20mike,

If you need any information or help putting an event together in WVA, let me know and I will be happy to work with you. 

Feel free to PM me with your needs.

Corvette

JustaShooter

Quote from: n2omike on July 31, 2017, 02:53:10 PM
Only thing with these stocks, is the mag well on both had to be ground/filed out before the magazine would freely fall out when the release was pushed.  It was hard to remove the mag before the clearancing was done.  But, it doesn't really affect the looks, as the stock is the color of the plastic, so the finish doesn't 'grind off'.  I'd use a large file or a die grinder.  (with action removed)

I've had to do the same with several stocks, both factory and aftermarket.  I used a large file and took it slowly, checking fit frequently.
Christian, Husband, Father
Rifleman

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor