News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

FL, Jan 28, 2018 Bootcamp - Camping gear suggestions

Started by Marquis de M, May 27, 2017, 01:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marquis de M

Please excuse off topic question...

I have no camping gear  :sos: but want to get it together by next Bootcamp to survive the week at the IDMR. Would appreciate camping gear suggestions!

Thank you!
---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---

TheMenace

It's a great question. You came to the right place. I suggest you build lists to start. Look at what the outdoor stores have to offer. Choose items for utility and quality. You don't need a lot of gadgets. Unpack and try everything at home. Plan a one night outing in a nearby campground as a shakedown cruise when you think you have it all together. Have fun!
Shelter
  Tent  (I like one I can stand in)
  Ground cloth--tarp (i put one inside and one under my tent)
  Sleeping bag -- Zero Degree Rated
  Blanket/quilt
  Air mattress or pad or cot
  Folding table
  Lantern
  Pop-up awning (Optional)
Food Prep
  Ice chest
  Stove & fuel
  Skillet
  Pot
  Coffee pot or kettle
  Water jug
  Cooking utensils
  Eating Utensils
Hygiene

Let's see what others suggest
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

B.C.

Greetings! It will more than likely be cold that time of year, two years ago I believe it was hovering around 25-30 degrees at night. Let me tell you from experience you get what you pay for when buying gear. I would stay away from a air mattress and get a oversize comfortable cot to get you off the ground. I did the air mattress thing a time or two and was regretting it every night for a whole week. Go with a list like this:

Large high quality 6-8 man tent with sealed seams. If you spend less than 200 it's junk.
A pop up canopy to put over your tent
Oversize large and expensive cot
0 degree sleeping bag and blankets
A nice pillow or two (the rifleman needs a good night's sleep)
Led lantern, head light or flashlights
Portable folding table
Water containers
French press and a HUGE bag of coffee
Camp stove and cups / dishes / pot and pan
Don't forget the silverware
Foul weather gear
A couple of bath towels
Coolers filled with food for a week
Battery phone charger

Be prepared to bundle up at night, it's most uncomfortable to wake up freezing. Camping in cold nights is just fine providing you have the proper gear and you're prepared for it. A mummy bag works well.

More importantly than all that, bring a lot of ammo.
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

TheMenace

I concur with Big Chris' recommendations. One note: the cot is the best choice but since you aren't 6-6, 250, a "normal" size should do. Additional thoughts: My tent has a fly over the top that keeps the top dry or almost so. If you only have one awning it should be over your kitchen table. Sleeping bags are rated for a temp you will survive the night while not so comfortable. If temps are expected in the 20's you want a zero degree rating. The extra blanket works to extend the range or act as a top cover if the temp rises. Sleeping bags can get very warm and restrictive, doubly so with mummy bags. I sleep in clean wool socks that go into my cold boots in the morning.  Naturally a folding chair or stool is recommended unless your mother allowed you to eat standing up--mine didn't. A Rubbermaid dish pan is handy for clean up and bathing. A box of baby wipes or One Wipe Charlies is a must. Walmart is only 30 minutes away so you can restock on perishables mid-week. Next...
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

Marquis de M

Thank you so much guys! Seems like I have some ways to go... But, thinking about the $ I dropped on the hotel and food AND missing out on great evening bonfire chats, I believe it's time to rethink my overnighting capabilities since I have the impression that there are many great Bootcamps to come!
Again, thank you for your advice! It is truly appreciated! I'll probably add a propane heater for the AM when getting up... I hate to freeze!
---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---