News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Talladega CMP, AL April 15th 2017 Known Distance

Started by Maximum Ordinate, April 16, 2017, 11:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

On Saturday, 16 shooters joined us to celebrate Patriots' Day at a one-day Known Distance Clinic.  The weather was as fine as could be.  All of our shooters were prior Appleseeders!  We had shooters join us from Texas, Ohio, Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts, and Sweet Home Alabama!  Because this was a one-day clinic, we moved swiftly to make good use of our time.

We spent a little time in the classroom and moved right to the 100 yard range for sighters and practice standing!  Ramblin' Wreck gave some tips on how to  perfect the standing position.  After a bit of practice, we were seeing lots of 9/10 and 10/10s on Stage 1!

We hustled to the "big range" and had lunch right at the firing line.  During lunch, the instructor team did a Flag Tour, sharing the history behind each of our 11 flags.  Then, it was back to shooting!  We did sighters at 200 and 300 and shot some more AQT stages.

Before we moved out to 600, we spent some time talking about wind.  We were fortunate to have Don Rutherford from the CMP as a guest speaker.  Mr. Rutherford is one of the best wind readers in the world and is so cheerful about sharing his experience.  Then, we stretched out to 600 yards!

We got in four AQTs... and had TWO NEW RIFLEMEN!!  Congratulations to:

Brad   O0
Mark    O0

Mark has been persevering in the true spirit of a Rifleman and it was awesome to see him make it!

Our other KD Riflemen were:

Shawn - AKA Tellico - requalified as expected with his 30 caliber rifle!
Ashley - who posted highest score of the day with a 46/50, clearing stage 4 at 600 yards!  ^:)^
Dwight - AKA ThreeOEight - who came all the way from Florida to learn how to shoot KD!   >:D
Micah - who came from Texas and qualified on ALL FOUR AQTs!
Greg - who put up a very solid 44/50.  Huzzah!

Even those who didn't quite get there this time had great improvement!!  I'm proud of each and every shooter.

Instructors joined the students at the end of the day with a solemn Volley for Liberty and awarding Patriots' Day patches!

It's always a pleasure to shoot at the Talladega Marksmanship Park and we are grateful to their staff for hosting us!  It was our pleasure to serve the shooters this weekend and I hope to see each of you on the line again soon!

-Rusty

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

navybowhunter

AWESOME! 

You all are blessed to be so close to shoot at that facility!

R/
Chris

Mixed Metaphor

HUZZAH!!  It was a perfect day for a shoot!  The CMP personnel took great care of us, as always.  The shooters were experienced and, I believe, enjoyed the day.  I had blast working with Yankee in the afternoon!  I think we had 16 shooters from 5 different states (including Sweet Home Alabama).  I always love meeting new people and Appleseeders are great people.

It is always a great pleasure to work with (for) the best Shoot Bosses and Instructors ever.  :bow: Maximum Ordinate, Ramblin' Wreck and Google never fail to teach me!  I can't thank them enough for the mentorship and guidance.  :bow:
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama

Ramblin' Wreck

We had a great time as always at the CMP range. It's always fun watching doubt (can I really shoot stage 4 at 600 yards) turn to confidence when the holes appear exactly where they should be.

We had shooters come from as far away as Texas, Florida, Boston Mass, and Toledo Ohio including the "locals" from Alabama and Georgia.

We'll do this again at CMP Tallagega with a 2 day event in June. Y'all think about joining us.

Ramblin' Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: navybowhunter on April 16, 2017, 01:15:13 PM
AWESOME! 

You all are blessed to be so close to shoot at that facility!

R/
Chris

We are blessed indeed.  I hope you can make it down sometime soon!
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

GDawg

This was my first Known Distance Clinic but it will not be my last!!! The CMP Park is worth the trip if you can make it. Our instructors were top notch. Thanks to each of you for your time and expertise.

If you get in a hurry and forget to adjust your "come ups" from one distance to another, you will not like your score. Ask me how I know  ;D
But with 4 AQT's I was able to redeem myself even with stage 4 at 600 yds. I had my doubts about solid hits with the unpredictable wind, but the instruction and perseverance paid off with my first "Long Range" rocker.

Thanks again. You guys are awesome!!!

-Greg