News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Went shootin' today...

Started by Ricochet Rabbit, April 15, 2017, 11:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet Rabbit

The family went out to the ODNR range at Grand River today and we had a grand old time shootin'. We had a little rain, but, overall, it was a beautiful day for it.

I fixed the trigger on the Remington, mounted a new scope with a rail, and did some accuracy testing (see the write up in the rifle knowledge page).

The scope for my AR came in the mail while we were at the New Philadelphia Appleseed, so I got it mounted. It's a Primary Arms FFP 4-14x44 with a Primary Arms extended base:

Jonathan cleared a couple of redcoats and he is loving it. I guess it looks a little ridiculous on that carbine, but whatever, it works.

I was able to put the Bushnell back on my Ruger. I got some lower rings for it, and it's mounted about as low as it can go:

Jennifer absolutely loved it and she was doing some serious shooting today. She's getting more comfortable working the bolt and I think she will be using this rifle next month in Orwell. Julie did some shooting with it too and was getting some good result as well.

All-in-all, it was a great day at the range. Topped it all off with a stop into Mary Yoder's for some good Amish cooking  :F
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption
of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the
Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Charles McKinley

Hi St8,

That AR looks about like mine does.  I'm looking forward to see the review on that scope.  You did so we'll with the Tech-sites I'm surprised you took them off.

With your coaching Jennifer will do great with the RAR.  You may want to build the comb up some.

We're looking forward to seeing you and the family back on the line.

Chuck
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Corvette

I expect great things from all three of you at Orwell I see patches in your futures.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Rev.357

Good to hear from you st8space. How did your first Appleseed go?
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

Ricochet Rabbit

Quote from: Rev.357 on April 17, 2017, 10:01:51 PM
Good to hear from you st8space. How did your first Appleseed go?

It went extremely well. The kids and I got some great marksmanship and heritage instruction and we got a lot of shooting in to boot. It was a perfect, family experience.

As to scores, the kids never managed rifleman, but they are well on their way and they'll have some more opportunities next month in Orwell. I scored rifleman on each of the 4 AQTs. We also got to ping some steel out to 300 yards and the kids got to shoot an M1.

On top of all that, we met some great people. The instructors were top-notch, great Americans. And the shooters were great too. Jonathan was shooting a centerfire, so he was down the line from us and he had a great time hanging out with a longtime Appleseed guy named Bill. It was just an all-around good time.
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Rev.357

I often like to ask, which did you like most the rifle or the history? I should be asking rifle history or the people. I am always reminded of when Elijah sat under a juniper tree and complained he was the only one who still contended for God. He was then told there were 7,000 in Israel who were keeping up the fight. So notwithstanding the great people, which is it the rifle or the history?

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1

Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

Ricochet Rabbit

Quote from: Rev.357 on April 18, 2017, 11:04:32 AM
I often like to ask, which did you like most the rifle or the history? I should be asking rifle history or the people. I am always reminded of when Elijah sat under a juniper tree and complained he was the only one who still contended for God. He was then told there were 7,000 in Israel who were keeping up the fight. So notwithstanding the great people, which is it the rifle or the history?

It depends  ;)  My favorite answer.  So, would I prefer two days of history versus two days of shooting? I would certainly answer two days of activity, i.e., the shooting. However, if you asked if I prefer two days of shooting with the history versus two days of shooting without the history, I definitely prefer it with the history. The two simply complement each other and make for a much more interesting weekend. What's more, I feel that the history is essential, so if not Appleseed, then where?

As an aside, I design, develop, and deliver technical training professionally. My class time is typically divided into approximately 60% to 70% hands-on labs and/or activities with 30% to 40% of lecture and discussion. And this is throughout the day, typically by the hour, so the students tend to be more engaged and on their toes, without a lot of nodding off. In my experience, this makes for more effective and more popular instruction. This is probably not the simple answer you were seeking, but there it is  :)

Nashville Stage

It sounds like the ratio of shooting to instruction & history is in the ballpark of what you prefer, correct?
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Ricochet Rabbit

Quote from: Nashville Stage on April 18, 2017, 11:13:50 PM
It sounds like the ratio of shooting to instruction & history is in the ballpark of what you prefer, correct?

Honestly, I was pretty preoccupied, it being my first Appleseed, and worrying about the kids and their experience. But yes, I'd say it was a good ratio of instruction to hands-on.

Rev.357

Simple answer? May non, mons amis. Parsimonious and cogent answers, and yours is both . I love  experiencial education.

A very good answer: Cogent, well reasoned, and well expressed. Keep coming to Appleseeds. I suspect we may have plans for you.