News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

SACRAMENTO, CA APRIL 8-9, 2017

Started by NorCal22Gal, April 13, 2017, 01:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorCal22Gal

Wind, rain, thunder and sun.  This was the making of a wonderful Appleseed weekend in Sacramento.

Saturday started out sunny and breezy, then turned cloudy and breezy.   Wasn't long before it was raining.

22 started out the day in the sun. 

We started out with the safety briefing and had a trio of military helicopters fly over toward the end...a very cool sight to see.

Once the rain started, a few folks departed, but stated they would be back the next day.  The ones who remained soaked up knowledge as well as a bit of water. 

The rain stopped for a bit just about lunch time.  It was nice to tell the strikes with the sun on our backs.

Back on the line we worked to finish up our teaching before the next round of showers came through.  The sun came back out later in the afternoon, just in time for an AQT and the final Red Coat.

It was wonderful to see the folks who toughed it out do very well.  No Rifleman scores on Saturday, but lots of nice scores, including a couple over 200.

Sunday was nice and sunny and a bit breezy.

17 returned to work on the fine tuning of Saturday's teaching.

We did the Memorial Volley after lunch.  A few folks brought out their center fires and a few instructors joined in the fun.  It was an amazing sound and an amazing tribute to those brave men.

Vinnie brought out his musket and gave a short demonstration followed by a few folks getting to fire it.  Always great to watch.

We began the AQT's and it was clear that there were some very determined folks on our line.  Matt repeated his Rifleman with a 211, first score of the day.  He followed that up with a 224.  Rhett soon posted a 235 followed up with a  217. Greg posted a 230 and a 221.  Ryan posted a very nice 212 and Brett rounded out the group with a very nice 215. 

There were amazing scores through out the day.  I know a bit more practice and some of those will be Rifleman scores.

Matt decided to join the Appleseed family with an orange hat.  Welcome aboard Matt! 

Despite the damp weather on Saturday, this was a wonderful event.  People's attitudes were amazing, even in the rain. 

Thank you to everyone for coming out and participating.

Thank you also to all who were able to stay and help us tear down and clean up.  It is much appreciated.

Thank you to my instructors for coming out and helping me make this a great event.

Your Instructors:

Laurie         NorCal22Gal  shoot boss
Joe         eaglescouter
Vinnie         Vinnie
Linda         Ducky
Steve         TallSteve
April         April 6 Showers
Elliott         WinterRider
Chirs         Pathogen

TallSteve

Great Write-up! :-)

Saturday reminded me of the saying "There is no bad weather, just bad gear".  It was a great day for Gore-Tex. 

I have never shot in conditions as wet as Saturday.  Those that stuck around showed Great Dedication and Persistence.  And they continued to smile.  We all continued to smile.  This was a great event to be part of. 

Thank you to all the shooters and instructors that made this a memorable event. 

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees*. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Ducky

I'd like to chime in, and say that I was very happy to see that the youngsters who participated this weekend--Izzy and Alex--stuck with it and showed perseverance all weekend long, despite our nasty weather on Saturday.  That quality is a major ingredient in the recipe of good marksmanship, and I want to congratulate you both for showing it.   O0

Thank you all, for helping make the weekend enjoyable and worthwhile--it's rewarding for us to see your improvements and increasing enthusiasm.  Congratulations and HUZZAH!!! to our new Riflemen,  ^:)^ and a big welcome to Matt, our new Instructor-in-Training!

I hope you enjoy the pictures that Vinnie just posted--I'm sorry if we missed anyone. (That just means you have to come back again and see us again!  :1luvu )

Happy trails,
Ducky

Freedom, in a political context, means freedom from government coercion. It does not mean freedom from the landlord, or freedom from the employer, or freedom from the laws of nature which do not provide men with automatic prosperity. It means freedom from the coercive power of the state, and nothing else.--Ayn Rand

HeyApple

What a great event this was.  My wife and daughter had a great time and persisted through the rain on Saturday.  For myself the rain added another element of instruction.  I have never experienced shooting in pouring rain.  Shooting a soaking rifle with water obstructing vision through sights/scope proved to add some challenge but really forced you to zone out everything else an focus on firing the shot.  The whether improved Sunday we had many new Riflemen.  Congratulations to all.

Thank you to all of the instructors for all the time and effort.  The musket demo was really a great experience.  I hope to help out more now that I acquired this new orange hat.   O0