News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Richmond area Libertyseed

Started by The Wolfhound, March 23, 2017, 09:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wolfhound

Got anyone you want to hear "The Story"?  Can't drag them out for a weekend? Why not bring them to hear it on the anniversary!  Yes indeed, there will be a Libertyseed at the Gayton Kirk, Presbyterian Church, 11421 Gayton Rd. Henrico, Virginia 23238 on Wednesday April 19th. 2017,  The presentation will begin at 7:30PM following the Taize Service.  Presenters expected are "Dangerous Cook" and "The Wolfhound".  This venue will allow a bit more Audio/Visual presentation than we manage on the range.  As always our presentation is suitable for all ages but may run a bit late into the evening.  I have promised not to reach as far back as the "Code of Hammurabi" for my deep history in explaining the causes.

misawa

Is there a Facebook or Eventbrite event for this?  I have several in our homeschool group that are interested in Appleseeds but just can't commit a weekend at this point.  I would love to try and get them to this if possible.

Another question I just thought of - for those with kids too young, is there any childcare available?

The Wolfhound

No need for Eventbrite since reservations are not needed.  The info should be up on our Facebook page.  I am not sure since I do not do Facebook.  Getting those folks to hear the story is the whole idea.  I am not sure about child care.  it is worth looking into.  I will see what we can do.

misawa

Ok - I'll scour Facebook land for it and share it with our homeschool groups when I get a chance. 

I plan to be there and will likely bring the 9 year old birthday boy.  If you need an extra set of hands I'm more than willing to pitch in.

Monkey

Quote from: misawa on March 28, 2017, 12:24:03 PM
Ok - I'll scour Facebook land for it and share it with our homeschool groups when I get a chance. 

I plan to be there and will likely bring the 9 year old birthday boy.  If you need an extra set of hands I'm more than willing to pitch in.

I crashed the work computer while trying to upload pictures for building the event in FB.  Will be up shortly.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Monkey

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

misawa

I'd say this was a win.  I didn't do an overall headcount, but I know at least 8 or 9 of us were lined up outside the door prior to the start.  Several from Taize service stuck around as well. 

Job well done Team Fisher.

The Wolfhound

We put the headcount at 20-25.  Most were from the church and the next contingent were from Appleseeders.  I "THINK" we had a few walk ins from the radio coverage but I am not sure.

Monkey

― Hyman G. Rickover

Rev.357

This format has huge potential. What did you cover, and how long did it take? Were there any interactive activities? What would you add, subtract, or do different?

Great work!
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

The Wolfhound

Monkey: regrettably there are no pictures as we were both busy with the story.

Rev.357: It was the basic 3 Strikes of the Match told over about 90 minutes.  The only interactive things were the maps deployed.  There was a particular challenge that the church had a service immediately prior to the event, so setup had to be speedy.  Otherwise I would have welcomed the grout with Steve Martin's "Me and Paul Revere" via YouTube.  We chose an oral telling of the stories in particular Dangerous Cook going into character as witness Abigale Brown for the Second Strike.  Abigale was the wife of David Brown, who captained one of the Concord Minuteman units, and who lived at the foot of the North Bridge.  The Brown family were paid keepers of the North Bridge.
We broke up the duties as follows:
Welcome: Dangerous Cook
Deep history (how we got here) and the First Strike: The Wolfhound
Second Strike: Dangerous Cook
Third Strike: The Wolfhound
Battle for Public Opinion: Dangerous Cook
Sam Whittemore: The Wolfhound
David Lamson: The Wolfhound handing off
Mother Bathrick: Dangerous Cook
Hezekiah Wyman: Dangerous Cook

Dangerous Cook and I have a habit of telling the Lamson/Batherick stories as connected handing off the fleeing Grenadiers from one tale to begin the next. She usually tells Bathrick in character. it has become our shtick.

Rev.357

If you covered that much in that little time, you clearly have the material pat. There is a lot of flash in covering the material with such an upbeat cadence coupled with some first person viewpoint, so holding their attention for 90 minutes is no problem.

As to deep history, what points do cover? What is your average time for presenting a first strike, and how much of that time is devoted to deep history?  (BTW: If Guntuckian or any other of you loreslingers are reading, same question.)

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1

Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

The Wolfhound

I stand guilty of taking too long on the First Strike.  A Virginia Corps joke is that I start with the Code of Hammurabi.  Truthfully I worked hard to trim the backstory to about 5 minutes for 1500-1763.  1763-1775 was about another 10. April 18- Lexington Green took me about another 20-25 minutes.  Paring the story down and not including too much detail is my greatest challenge.  I know I mentioned Joseph Warren, Paul Revere, William Dawes, Thomas Gage, Jesse Adair, William Dimond, Joshua Simmons, Jonathon Harrington, John Parker, John Pitcairn and Francis Smith.  So many great people stories, so little time.

misawa

I thought the story flowed quite well.  The pacing worked and kept my new 9 year old engaged the whole time, despite being after his usual bedtime of 8pm.

Rev.357

Thanks. That helps. I'm trying to work out a first strike.

I'm with you on back history, unfortunately. I'm convinced that without the printing press, the protestant reformation, and the protestant doctrine of universal priesthood: the American Revolution would not have happened. I doubt I even touch on any of that. I plan to begin with the Mayflower Compact. It formalized a way of doing business.  So when word went out, the citizenry met in the churchyard to discuss and decide what to do. The problem is that when I go into the deep history, I dive in and never resurface.

I also seem to be developing a bad case of usedacoulda. I used to be able to prepare then memorise then present.  Now I forget a main point then circle around to pick it up,  and end up telling the story twice. So my plan is overwhelming preparation.

The time allotments for time periods makes sense, and allows the teller to think "have I covered everything so far," before moving forward.

Thanks again. Keep up the good work.