News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ladyseed May 6-7 @ CFRPC in Orlando

Started by Minutemom, March 22, 2017, 04:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minutemom

Hear ye, hear ye!  The 4th Florida Ladyseed is officially on the books!

May 6-7 in Orlando - Central Florida Rifle & Pistol Club

All ladies of every hat color are hereby requested to attend!  Let's grow our Ladyseed program!   ^:)^  Big thanks to Rambo Granny, xsquidgator, and Mr Pete for helping to make this happen! 
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

308LIBERTY

Here's a flyer, subject to review by you ladies. Specially requested by Rambo Granny ;)
I wasn't sure who to put for the local contact, at the bottom, so it just has the default info.
Sorry, I don't have it in MSW yet, as the two of us don't get along very well. If any of you wishes to reformat it for MSW or another app, you can do so, as you see fit.
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

rambo granny

Yes...we need to expand the ladies program to tap more students & make more female cadre.
Long term, doing these near other population centers & places to stay needs to happen.
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

smoakingun

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

TheMenace

Great opportunity following so close on the heels of the CFRPC Ladies' Day April 8th.

I wonder how many shooters will be allowed? Typical AS in Orlando is only ten shooters. I looked on the Events Calendar and TIPS but don't see it scheduled yet.

I'm working with the A Girl & A Gun group in Melbourne/Titusville/West Palm to hold a private shoot for them. Not a Ladyseed by name but in function. They could turn out as many as 15 ladies. If there is room at CFRPC they may choose to attend there.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

308LIBERTY

Maybe try and run it, doing relays, and double the capacity to 20 shooters?

Quote from: TheMenace on March 23, 2017, 12:17:49 PM
Great opportunity following so close on the heels of the CFRPC Ladies' Day April 8th.

I wonder how many shooters will be allowed? Typical AS in Orlando is only ten shooters. I looked on the Events Calendar and TIPS but don't see it scheduled yet.

I'm working with the A Girl & A Gun group in Melbourne/Titusville/West Palm to hold a private shoot for them. Not a Ladyseed by name but in function. They could turn out as many as 15 ladies. If there is room at CFRPC they may choose to attend there.
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

Minutemom

Quote from: smoakingun on March 23, 2017, 12:05:24 PM
i suppose i am expected to cook?

Smoak, you know we need you!!  Not only for your cooking skills, but also your gunsmithing skills, your encouragement, and your laughter!  Please come!
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

Minutemom

I've never worked a shoot where we had to run relays, but my thought is that the pace of a Ladyseed is on the slow side anyway, and this will slow it down even further.  I think that 10 shooters is actually a good number, given the limited number of lady instructors in the state.  It also lends itself more to camaraderie amongst the shooters, which I believe is super important for a Ladyseed.  What do you think RG?  We'll just have to have more Ladyseeds!

Thank you for the flyer, Three'oEight - it look great!   

Quote from: Three'oEight on March 23, 2017, 12:42:54 PM

308LIBERTY

Thanks. Just don't start printing them yet, til a few people have had a chance to do some proofing. I'm only human, most of the time, and I just noticed a small typo already.

Quote from: Minutemom on March 23, 2017, 02:10:02 PM
I've never worked a shoot where we had to run relays, but my thought is that the pace of a Ladyseed is on the slow side anyway, and this will slow it down even further.  I think that 10 shooters is actually a good number, given the limited number of lady instructors in the state.  It also lends itself more to camaraderie amongst the shooters, which I believe is super important for a Ladyseed.  What do you think RG?  We'll just have to have more Ladyseeds!

Thank you for the flyer, Three'oEight - it look great!   

Quote from: Three'oEight on March 23, 2017, 12:42:54 PM

Cable___Guy

Erica and I will be there. Grandma to the rescue.
I have 2 pop up canopies to bring.  We can All brainstorm at CFRPC ladies day on what we should Bring.  :F
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

Minutemom

Yaye Grandma!  Glad you two can be there!  I also have a pop up canopy if needed.

Quote from: Cable___Guy on March 23, 2017, 03:26:38 PM
Erica and I will be there. Grandma to the rescue.
I have 2 pop up canopies to bring.  We can All brainstorm at CFRPC ladies day on what we should Bring.  :F

9mm4545

Minutemom

Thanks Bruce!  Signed up for SBit (gulp!)  #)

JustKim

Flier looks AWESOME:
A special patch for those who can past (should be pass) the test
Founding Mother's - s/b Mothers'
My quick scan found nothing else.
I'm still debating on staying over for the weekend.  Either way - I know it will be a great event!!!

ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

308LIBERTY

Thanks. Yep, I caught the word "pass." I never would have noticed the misplaced apostrophe. LOL.

Quote from: JustKim on March 23, 2017, 05:54:57 PM
Flier looks AWESOME:
A special patch for those who can past (should be pass) the test
Founding Mother's - s/b Mothers'
My quick scan found nothing else.
I'm still debating on staying over for the weekend.  Either way - I know it will be a great event!!!

rambo granny

Re the number of students for the first Orlando Ladyseed and relays....🏁

Until we get more female cadre this will be a challenge at every event as the lady cadre we do have is also spread over a very large state. Really appreciate both guys & gals being interested in seeing this project grow and offering help. hHuzzah.

As of now, here is who is definitely committed for Orlando Ladyseed May 6-7 so far:
Minutemom  (SBIT) w Mr Pete as DSB
Me, Rambo Granny (red hat)
Minnesota Rabbit (blue hat)
Bruce ( many hats: green, red, state coordinator, & driving "Miss Daisy" ha ha)
Other instructors are considering. As of now the event is NOT showing on pre Regis/instructors as a line item, but I was able to sign up to work.
The link for student sign up is live.

IMHO, 10 students...for now...is enough.  Think new SBIT doing her thing, a Line boss, a Blue hat, then what does that leave getting down on the line with students?🙀
IF enough more instructors sign up, the registration could be expanded at that time to handle more students which means relays.....at the disgression of the SBIT w her DSB.

Generally LS students are a majority of newbies, many of whom have either never shot a firearm or have never shot a rifle. This takes more time to get them all started if most do not have a clue of "how does this thing work? How do I make it go bang & be safe?"
We really need the first event there to run smoothly with all students getting some attention. Good "press" needed to develop enthusiasm for this program in Orlando over the long haul. Besides if there is competition for student spots, that gets folks to sign up early & FILL the line. :slap:

Going forward at all locations in the state, some considerations:

I have now done 5 Ladyseeds: 3 FL, 2 GA with one being an indoor range with relays.
In no way does this make me an expert on all things LS, but I have made some observations to keep in mind as we grow our state program:

The ideal for LS is an Appleseed for women students, run & taught by women instructors. Trish, our national LS coordinator & SB ran our first FL LS and strongly emphasized those goals.
The students need to see lady instructors who are capable of handling rifles, can teach, and can run a safe event. If we want more female instructors, they need role models! ^:)^
Obviously, we do not now have enough female cadre to reach that "ideal" particularly if we are expanding locations to try to get more female IITs in the process of reaching the fastest growing demographic in shooting sports:women.

Every LS event I have worked to date did have some male instructors who attended...often husbands or fathers of lady instructors. Roles they performed were:
*DSB for lady SBIT
*Keeping rifles running & tightening scopes mounts, swapping out loaners, etc. This allowed lady instructors to stay on the line with students
*extra safety eyes. The relays at an indoor GA range come to mind.
*Assisting individual students when too few lady instructors led to students waiting. Caveat here:
Male instructor should ask the student if she would like his help rather than wait. Some HAVE and some WILL  say NO. It is why they are at a Ladyseed! Males who can be low key are obviously best.
*cooking...lol... Smoak has been an awesome cook at his home venues for the past 3 annual events. Yes real rifleMEN can cook! Obviously, when we are not all camping on the range or a range does not allow it,  that may be a different deal.

IMHO, To make these Ladyseeds closest to ideal as we develop the state program, having the majority instructors & blue hats be females doing the lions share of organizing, running the event,  & teaching should be considered before scheduling an event as a Lady seed.

Thanks everyone as this is a great tool to generally expand our lines & cadre!

RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

308LIBERTY

Getting ready to make some edits to the flyer such as adding exact range fees, fixing a couple typos and simplifying the "what to bring" section (thanks Rambo Granny). I'm under the impression this is a lower round count shoot, so how many rounds per day should I recommend they bring? Also, who wants to be the "local info" at the bottom, for people to call if they have questions?

9mm4545

I don't know that this is to be a low round count shoot so I would just go with the usual recommendation of 500 rounds for the weekend. Having leftovers is not an entirely bad thing... For local contact I would suggest Tom Wagner as he knows the range and the area well.

FabricatorsGal

I'm so excited for y'all!  Another Ladyseed!

Janet, you helped us run relays at the 2nd Georgia Ladyseed.  If y'all have a lot of interested shooters and decide to open registration to 20, you've got the knowledge to help MinuteMom organize relays.  I don't think the relays slowed us down too terribly much in Buford.  And if you have a large turnout, I could come down and help out too.  That weekend is open on my calendar.

I'll be sure to send you the information you requested from the 2nd Ladyseed.  It could certainly help you out with attendance at this upcoming event.

MinuteMom, I'm so excited to see you've begun the SBIT process!  You'll do a great job!

Best wishes,

FabricatorsGal
(Megan)

rambo granny

Thanks so very much Megan.
Just had email from WAW group asking about having a speaker for their meeting to find out more. I'm working 2 other events + the CFRPC range Ladies Day all in April.....& Orlando drive is 2+ hours from home so do not know how that will work for me. We just finished a big event in Arkansas today so will try a phone call to the chapter Leader tomorrow.
Will also ask Dennis to see if the Ladies he mentioned actually have interest in coming to Orlando.
I hear that Dr Nan is the first sign up. Huzzah!

Minutemom

Thank you Megan!!  We would sure love to see you again, and I could glean a lot of knowledge from you if you decide to come!

308LIBERTY

Updated flyer with local contact, range fee and other minor fixes:

xsquidgator

Dwight- Flyer looks great, thanks!
We're running off a bunch of these and will have one placed in each attendee's "goodie bag" for the April 8th Ladies' Day (same venue as the Ladyseed).  The host range is very pleased and supportive.

Minutemom

This is all great news!  Thanks Dwight for the awesome flyer!  Tom, this is great that we can put them in the goodie bags.  I'm so happy the range is so supportive!

rambo granny

Thanks so much to both Dwight & Tom!

minnesotarabit

Wow! love the involvement -

Minutemom, you will do awesome.  Fabricatorsgal, now that is a challenge to have double numbers so we can all see you again and visit!  JustKim, thanks for the input. Hoping your area is the next scheduled Ladies of Liberty AS.

Three o'eight - thanks for a tremendous job on the flyers. I am printing some out to distribute locally.

RG - Do you want me to go down o ORL and speak to the Girl and a Gun group? My schedule is pretty open at this point, but will be gone for a week starting April 18.

9m4545 thanks for getting things posted. How did AR go?

Cableguy and Teacherteach will be joining us! Hip Hip hooray!

Smoak, you are a fabulous cook, and a fabulous Red Hat et al. Let me know if you need anything - are we providing lunch? This is a very different range situation than your beautiful place, but I do not think they would object if we fed lunch to the ladies.

So excited this is coming together!! HUZZAH!!

the "road to glory in a patriot army and a free country is…open to all." - Gen. George Washington, August 7, 1782, in creation of the Badge of Merit

"We, and all others who believe in freedom as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." -   Thomas Jefferson, Jan. 30, 1787

9mm4545

Thanks to all involved. Now, all we need is some good weather.

I do not know if the range has a grill or not. I think maybe not? In the past we just brought our lunch from one of the many restaurants in the area.

The AR shoot went very well, other than we almost had too many on the line. It was "snug". Two new Riflemen though and an invite to return. Not bad for a weekend's work. As for relays, I am not opposed to that and we could double our attendance. While relay A is shooting relay B can prep magazines and watch. LOLAS (Ladies of Liberty Appleseed) seem to run a bit slowly anyway. If the event sells out quickly, then we might consider relays.

I think putting the signup link to the LOLAS-Orlando onto a card or handout which we pass out to the CFRPC Ladies Day attendees might be useful.

xsquidgator

Regarding Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club (CFRPC), the host range for the May Ladyseed:
there is a grill on-property, but... it's a 38 acre property, and the grill/pavilion is about 200 yards away on the other side of the club (other side of the front ranges).  It would be possible to go over there, but I'd recommend against it as it's a hike down the club's driveway.
We have a pretty nice metal roof-covered area available at the mouth of the shooting bay where the AS will be. 

Other fyi:
1) there is a porta-potty 25 yards from the bay, and a running-water indoor bathroom another 50 yards past that.  No electricity though at the bay.
2) I have a 9x9 popup canopy I could bring, 2-3 more would allow the whole line to be covered.
3) Host range rule- eye protection required at all times when not inside your vehicle.
4) There are a number of fast-food choices about 10 minutes away at the intersection of Moss Park Road and Narcoossee Road.  (Subway, McDs, Burger King, Taco Bell, Dunkin Donuts, etc)

Squeeeeezer

I am so excited for this event.  As a shooter I am happy that we won't be be doing the line in relay style.

Hopefully it won't be full when I am able to sign up.

Thank you all for all you do.  Looking forward to seeing you ladies (and gentlemen) again.

Donna (Squeeeeezer)

Minutemom

Donna!  Holy cow, girl, it would be so great to see you!  Please go sign up and secure your spot!!!   ^:)^