News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Macon, GA 18-19 March 2017 AAR

Started by brianf31, March 20, 2017, 11:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianf31

Marion Road Gun Club in Macon, GA hosted a two-day Appleseed clinic on 18-19 March 2017. Six attentive shooters came out to hear some American history and learn traditional rifle marksmanship. The shoot started out cool and wet but transformed into a beautiful weekend.

After introduction and a safety brief, students shot their first redcoat to gage skill level. Instructors quickly discovered that we had a firing line comprised of capable shooters. We rolled right into instruction, teaching steady hold factors, six steps of the shot and natural point of aim, each lesson put into immediate practice with a drill following. It was quite common to see the majority of hits inside the black target squares as shot groups decreased in size.

Throughout the day, shooters heard the true story of April 19th, 1775 through the telling of the Three Strikes of The Match. The history of Paul Revere's ride, Lexington and Concord was told to share the fact that we are all inheritors and stewards of liberty and freedom that was paid for in blood.

Lessons were given on talking targets, Inches, Minutes and Clicks and firing in rifleman's cadence. Targets paid the price as shooters learned and applied the fundamentals of shooting in seated and standing positions.

The Appleseed Qualification test was shot Saturday afternoon. We had those among us who knew what they were about. Scott and Kyle requalified with scores of 237 and 228, respectively. Kyle did it with an iron sighted, bolt action M44 World War II trainer rifle. Huzzah! Hunter, on his first time out to an Appleseed, shot a very impressive 223.

Chris proved himself to be a quick learner, his targets bearing the fact as group sizes continually shrank. Alex and Mickey demonstrated youthful mastery of rifle marksmanship with frequent hits on the scaled 300 yard and 400 yard targets.

Scott, who previously qualified as rifleman last year, stepped up to take an orange hat as an Instructor In Training. Thank you sir. It was an honor to hand a red hat to Trevor, who officially became a full instructor. We retired his old orange hat in grand fashion, as students and instructors alike ventilated it.

Sunday started and ended beautifully, both in terms of weather and reward. After reviewing all of Saturday's instruction, practice squares targets were shot to warm everyone up. After shooting our first AQT on Sunday, specific drills were ran to work on natural point of aim, transitions to seated and prone and mag changes.

Marion Road Gun Club provided us all with a wonderful barbeque lunch. Lunch was followed with tales of Dangerous Old Men and Brave Women before we headed back to the line for our second AQT.  Rifleman scores were shot again by both Hunter and Kyle. Scott would have, but we put him to work under his new orange hat!

Full distance shooting was taught, where students learned how to apply come-ups and deal with wind at extended range. The lesson was put into practice as we backed up from 25 meters to 100 yards. After an initial string of fire, students applied Inches Minutes and Clicks to get their hits on target. With zeroes confirmed, we engaged in a little friendly team competition on 4 MOA and 6 MOA steel targets. Congratulations to Mickey and Kyle for winning the coveted Appleseed coozies! 

The marksmanship was so exceptional, it was clear that shooters needed something a little more challenging, Clay pigeons were set out to prove our shooters could hit 3.5 MOA targets from prone. There wasn't a one left intact. Even fragments suffered a powdery fate. It was a great way to end the day.

Thanks to Marion Road Gun Club for being such a faithful and hospitable host. Thank you all, shooters, for your teachable attitudes and enthusiasm.  It was an honor and privilege to work with you. We hope to see you again.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Kyle Turner

Thanks for the time and effort of the instructor cadre coming out in inclement weather and providing such high quality instruction with such high spirits.  I know who the "sunshine patriots" are NOT in middle Georgia!  It's always a pleasure to have Appleseed at Marion Road Gun Club.  We'll do better at rounding up new participants for the Summer shoot, I promise.

Scott_R

I had a great time no matter which hat I was wearing.  Great bunch of patriots all around!

Thanks, and I hope to see everyone again, soon.

Offroadie

I had a great time.  More Americans should learn accurate accounts of our nation's beginnings… as well as good marksmanship skills.  I look forward to continued "perfect practice" and another Appleseed at some point in my future. 

Many thanks to Scott for introducing me to this event, and to Brian and the instructors for giving of their time in an effort to spread their knowledge and abilities.

- Hunter

Roswell

Congratulations Riflemen! Thank you Scott_R for stepping up! And Huzzah to Canbrit!  O0
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23