News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hollywood, FL MAR 4-5, 2017

Started by 9mm4545, March 05, 2017, 11:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

Amazing, wonderful, fulfilling, rewarding, and fun. These words cannot begin to describe this fantastic shoot but they make a good start. An awesome group of students in a great facility with wonderful hosts, instructors, and friends, while enjoying beautiful weather; now, what is not to like? The only question now: "when can we do it again?". There is more to come, much more. Feel free to chime in and share your thoughts, experiences, and suggestions. Oh yeah, and let's see some pictures here too! Thank you to everyone for making this blessed weekend happen.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

wredlich

This was my first Appleseed. It was a great experience.

It was challenging, both mentally and physically. On the physical side it was hard on my body. I'm 50 years old, overweight but in reasonably good shape generally. It was hard on my back, my neck, my shoulders and elbows and I have a sore spot on my ribs. I did not have a full pad for laying on the concrete but used a couple beach towels. Pad would probably have helped a lot. Not blaming anyone. It was in the list of things to bring and that's on me. It's now about 15 hours after we finished and I am mostly recovered physically.

Mentally it was a real firehose of information. If I have a suggestion - and I'm not sure I'm correct in this - it's that instructors should think about picking a few things that are most important for beginners. As a golfer I learned you don't want to be thinking about too many things when you're swinging a club. I think it's the same thing when you're pulling - I mean squeezing - the trigger.

Really appreciate the wonderful people who set this up and led the event. Very helpful in so many ways. The club was also welcoming and that was appreciated.

I would definitely like to do this again and would try to recruit others to come with me.

Thank  you!!!!

Warren

B.C.

One word:wow! What an event indeed my friends. Thanks to our range hosts for providing one of the most memorable shoots in recent memory. The students were absolutely wonderful and tons of progress was made. The founders would be proud of the fine Americans who came out this past weekend to engage in the first American martial art of marksmanship. I can only hope all learned a little something about themselves and the god given liberties we hold so dear.  Special thanks also to all the instructors who diligently and selflessly shared their time and resources and drove the entire length of Florida to go south for this event. I never cease to be amazed at the burning love for lady liberty and our message my fellow instructors impart at every event. Again I soaked up the wisdom of those far wiser than I and for that, I thank you all my friends. Also congratulations are in high order for our newest south Florida riflemen: David with a 211, Dexter with a 215 and James who scored 4 times in a row with a high score of 220. You gentlemen are indeed men who know what they are all about. Remember: spread the word, plant the "seed" of liberty you were given over the weekend and let it grow and never, never let the flame be snuffed out. We were given a challenge by the founders, "If you can keep it". Lets rise to the challenge and do our part.  I'm a better person because of this weekend, I hope you all are too. Enjoy the few pictures I took below:
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

B.C.

A few more........

B.C.

Quote from: wredlich on March 06, 2017, 09:55:42 AM
This was my first Appleseed. It was a great experience.

It was challenging, both mentally and physically. On the physical side it was hard on my body. I'm 50 years old, overweight but in reasonably good shape generally. It was hard on my back, my neck, my shoulders and elbows and I have a sore spot on my ribs. I did not have a full pad for laying on the concrete but used a couple beach towels. Pad would probably have helped a lot. Not blaming anyone. It was in the list of things to bring and that's on me. It's now about 15 hours after we finished and I am mostly recovered physically.

Mentally it was a real fire hose of information. If I have a suggestion - and I'm not sure I'm correct in this - it's that instructors should think about picking a few things that are most important for beginners. As a golfer I learned you don't want to be thinking about too many things when you're swinging a club. I think it's the same thing when you're pulling - I mean squeezing - the trigger.

Really appreciate the wonderful people who set this up and led the event. Very helpful in so many ways. The club was also welcoming and that was appreciated.

I would definitely like to do this again and would try to recruit others to come with me.

Thank  you!!!!

Warren

Hi Warren, I'm pleased you had an enjoyable time and will be coming back with friends. Thank you for the feedback. Indeed the instruction is akin to drinking from a fire hose - no doubt about that. We did have a lot of ground to cover in short order. I trust though that you learned a lot and have become more comfortable with your rifle from the weekend event. Thank you for your thoughts and I hope to see you on the line again very soon.

Chris

Cable___Guy

Great Strides were made on Newbie Island,  All shooters brought a teachable attitude and Level of Grit and persistence that Brings a Big smile to every instructor that witnessed it.

Congrats to our new Riflemen.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

CAPTJAMESDEAN

Thank you to all the instructors for your selfless volunteering helping promote this great freedom we have. This was my first Appleseed that I have attended and plan to do more with my son (work on his rifleman patch next). Already have the garand cleaned,oiled and with the sling adjusted dry firing at electric outlets! Looking to go to a center fire range Appleseed soon!

rambo granny

Thanks Warren & Captain James Dean for your comments. We are still on the road as I write, but the glow of working with such awesome students as yourselves, our fearless instructors and Apple Core cadre is still burning brightly. Great to see our range friends again too as you guys run a class act club. All of You  made the long trip worth it.
So glad to hear students taking my promise to "haunt" you if you didn't start dry firing seriously...& so soon. ðŸ˜, LOL! I will be scarring my reduced scale target with my own dry practice tomorrow.
Next best thing to actual recoil therapy.  :1luvu :snipersmi
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

9mm4545

Several of you asked where to get the Kydex comb riser that we used to raise the comb in an attempt to make rifles fit the students. Well, here you go: http://www.kyrifle.com/quick-weld-cheekrest While I am sharing links, here is a link to some really good long range shooting stuff. The whole series is spot on and the sections on mounting a scope and rifle cleaning are very helpful. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLACF2AEF0EC711484 Finally, this site also has some really great tips on shooting the service rifle: http://www.beingofservicerifle.com/ The YouTube videos by Ken Roxburgh https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ken+roxburgh explore the positions we teach in great detail and you may find them helpful. I did! Instructors may find this little device for quick attaching a GI sling to a Ruger 10/22 useful. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GI-sling-adapter-for-Ruger-10-22-with-barrel-band-/142195442909?hash=item211b8244dd:g:lQIAAOSwxCxT984L The one I had been using for a very long time finally gave up the ghost at this shoot but I do plan on getting another as they are just too handy.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

rambo granny

About that dry practice....

For DRY PRACTICE @ 10 feet, SEE POST BELOW FOR ATTACHMENT of the chart.
This link is only available for instructor access   http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6265.0

REMEMBER:
FOR DRY PRACTICE DOUBLE CHECK YOUR RIFLE AND EVERY MAG YOU INTEND TO USE TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE ALL EMPTY. ABSOLUTELY NO AMMO IN ROOM. SAFETY FIRST!!!
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

minnesotarabit

Really great shoot, Club and range was top notch, and the shooters - - you guys were spot on! Great attitudes, attentive, trying to put things into action, and persistent! Thank you to all the Instructors and AC that stepped up and showed up to help us, it would have been challenging with so many on the line without you all. Thank you to the Club as well, never had so many members just come to watch and honor what the Cadre was doing, thank you for your kindnesses. To our newest Orange Hat D. and Blue P., thank you for stepping up. We need more like you both.

It was great to get to see other LB and instructors in action. Man did I learn a lot from both Joe and Smoak. You both are amazing! Brian, you did a really nice job as well. Cable_guy, you can really story tell, as can BigChris. Everyone really shined, was so proud to be part of this fine FL Cadre. Miss Conduct, thank you for all the support, help, running your legs off, and offering so much encouragement.

9mm4545, we might have to get BigChris one of those green hats for the next visit, however. He kept knocking the pigeons off the beams.

Was very impressed with how high the scores overall were by Sunday, great job, shooters! Huzzah!

And RG, I think that green hat looks pretty darn good on you......
the "road to glory in a patriot army and a free country is…open to all." - Gen. George Washington, August 7, 1782, in creation of the Badge of Merit

"We, and all others who believe in freedom as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." -   Thomas Jefferson, Jan. 30, 1787

B.C.

Yes indeed! A special thanks to Applecore, without you it would not have happened so smoothly!

minnesotarabit

Thanks Big Guy - love your avatar, BTW!
the "road to glory in a patriot army and a free country is…open to all." - Gen. George Washington, August 7, 1782, in creation of the Badge of Merit

"We, and all others who believe in freedom as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." -   Thomas Jefferson, Jan. 30, 1787

rambo granny

Here is the attachment of the 10 ft AQT & Squares dry practice chart.
You will need to post the reduced scale 100 yd target for standing height, then seated and prone targets lower.

2wheelDuke

I had my comments all typed up on my phone, only to find out that the picture upload didn't want to play nice.  So here we go again from a real computer. 

This was the view of the range Friday during setup.

If that's not a good sign, I don't know what is. 

It's always great to have Appleseed at my local range.  This weekend's shoot was everything I've come to expect when Appleseed is in town.  However, I got to see it from a new angle this time after answering the call and accepting an orange hat. 

I knew from before that shooting an Appleseed event isn't easy and you definitely feel it afterwards.  Now I can say from experience that working a shoot is every bit as challenging.  However, both are rewarding experiences. 

I'm looking forward to the next shoot, and I know I'm not the only one.