News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

10/22 Takedown Taxxachusetts legal?

Started by MinuteManMike, March 05, 2017, 01:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinuteManMike

Pretty simple.  Considering the July 2017 Appleseed, is my 10/22 Takedown Taxxachusetts legal?  I have a Mannlicher and a Takedown and I wanted to use both to take my nephew to the Appleseed.  Hate to have to buy a new gun just cuz gun laws there are moronic.
Born 2.3 miles from where the SHRTW rang out.  The echoes there still ring.

lupis42

While I'm neither an MA AG nor a lawyer, and have never even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, 10/22 takedowns are common in MA, and there's no obvious reason why they wouldn't be MA legal. 

There's a decent FAQ on the subject here:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/157704-MA-Assault-Weapons-Ban-quot-AWB-quot-FAQ?p=2308588&viewfull=1#post2308588
You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.

aim

Project Appleseed does not prohibit the use of a Ruger 10/22 Takedown during an event (unlike, for example, an M&P 15-22).

The question of whether any self-loading rifle may or may not result in legal headaches for the owner in the Commonwealth is still causing the sacrifice of billions of innocent electrons on Northeastshooters.som and elsewhere. I am not familiar with any practicing lawyers among MA Instructors, so we are unable to offer you legal guidance in that regard. I would guess that adding a bayonet lug and a flash hider to it would definitely make it a no-no, however.

It is a nice rifle that, after a few early difficulties, tends to do well at Appleseed events.

Quote from: MinuteManMike on March 05, 2017, 01:31:11 PM
Pretty simple.  Considering the July 2017 Appleseed, is my 10/22 Takedown Taxxachusetts legal?  I have a Mannlicher and a Takedown and I wanted to use both to take my nephew to the Appleseed.  Hate to have to buy a new gun just cuz gun laws there are moronic.
Shiny!

MinuteManMike

Good to read.  I didn't see any reason, but reason doesn't oft figure into anti-gun sentiment in my home state.  Dang annoying that they don't honour my CCW either. #)
Born 2.3 miles from where the SHRTW rang out.  The echoes there still ring.

mwolf

10/22 Takedown rifles are still being sold at MA gun shops post-enforcement-notice. I purchased my takedown post-enforcement-notice and shot with it many times at many different ranges in MA.

I am also not a lawyer... but I think the firearms community in MA would be extremely surprised if a non-resident were given trouble over a 10/22 TD.