News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Website

Started by TxRebel, February 27, 2017, 11:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxRebel

I just went to our website and the new look is killer.  I'm still playing with it and checking everything out.

I WANTED TO SAY WELL DONE SCUZZY, WELL DONE SIR!  HUZZAH!!!

:F :~
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin

WhitePaladin

It looks terrific!  Good job scuzzy!!   O0^:)^

Roswell

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

cwcdl79

AF5US

Agreed, very nice.

It looks like if you've visited recently, your computer may have the previous version cached.  This can lead to page errors.  So for example I can hit the old home page, but if I go to the sign-up link from there I get a 404 message.  However if I click the link from THAT page, I can get to the sign-up page. 

I tested on a different computer, and got to the new home page.  Everything worked fine.  I also cleared my cache / cookies on the first machine, and it then worked fine.

This is just a good thing for all of us to know, in case you have a similar problem or especially if you have friends that looked at the site once, are thinking of signing up, and run in to this same issue.  We need to be able to explain what happened and how to resolve it.

In closing - YES!  IT LOOKS GREAT! (Any hints on the new challenge coin I saw referenced on Facebook?)

:F
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

scuzzy

I didn't design it - just added our existing scheduling system and fixed bugs here and there. I'm not good at design/graphics. I'm a programmer/sysadmin type.

ThePoet had some people he works with, Concentric, do all design.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

colonial shooter

Not to be negative but found a date wrong on the website. Under the programs tab, marksmanship clinics. It states that the student will learn of the events of April 15 1775. Ooops, a few days early!!
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

scuzzy

Yup - thanks for the bug report. Fixed. And found another error on that page too. Bout to fix that.

Laredo

The new site is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy cow, nice job!
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

TxRebel

Scuzzy-  would you like us to report and errors or issues we find here?  Or should we just let you do your job and keep our noses out of it?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin

Monkey

This website goes miles to expressing our professionalism as a national organization.

Or, as my younger Sailors would say, "The site is LEGIT."

Very well done, sir.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

scuzzy

Quote from: TxRebel on February 27, 2017, 07:35:30 PM
Scuzzy-  would you like us to report and errors or issues we find here?  Or should we just let you do your job and keep our noses out of it?

Oh yeah - please report errors. I'm getting reports via PMs too  so there are bugs here and there.

Y'all report - I fix.

scuzzy

Quote from: Monkey on February 27, 2017, 08:11:05 PM
This website goes miles to expressing our professionalism as a national organization.

Or, as my younger Sailors would say, "The site is LEGIT."

Very well done, sir.

Thank ThePoet for getting this going. I just added scheduling and am fixing bugs.

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Monkey

Bug report:  When clicking on hyperlinks for IBC and RBC info, it directs to this page:

http://appleseedinfo.org/boot_camps.html

This page is 404.

vr/
Monkey

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

scuzzy

Quote from: Monkey on March 22, 2017, 12:43:14 AM
Bug report:  When clicking on hyperlinks for IBC and RBC info, it directs to this page:

This page is 404.

vr/
Monkey

Thanks for the bug report. I'm guessing that it's linked from another website? Works on ours.

Monkey

Quote from: scuzzy on March 22, 2017, 08:51:37 AM
Quote from: Monkey on March 22, 2017, 12:43:14 AM

This page is 404.

vr/
Monkey

Thanks for the bug report. I'm guessing that it's linked from another website? Works on ours.

Here's the launch page of the offending link:

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=18

― Hyman G. Rickover

AF5US

For whatever it's worth, I just tested on two different browsers and also got the dreaded 404 :-\
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

hogfamily

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

Vinnie

very pretty site!

Couple of bugs to report:

1. Find an Event - California:  > Please Read: "How to Prepare for an Event" links to 404 Dead Link > http://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html
Solution: Should link to this page: http://appleseedinfo.org/how-to-prepare/

2. On the Eventbrite page: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sacramento-ca-appleseed-october-14-15-2017-tickets-30139619413?aff=erellivmlt
This section: All Participants are responsible for being prepared, Please be sure to read your confirmation e-mail.  It will direct you to links on how to prepare for this event. or go to: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=101.0  < Should link instead to this page:  http://appleseedinfo.org/how-to-prepare/

Thanks,
Vinnie

Vinnie

p.s. - Eventbrite confirmation e-mail section on how to prepare for the event should also link to:  http://appleseedinfo.org/how-to-prepare/

TxRebel

Every time I try to go to "EVENTS", the first time the page just reloads.  The second time I get the map and can click on a state.  Anyone else seeing that.  Its happened to me every time on the new site
- Edmund Burke

-Benjamin Franklin

Nashville Stage

Quote from: TxRebel on March 23, 2017, 05:52:52 PM
Every time I try to go to "EVENTS", the first time the page just reloads.  The second time I get the map and can click on a state.  Anyone else seeing that.  Its happened to me every time on the new site

That's been working fine on my end... Firefox for Android, Firefox & Safari for Mac.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

scuzzy

Most things fixed. Still gotta figure out what to do about eventbrite pages.

Lots of events scheduled and it would take days to fix all the pages. May just update the linked forum page with the html page.

Or setup a redirect. Don't like those too much cause things sometimes break - and we have a bunch of those already.

Nashville Stage

I'm curious how the boilerplate/template portion of the EventBright information is generated (asking out of ignorance here...). Could the information be linked/pulled live from the Appleseed site each time, so that updates would propagate immediately?
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

scuzzy

Quote from: Nashville Stage on March 24, 2017, 05:13:34 PM
I'm curious how the boilerplate/template portion of the EventBright information is generated (asking out of ignorance here...). Could the information be linked/pulled live from the Appleseed site each time, so that updates would propagate immediately?

EventBrite is it's own animal. I don't have much control over how it runs. It's a pain.

scuzzy

Did two things for ticket confirmation and notices on EB:

1. Changed the forum post which is linked to from EB:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=101.0

Now updated. Had some stuff on it that needs to be changed/removed link 'low round count' etc.

2. Confirmation page. This is what people see when they go to EB, they then register via Paypal, and they are then redirected here:

http://appleseedinfo.org/confirmation/

So during registration, and after, they should be good.