News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Green laser for demo rifle

Started by TxRebel, February 22, 2017, 08:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxRebel

I've found an excellent green laser for demo rifles. You can see the laser at 25 meters in the daylight.

$21.79 on amazon with a rail mount

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019Q05CNY/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin

AF5US

I will second this as a great laser.  We used it for not only NPOA, but to demonstrate the importance of breath control, not dragging wood etc.

I've already ordered mine for next month's event, since SOMEONE (TXRebel) won't be there to loan his.  Something about quality family time.  Or vacation.  Or something.  Whatever.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

PaleRider

Just bought one last night! Thanks, Dan!
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

TxRebel

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin

Charles McKinley

Thank you for the link.  It is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff on Amazon sometimes.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

scuzzy

Just ordered one myself. After seeing TxRebels I thought it was time to get rid of the cheapo walmart lazer. It's pretty nice. Rail mounts included are nice too.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

TxRebel

I've got those rails for you too scuzzy. Let me know when you want to have a drink and I'll bring them
- Edmund Burke

-Benjamin Franklin

scuzzy

Quote from: TxRebel on February 27, 2017, 06:48:35 PM
I've got those rails for you too scuzzy. Let me know when you want to have a drink and I'll bring them

Ya brother - a cold one would be nice. I'll get in touch.

DrRichP

Mine get delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to see 'em.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

AF5US

As a side note, I saw what I'm 99% sure to be the same model on Cheaper Than Dirt for over twice as much.

I really think that it was impressive for the shooters to see just HOW MUCH of a difference things like breath control or dragging wood can make a difference between the time the bullet leaves the barrel and the time it reaches the target.

Thanks again Dan, it was a well-timed tip as we're both building out our instructor box!

PaleRider

Just got this green laser today. It is fantastic! Wow is it powerful! Thanks, Dan!
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

Richard D. Jones

Ordered 2. LOL. Just couldn't resist
"A Man's Pistol is used to get to his Rifle"

TxRebel

I'm glad I found a quality laser for a economic price.  Happy to share my discovery
- Edmund Burke

-Benjamin Franklin

EZ3

Quote from: TxRebel on March 03, 2017, 10:54:07 AM
I'm glad I found a quality laser for a economic price.  Happy to share my discovery

Mine came today and didn't work at all.  Tried the vendor-supplied battery, then a "known good" one.  Tried the tail cap switch and the remote.  Nothing.
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

scuzzy

Quote from: EZ3 on March 03, 2017, 08:22:25 PM
Mine came today and didn't work at all.  Tried the vendor-supplied battery, then a "known good" one.  Tried the tail cap switch and the remote.  Nothing.

When I first got mine I'd inserted the battery with the positive end in first like all my other toys. No workie. So I switched it around so that the positive end was next to the end cap and it worked. I imagine you'd already tried that though but thought I'd throw that in just in case.

AF5US

EZ3 keep us updated.  Seems like it's worked well for most people but if we're going to continue to recommend, I'd like to know of any issues (and the frequency thereof)

maxwell

Quote from: AF5US on March 04, 2017, 11:55:21 AM
EZ3 keep us updated.  Seems like it's worked well for most people but if we're going to continue to recommend, I'd like to know of any issues (and the frequency thereof)

Kimber Custom has been using his for at least a couple years, and mine works fine after a year. There are a dozen of these things on Amazon that all probably come out of the same overseas factory, and at this price point I'd expect that QC is not great. I just need to rig up a QD mount, since the side mount keeps my spare AR from fitting in a case, and it's too loose unless I crank down the Allen screws.

EZ3

Quote from: scuzzy on March 03, 2017, 08:50:36 PM
Quote from: EZ3 on March 03, 2017, 08:22:25 PM

When I first got mine I'd inserted the battery with the positive end in first like all my other toys. No workie. So I switched it around so that the positive end was next to the end cap and it worked. I imagine you'd already tried that though but thought I'd throw that in just in case.

Thanks, scuzzy!  Works fine with the battery in bass-ackwards!    :slap:
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

TxRebel

Glad to hear it was just a polarity issue
- Edmund Burke

-Benjamin Franklin

2wheelDuke

Thanks for the tip.  I bought one because of this thread.  I'm working on putting a demo rifle together, this should be great.  I'm also really tempted to try it on a couple guns I've already got just to play around.  I've never shot with a laser sight before. 

This sucker is BRIGHT.  It's pretty easily visible in bright sun.  It's almost too bright when I tried it in a dark room. 

How's battery life?  Has anyone tried a rechargeable battery yet?   

TxRebel

I haven't had mine long enough to kill a battery yet. Mine is strictly for the demo rifle so I'm hoping to just change the battery once a year with how little use it gets. Whoever kills a battery let us know your approximate run time. Thx
- Edmund Burke

-Benjamin Franklin

9mm4545

Something fun and informative you can do with a powerful green laser is demonstrate how much movement it takes to shift from one target to another at 25 meters. The laser is clearly visible even 25 meters away. Have a student try it. Or you can use it to point out constellations in the night sky. Just be sure that there are no aircraft in the neighborhood! Lastly, these are great for cat torment but you will need extra batteries, lots of extra batteries... :)
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

2wheelDuke

Quote from: TxRebel on March 11, 2017, 01:35:43 AM
I haven't had mine long enough to kill a battery yet. Mine is strictly for the demo rifle so I'm hoping to just change the battery once a year with how little use it gets. Whoever kills a battery let us know your approximate run time. Thx

I have several spares batteries on hand for my weapon lights I use at work.  I also wanted to play with that light on an AR pistol at the range.  So far I've only shined it around to see how bright it looks in different lighting conditions.  It's so bright that I'm afraid to have the cat or dog chase it. 

I haven't tried a rechargeable 123 in a decade.  But back when I was a rookie my dad gave me a set when he saw how fast I was going through 123 batteries in my belt light.  The rechargeables would be a little over voltage when they came off the charger and could pop those expensive xenon bulbs we used back then. 

navybowhunter

I opened mine up today.  Anyone mess with the elevation/windage adjustment?  Fairly easy to get dialed in?

Pics?  Since I learned how to do that now.  NO Labs were harmed in the laser demo! LOLz

maxwell

Quote from: navybowhunter on March 12, 2017, 03:03:04 PM
I opened mine up today.  Anyone mess with the elevation/windage adjustment?  Fairly easy to get dialed in?

Mine didn't have enough adjustment to zero it at the typical NPOA demo distance, but it's close enough to see through the scope. I discovered that a wrap of athletic tape makes it stay in the mount with enough tension to stay on a Picatinny rail section during a demo, but slide off without using tools.

AF5US

Interesting.  I didn't have to add any extra wrap to mine.

At $20 I basically bought it as a visual aid for the students.  It's one thing to tell them, "Follow through with the trigger or you'll throw your shots."  It's another to say, "Look at how you're completely throwing your shots off the target when you're not following through."  Seeing is believing.

That said - I'm doing the Waco event this weekend, if I can squeeze some range time Saturday evening I'll see if I can't get an idea of how well it holds an actual zero.  No promises  :~

navybowhunter

Using the mount provided, tightening only the middle screw/bolt was enough for the mount to securely hold the laser.

I believe the fore and aft screws/bolts are only for attaching to a pic rail.  Center one is for securing the laser in mount.

No wrap needed as well.

r/
Chris

TxRebel

This is exactly how it works. Glad more people are getting on this laser. i think it's a great laser at a great price. I'm hopeful we continue to see positive results.

Quote from: navybowhunter on March 15, 2017, 08:28:50 AM
Using the mount provided, tightening only the middle screw/bolt was enough for the mount to securely hold the laser.

I believe the fore and aft screws/bolts are only for attaching to a pic rail.  Center one is for securing the laser in mount.

No wrap needed as well.

r/
Chris
- Edmund Burke

-Benjamin Franklin

maxwell

Quote from: navybowhunter on March 15, 2017, 08:28:50 AM

No wrap needed as well.

r/
Chris

Correct, that's how it's supposed to work, but I found that if I tightened the middle one enough to secure the laser, then I couldn't slide the mount on/off the pic rail; maybe they've improved the tolerances since I bought mine, or maybe my Troy rail is fat. YMMV.

2wheelDuke

I haven't got to play with the laser as much as I'd like, but I have got a couple solid hours of run time in so far, in 10-15 minute intervals.  We'll see how long it goes before the supplied battery gives up.