News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

No mention of the famous ride in Paul Reveres obituary

Started by Engineer shooting, February 20, 2017, 10:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer shooting

The Columbian Centinel 18 May 1818, Deaths.

On Sunday, PAUL REVERE Esq. in the 84th year of age. During his protracted life his activity in business and benevolence vigor of mind and strength of constitution were unabated He was one of the earliest and most indefatigable patriots and soldiers of the Revolution and has filled with fidelity ability and usefulness many important situations in the military and civil service of his country and has stood at the head of valued and beneficent institutions. Seldom has the tomb closed over a life so honorable and useful.

A minor footnote in history until Wadsworth poem: "Paul Revere's Ride" (1860) is a poem by American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow that commemorates the actions of American patriot Paul Revere on April 18, 1775, although with significant inaccuracies. It was first published in the January 1861 issue of The Atlantic Monthly.

LISTEN, my children, and you shall hear   
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,   
On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-five;   
Hardly a man is now alive   
Who remembers that famous day and year.
He said to his friend, ‘If the British march   
By land or sea from the town to-night,   
Hang a lantern aloft in the belfry arch   
Of the North Church tower as a signal light,â€"   
One, if by land, and two, if by sea;
And I on the opposite shore will be,   
Ready to ride and spread the alarm   
Through every Middlesex village and farm,   
For the country folk to be up and to arm.'   
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

rambo granny

Thanks for sharing!
Even the early media didn't print the whole story....
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

Minutemom

I'm planning on leading off my telling of the First Strike this weekend with part of this poem!  Apparently, Paul Revere was not much more than just a local legend before Longfellow wrote the poem about him, and the poem is one of the main reasons that so many inaccuracies exist about Paul Revere's ride.  Fascinating!
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

smoakingun

how is it PHenry has yet to swing by and check out a ladyseed?
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

Guntuckian

Paul Revere likely considered his ride a failure.  After all, he failed to get to Concord to warn the town fathers.

Longfellow's poem in 1861, though, is what fundamentally forever changed the image of the Midnight Ride.  This poem also appeared in readers in American one-room schoolhouses, and that is what truly went and created the man, the myth, the legend. 

But, from little acorns, mighty oaks do grow.  The story is now great American Heritage, and is forevermore firmly embedded in the American psyche.  "The British are Coming" is but one example of the myth that exists today.  Totally false, but it is what people "know".

Obituaries rarely speak ill of the dead, except in those rare cases of notoriously evil people.  Paul Revere was a good man who benefitted from a Longfellow poem.  The early popularity of the poem likely stemmed from the need to wax nostalgic of better times during 1861-1865, as the Second Civil War raged on.

--gb

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

minnesotarabit

At the time of Revere's death, it probably was not considered abnormal having done a ride, since so many did rides all throughout the war. His is just the one that got incorrectly immortalized.

And Smoak, you are right, how is it phenry has missed us LadySeeders??

He stops by we might even find it neighborly to feed him...
the "road to glory in a patriot army and a free country is…open to all." - Gen. George Washington, August 7, 1782, in creation of the Badge of Merit

"We, and all others who believe in freedom as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." -   Thomas Jefferson, Jan. 30, 1787

PHenry

Well, looks like ya got my attention. I am currently hoping to "recruit" a female shooter from last weekend to become an instructor. She's coming up to the IBC at Ramseur in August. So, maybe I can not only stop by, but bring a more welcomed addition of a proper LadySeed instructor. She already works with women who are new to shooting at Shoot Straight in Clearwater.

Just let me know where and when and if I can make, you have my word I will.  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Minutemom

Bring her to the Gainesville shoot in October!!!!  Pretty please?

Quote from: PHenry on February 26, 2017, 01:27:28 PM
Well, looks like ya got my attention. I am currently hoping to "recruit" a female shooter from last weekend to become an instructor. She's coming up to the IBC at Ramseur in August. So, maybe I can not only stop by, but bring a more welcomed addition of a proper LadySeed instructor. She already works with women who are new to shooting at Shoot Straight in Clearwater.

Just let me know where and when and if I can make, you have my word I will.  O0
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

minnesotarabit

Great job, phenry! Looking forward to meeting this addition to the AS/LS family. And we might still feed you!
O0 O0
the "road to glory in a patriot army and a free country is…open to all." - Gen. George Washington, August 7, 1782, in creation of the Badge of Merit

"We, and all others who believe in freedom as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." -   Thomas Jefferson, Jan. 30, 1787